Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

The Roar: My 2019 AFL bottom 10 predictions.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/03/my-2019-afl-bottom-10-predictions/

AFLfan has picked us to come 17th in 2019. Personally I can't see that happening but if the players needed a little more motivation......

This guy is basing his predictions off last years result and our trade ins/outs purely from a talent perspective.

He (and everyone else) see our failures of this year to be around a list that lacks talent. But anyone who has taken time to look a little deeper (all the way back to 2016/17 :rolleyes:) knows our biggest shortfall is leadership. Hannebery is as close to a Riewoldt replacement as was possible. A massive inclusion. If he finds form it will be hailed a master stroke.

He fails to take into account the mass overhaul of coaching staff (Ratten/lade) and other very influential ‘footy heads’ (ie Gubby) and the mentoring of Billy Slater.

The fact Ratten isn’t mentioned at all is a gross oversight as his appointment is greater than that of any player. IMO

The Roar: My 2019 AFL bottom 10 predictions.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/03/my-2019-afl-bottom-10-predictions/

AFLfan has picked us to come 17th in 2019. Personally I can't see that happening but if the players needed a little more motivation......
Lol, looks like it was written by an 8 year old. Starts a sentence with 'The', says the new year is upon us when it was posted yesterday. Jarry Lyons? Izack Rankine? Dan Hannebury? Ben King? "DEPSITE getting Sam Lloyd and Taylor DUREA".

Posted yesterday but doesn't know Mitch McGovern is injured. Sam Walsh a rifle midfielder whatever that means.

Travis Cloyer. Jarred Polec.

Got to laugh.

This guy is basing his predictions off last years result and our trade ins/outs purely from a talent perspective.

He (and everyone else) see our failures of this year to be around a list that lacks talent. But anyone who has taken time to look a little deeper (all the way back to 2016/17 :rolleyes:) knows our biggest shortfall is leadership. Hannebery is as close to a Riewoldt replacement as was possible. A massive inclusion. If he finds form it will be hailed a master stroke.

He fails to take into account the mass overhaul of coaching staff (Ratten/lade) and other very influential ‘footy heads’ (ie Gubby) and the mentoring of Billy Slater.

The fact Ratten isn’t mentioned at all is a gross oversight as his appointment is greater than that of any player. IMO
Exactly how I felt after reading the article. You could also add the fact that the majority of players we have recruited are mature age, speedy footballers that will hopefully address some of our list deficiencies

Lol, looks like it was written by an 8 year old. Starts a sentence with 'The', says the new year is upon us when it was posted yesterday. Jarry Lyons? Izack Rankine? Dan Hannebury? Ben King? "DEPSITE getting Sam Lloyd and Taylor DUREA".

Posted yesterday but doesn't know Mitch McGovern is injured. Sam Walsh a rifle midfielder whatever that means.

Travis Cloyer. Jarred Polec.

Got to laugh.
The incompetence of it all! ;)

I'm thinking a rifle midfielder is someone who shoots down opposing midfielders! :think:
Which makes Sam Walsh a very dangerous customer indeed!

The incompetence of it all! ;)

I'm thinking a rifle midfielder is someone who shoots down opposing midfielders! :think:
Which makes Sam Walsh a very dangerous customer indeed!
Walsh's Wild Wild West!

article is a joke but he's only -1 place from where i have us finishing. i gave us 5 wins and that put us 3rd last. 15th.
I hope you are wrong but I can see why you would feel that way.
I'm a bit more optimistic than you. IMO a 10th-14th finish would be reasonable ; however, if we can get some momentum and gain some confidence then a higher finish might be possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything from 7th to 12th. I think this is reasonable. Anything higher is unrealistic, anything lower I would perceive as final proof of incompetence by fragile unskilled players.

Collingwood thought top 8 was unrealistic too though. There is always hope but agree with the sentiment.

Does anyone know how Bytel's back is coming along? When can we expect to see him available for selection?
Might learn more when they come back to the club on Monday!
No rush with the boy, but it's an injury they most certainly want to get sorted and on top of
At his age!
The upside for us could be huge in the long run, as I really rate him and we were very fortunate
He slid all the way to pick 41. He's got genuine ball winning ability and can seriously play!

