Training 2019 Preseason

So all the ITK's with definitely retired.
Pull your heads in next time.

Also nothing about Paddy

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Delaying the inevitable.

Two years out of the game.

A heart condition that couldn't be fixed in an entire year (2018), looks extremely unlikely that Roberton ever plays again.

PR stunt from the club IMO. Don't want to close the book on his career, but gee, I can't see a way back for him.

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
None of that would surprise anyone at Moorabbin. Hence the whole we let ourselves down last year so we worked hard over pre season to make it right this year blah blah blah

Who said it would surprise them? I'm talking about reminding them.

Delaying the inevitable.

Two years out of the game.

A heart condition that couldn't be fixed in an entire year (2018), looks extremely unlikely that Roberton ever plays again.

PR stunt from the club IMO. Don't want to close the book on his career, but gee, I can't see a way back for him.

PR stunt is a really harsh way to put it.

It’s a soft exit. We all know that.
Barring any miracles, I can’t see that he will play again. But I like the way it’s been handled by the club.

He’s obviously very popular around the club and staying around will help keep morale up. By all accounts he’s a very good footy brain so it can only benefit us having him around working with players as well.

PR stunt is a really harsh way to put it.

It’s a soft exit. We all know that.
Barring any miracles, I can’t see that he will play again. But I like the way it’s been handled by the club.

He’s obviously very popular around the club and staying around will help keep morale up. By all accounts he’s a very good footy brain so it can only benefit us having him around working with players as well.
I like the way they've handled it too. Robbo knows it's over, but to give some hope to the rest of the playing group is better than ending it completely.

And another thing, people here not liking the acquisition of Sam Rowe. You guys do realise he is there for depth, right? Players picked up in the SSP aren't stars, that's the reason they are there in the first place. We need bodies, Rowe is experienced and has played plenty of football at the top level. He isn't here for a career, he will most likely stay on for this season and then be delisted. Thought all this would've been obvious!

Apr 3, 2002
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Kilda
I like the way they've handled it too. Robbo knows it's over, but to give some hope to the rest of the playing group is better than ending it completely.

And another thing, people here not liking the acquisition of Sam Rowe. You guys do realise he is there for depth, right? Players picked up in the SSP aren't stars, that's the reason they are there in the first place. We need bodies, Rowe is experienced and has played plenty of football at the top level. He isn't here for a career, he will most likely stay on for this season and then be delisted. Thought all this would've been obvious!

Its very obvious. We are just arguing that instead of accepting that reality, why not aim higher and likely fail knowing that you at least gave it a shot.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

Thinking was your first mistake....

depends how you look at the opportunity the SSP presents you with. if you look at it as JUST a temporary measure and almost like a fail safe then the rowe situation is the right call, you can debate the name, but the method is right.

if you look at it as more than that and an opportunity to unearth another mature age talent who will be at the club longer than one season, then the Rowe method doesn't hold up!

there's a third option here of listing a junior missed from the draft. although i don't think this really applies to us. basically what the GC chose to do.

the mid-season draft vs SSP is another discussion altogether

Last edited:
depends how you look at the opportunity the SSP presents you with. if you look at it as JUST a temporary measure and almost like a fail safe then the rowe situation is the right call, you can debate the name, but the method is right.

if you look at it as more than that and an opportunity to unearth another mature age talent who will be at the club longer than one season, then the Rowe method doesn't hold up!

Well “lucky us” we could get SSP players to suit BOTH situations!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

What’s the point of unearthing anyone though. I don’t believe we have rights to him. Or her. It’s about immediate replacement. It’s not like it costs us a pick. And we have already picked up 3 mature players so we have plenty of quota

This Sam Rowe news has me thinking about Luke Delaney...
Prefer to think about Delvene Delaney personally

tenor.gif

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Players come and go. I cant be bothered listing all the premierships where they lost 2-5 of there best players for the season.
Its about club culture, coaches and facilities. All 3 we have imporved on and thus our ladder position will inprove greatly. youll see. May sound horrible but no paddy and roberton wont change much. Very proud of clubs pre season efforts. best of luck to paddy and robbo in life after footy. You guys played at top level - should be proud of yourselves.
Nice username.
Do you like Gerkin by any chance?

What’s the point of unearthing anyone though. I don’t believe we have rights to him. Or her. It’s about immediate replacement. It’s not like it costs us a pick. And we have already picked up 3 mature players so we have plenty of quota

based on what was explained to me, you have retention rights on the player similar to signing a rookie for 1 year! so if you see worth in the rookie list, then you see worth in using the SSP

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
based on what was explained to me, you have retention rights on the player similar to signing a rookie for 1 year! so if you see worth in the rookie list, then you see worth in using the SSP
That may or may not be true. Be interesting to know the facts. The thing is we need a ready made player we know who can play afl. Like I said we have already taken 3 mature age players.

Back