Training 2019 Preseason

When is the interclub match on, anyone know yet?
AFL return to training
Monday, 14 January

St Kilda will return to full training at RSEA Park after their Christmas break.

AFL open training
Wednesday, 16 January

All Saints fans are welcome to come and watch the boys in an open training session at 9:30am.

More open training dates over the pre-season TBC.

Intra-club Match / Family Day
Saturday, 23 February

The Saints’ intra-club match will commence at 11.30am at RSEA Park and run in conjunction with the club’s Family Day. Further details TBC.

JLT Game 1: North Melbourne v St Kilda
Saturday, 2 March

The Saints are set to play their first pre-season match against the Kangaroos at 1.10pm at Chirnside Park. Werribee
(JLT Game 2: Vs Western Bulldogs Sunday March 10 Mars Stadium Ballarat: )

AFL Round 1: St Kilda v Gold Coast
Sunday, 24 March

St Kilda will host the Gold Coast Suns at 1.10pm at the newly-renamed Marvel Stadium (formerly Etihad) to kick off their 2019 campaign.

VFL Round 1: Footscray v Sandringham
Friday, 5 April

The Saints-affiliated Sandringham Zebras will play in the VFL season opener against the Bulldogs at 7pm at Victoria University Whitten Oval.”

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clearly we are doomed for the season and the AFL may as well give the premiership to Richmond right now.

Rated 16th for forwards (below Carlton - gf!!) and 16th for backline - jeez what are they going to say about the mids!!!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-05/who-has-the-best-forwards-we-rank-every-club

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-29/who-has-the-best-defence-we-rank-every-club
Then pretty much contradict the rankings by saying the forwards have a lot of upside this season and the defence is relatively strong. The sad part is they get paid...

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Dude he didnt make his debut till last year?

Yet we traded for him after giving him a medical and couldn't get him on the park until round 19 in his third season.

I don't know why we're fighting about this.

We didn't trade for him to become a VFL player, we traded for him to become an AFL player and we couldn't get his body right until the end of his third season. Whether that's all down to the medical team or all down to his body and mind or somewhere in the middle, what can't be denied is that there are good reasons to have some doubts about our ability to recuperate young Jack Bytel.

FFS, it's not controversial

Clearly we are doomed for the season and the AFL may as well give the premiership to Richmond right now.

Rated 16th for forwards (below Carlton - gf!!) and 16th for backline - jeez what are they going to say about the mids!!!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-05/who-has-the-best-forwards-we-rank-every-club

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-29/who-has-the-best-defence-we-rank-every-club
The article lost me when it listed Josh Bruce for forward depth. IMHO a large part of the reason our forward line was so dysfunctional in 2018 was his absence. His high work rate, the way he blocks for his teammates and the way he hits the packs hard were sorely missed (All the stuff he does without ball in hand goes largely unnoticed). He looks superfit and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action in 2019.
Young and Parker also look like they might give the forward line a good shake up. All the added competition for spots can only help to make us a better team.

Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The article lost me when it listed Josh Bruce for forward depth. IMHO a large part of the reason our forward line was so dysfunctional in 2018 was his absence. His high work rate, the way he blocks for his teammates and the way he hits the packs hard were sorely missed (All the stuff he does without ball in hand goes largely unnoticed). He looks superfit and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action in 2019.
Young and Parker also look like they might give the forward line a good shake up. All the added competition for spots can only help to make us a better team.
Yes well pointed out .His leading patterns and gut running up the ground create space for others to fall in behind him .But this will never be an obvious stat on Champion data .

cooperrules

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2012
East Bentleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Lakers, Leeds united
He got dropped before he got injured might have something to do with it.

He got dropped before he got injured might have something to do with it.

His form was not great last year but to quote an article published on the SAINTS website on the 14.4.18
"Bruce had been carrying soreness but there had been no major concerns about him playing through that".
He then had scans and it was revealed that he had stress fractures in his back. He got over that injury and he was set for a return until he fractured his leg at training.
When Bruce is injury free and playing in form, he is in our best 22.