Does anyone know how Bytel's back is coming along? When can we expect to see him available for selection?
IIRC he was just doing laps until the new year. Most certainly he won't be doing this preseason and will remain heavily restricted with workloads, so as a guess only, l think some VFL later in the season would be about all we can hope for.

IIRC he was just doing laps until the new year. Most certainly he won't be doing this preseason and will remain heavily restricted with workloads, so as a guess only, l think some VFL later in the season would be about all we can hope for.

Medicos will be ultra cautious with Jack. It’s an injury that is fine right now but we want to make sure we have some “insurance” so that that he doesn’t hurt it again. That means plenty of gym and and strength work inside.
Max King looking really good but again he will stay on a modified program for at least a few months yet. This is probably a blessing in disguise as he desperately needs to add strength to his frame. It will be a difficult task with Max as we want to add strength and size but we can’t add too much bulk that it affects his greatest strength at his size which is his athleticism.
A few boys were really lighting the track up pre Christmas, I’m particularly excited by the condition of Hunter Clark, he’s bigger and stronger and more confident, he just has star written all over him. Coffield also has added size and strength. Both these boys are easily best 22 come round 1.
Paddy has been on a modified program because of his foot but joined in some scratch match work pre Christmas and looked absolutely unbelievable. Much has been written about his physique but he is so much stronger now, all of our defenders had great difficulty handling him. If he can just have a good run at it I still think he can be the player we all hoped he would be.
Hanners will still be on a modified program post Christmas due to his “tight hamstring”... Not an ideal start at a new club.
Brett Ratten came over with a reputation that we all knew about but the respect he’s earned from the playing group already is really exciting to see.
Oscar Clavarino another young player that has been super impressive.
Lew Pierce impressing being the only genuine ruck to be in full training with Longer overcoming surgery.
Doulton Langlands having issues with hamstrings.
Robbie Young one of the quickest players I’ve ever seen. Matty Parker has been really impressive in match sim. He’s really hard and likes body contact, he’s definitely made a few players wary around him already. With Gresham and Billings to play much more midfield minutes this season I think there’s a real chance one of Parker or Young could play senior footy early. Parker more
Offense first, Young definitely a defense first forward.
Wilkie looking good. A wonderful reader of the ballin the air across half back.
Jack Steele will become our best midfielder at some stage this season.

Terrible article in the Hs today regarding mature age recruits. Not one mention of any of our players.
I dont have a link sorry

Medicos will be ultra cautious with Jack. It’s an injury that is fine right now but we want to make sure we have some “insurance” so that that he doesn’t hurt it again. That means plenty of gym and and strength work inside.
Max King looking really good but again he will stay on a modified program for at least a few months yet. This is probably a blessing in disguise as he desperately needs to add strength to his frame. It will be a difficult task with Max as we want to add strength and size but we can’t add too much bulk that it affects his greatest strength at his size which is his athleticism.
A few boys were really lighting the track up pre Christmas, I’m particularly excited by the condition of Hunter Clark, he’s bigger and stronger and more confident, he just has star written all over him. Coffield also has added size and strength. Both these boys are easily best 22 come round 1.
Paddy has been on a modified program because of his foot but joined in some scratch match work pre Christmas and looked absolutely unbelievable. Much has been written about his physique but he is so much stronger now, all of our defenders had great difficulty handling him. If he can just have a good run at it I still think he can be the player we all hoped he would be.
Hanners will still be on a modified program post Christmas due to his “tight hamstring”... Not an ideal start at a new club.
Brett Ratten came over with a reputation that we all knew about but the respect he’s earned from the playing group already is really exciting to see.
Lew Pierce impressing being the only genuine ruck to be in full training with Longer overcoming surgery.
Robbie Young one of the quickest players I’ve ever seen. Matty Parker has been really impressive in match sim. He’s really hard and likes body contact, he’s definitely made a few players wary around him already. With Gresham and Billings to play much more midfield minutes this season I think there’s a real chance one of Parker or Young could play senior footy early. Parker more
love it mate cheers :thumbsu:

So many tasty tidbits in here!

Really looking forward to a Clavarino debut. I hope we get a chance too see him early this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back