His form was not great last year but to quote an article published on the SAINTS website on the 14.4.18
"Bruce had been carrying soreness but there had been no major concerns about him playing through that".
He then had scans and it was revealed that he had stress fractures in his back. He got over that injury and he was set for a return until he fractured his leg at training.
When Bruce is injury free and playing in form, he is in our best 22.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Hi Saints.

How is my boy going - Dean Kent? Hope he gets fit and firing. If he can get a good run with injury I promise he is a bargain and you will love him. I’d take him back in a snap too. I hope he goes well and puts the injury stuff behind him and shows you all what he can do. He’s a really committed mongrel when fit with a great long kick and when he tackles a bloke they stay tackled. I miss him already.

Hi Saints.

How is my boy going - Dean Kent? Hope he gets fit and firing. If he can get a good run with injury I promise he is a bargain and you will love him. I’d take him back in a snap too. I hope he goes well and puts the injury stuff behind him and shows you all what he can do. He’s a really committed mongrel when fit with a great long kick and when he tackles a bloke they stay tackled. I miss him already.

Open training next Wednesday if you’re missing him that much ;)
( although we may have to frisk you for any recording equipment etc)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’ll think about it. Now you’re back in the known universe rather than Seawhatsit.

If I don’t make it tell him I said hello. He won’t know who I am or what you are talking about and he will think you are clinically insane, but that of itself would be very satisfying.

Also I mean it. If you can get him playing you will like him. He’s a gun.

Hi Saints.

Thanks but I would like to trade for Max Gawn. Name your price.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Hi Saints.

Hard to tell honestly but seems to be training pretty normally. Lets just hope he makes it to round 1 without mishap.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Hi Saints.

So do you reckon he's a HF or a winger?

I remember the recruiting staff calling him a HF but saying they thought he'd fit in nicely further up the ground. From his stats it looks like he's a pretty accurate kick for goal which we desperately need from our HF's.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I remember the recruiting staff calling him a HF but saying they thought he'd fit in nicely further up the ground. From his stats it looks like he's a pretty accurate kick for goal which we desperately need from our HF's.
HF would be my instinct. He’s a good kick for goal an

I’d play him HF. He’s a decent kick for goal, good tackler and has very good sprint speed which serve well in the forward half. He’s less suited to the mega endurance, trotting up and back the field a zillion times that you might want on a wing.

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Then pretty much contradict the rankings by saying the forwards have a lot of upside this season and the defence is relatively strong. The sad part is they get paid...

Its pretty accurate on last year's form but we know we have huge room for improvement. Bruce, Long and others in our forward line. Roberton and other younger developing players into defence, plus the additions to our midfield and coaching we will be a much much better side in 2019.

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

16th for midfield too. You'd think we were the 16th best team last year or some thing.

No77778

Senior List
Feb 15, 2013
tassie
AFL Club
St Kilda
From the saints site

There was no easing back into things for St Kilda’s young group today, with players kicking off the post-Christmas training block with a punishing 3km time trial.
Emerging wingman Ed Phillips stormed home to cross the line first, with rebounding defender Daniel McKenzie and captain Jarryn Geary filling the minor places.

Geary has rarely been beaten in his long tenure at the club, but with a delayed start to the pre-season due to a minor knee injury, it was Phillips who took the honours.
A fast-finishing Jack Newnes came home in fourth, narrowly ahead of a pack including Jack Sinclair, Seb Ross, Jack Steele, Jack Lonie, Blake Acres and Josh Battle.

While impressed by the guys at the top of the field, it was the performances further down the list that had Head of High Performance Matt Hornsby smiling.
“As a collective, that was as good as I’ve seen,” Hornsby said

“The condition the group has returned in gives us a great platform to attack training over the next six weeks.”
Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Lewis Pierce and Paddy McCartin were other standouts from this morning’s run, while one of the biggest cheers was saved for category B rookie Sam Alabakis, who shaved more than a minute off his personal best time.
St Kilda players enjoyed a three-week break over Christmas as is mandated by the AFLPA, with this morning’s session marking their first hit-out for 2019.

Back