Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been at club every day and done some work on the track. He is not in full training because of his back.
It's been nearly four months since the season ended and his back is still an issue? Not sure we're getting the full story there. Wouldn't have thought people with serious back complaints should be doing end of season trips to Indo.

It's been nearly four months since the season ended and his back is still an issue? Not sure we're getting the full story there. Wouldn't have thought people with serious back complaints should be doing end of season trips to Indo.
He is entitled to go on a holiday mate. Maybe the club are looking after him and have a plan to make sure they can get the best out of him in the short term. Busting his arse out on the track in December is not part of the plan. It is a long season, he will be ready when he needs to be.

Reckon Sweet might punch holes in a few Campaigners. Brisdog’s wish list:

1. Toby Greene
2. Gary Lyon
3. Taylor Adams

Who would you like Sweet to punch the f*%k out of?

If you resort to violence you have already lost.

Jeremy Cameron is the exception though. He is owed a few.

If you resort to violence you have already lost.

Jeremy Cameron is the exception though. He is owed a few.
It would be accidental contact of course ;).

Viney?

That bloke that stuffed us around then went to Hawthorn - what was his name?

Hoping Schache's improvements on the training track translate onto the field. Feel like he's got all the tools to be a handy player. Just needs to lift the aggression at the ball a little bit

Schache recieves probably the least amount of pressure for a #2 draft pick I've ever seen, we all have minimal expectations for him but he surpassed the critics this year. Onwards and upwards Shack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache recieves probably the least amount of pressure for a #2 draft pick I've ever seen, we all have minimal expectations for him but he surpassed the critics this year. Onwards and upwards Shack.
It's because we didn't draft him as pick 2 and paid peanuts to get him. Our fan base would have quite a different opinion of Josh if we were the ones that drafted him at pick 2. I think spending a couple of years at Brisbane helped shift some of the pressure that the Melbourne media can place on players.

It's because we didn't draft him as pick 2 and paid peanuts to get him. Our fan base would have quite a different opinion of Josh if we were the ones that drafted him at pick 2. I think spending a couple of years at Brisbane helped shift some of the pressure that the Melbourne media can place on players.

He's very lucky in that regard. Spent a couple years in Brissy not under the microscope, comes back for a couple 2nd rounders at basically the last minute after we lose Stringer. Barely any expectations from us, no hard feelings from Brissy supporters. He is thriving.

Just to clarify Macrae's comments when asked how Boyd was going, he said:

"obviously, with his mental state, that was the number one priority, I think, which, has been great to see Tommy back in training and he's at the club everyday. Going back, that was the number one priority and it'd be great for everyone that he's back in a happy state of mind and at the moment he's just easing back into training and I think he'll be back to training pretty much early next year, so just wait and see with Tom and hopefully, he can string some really good games together because we all know his talent and ability and you don't have to look too far into history to see what he's capable of"

Interestingly, he didn't mention Boyd's back problem.
I suppose you can interpret Macrae's comments in several ways: Is his mental state still a problem? What is keeping him out of full training - his mental state, his back or both? How far away is "early next year" for him to be in full training?
If I was to ask just one question it'd be pretty fundamental: when will Boyd be available for selection? But, that question is much too hard to answer.

Last edited:

"obviously, with his mental state, that was the number one priority, I think, which, has been great to see Tommy back in training and he's at the club everyday. Going back, that was the number one priority and I'd be great for everyone that he's back in a happy state of mind and at the moment he's just easing back into training and I think he'll be back to training pretty much early next year, so just wait and see with Tom and hopefully, he can string some really good games together because we all know his talent and ability and you don't have to look too far into history to see what he's capable of"

I suppose you can interpret Macrae's comments in several ways: Is his mental state still a problem? What is keeping him out of full training - his mental state, his back or both? How far away is "early next year" for him to be in full training?
If I was to ask just one question it'd be pretty fundamental: when will Boyd be available for selection? But, that question is much too hard to answer.
Based on Macrae's comments, I think it's pretty safe to assume we won't see Boyd round 1. That does mean it is looking increasingly Likely for English, Trengove and maybe even Sweet to feature in our round 1 side.

With the reports of Schache looking in amazing shape, we may have to assume that he's our only key forward in future. Could end up with a forward line closely resembling Richmonds from 2017. Not the worst thing anyway, given the presence that mid-sized guys like Gowers and Wallis can have on the field, I wouldn't be too worried if Schache is our only target for the start of the season. Really do hope to see Boyd back out there sooner rather than later though

He's very lucky in that regard. Spent a couple years in Brissy not under the microscope, comes back for a couple 2nd rounders at basically the last minute after we lose Stringer. Barely any expectations from us, no hard feelings from Brissy supporters. He is thriving.
Also the only bloke taken ahead of him isn't taking the competition by storm. Schache developing nicely with us.

"obviously, with his mental state, that was the number one priority, I think, which, has been great to see Tommy back in training and he's at the club everyday. Going back, that was the number one priority and it'd be great for everyone that he's back in a happy state of mind and at the moment he's just easing back into training and I think he'll be back to training pretty much early next year, so just wait and see with Tom and hopefully, he can string some really good games together because we all know his talent and ability and you don't have to look too far into history to see what he's capable of"

There is also probably a touch of 'it's not my position to comment on the current state of a teammate's mental health' from Macrae and maybe its not the public's business either.

Not denying its frustrating as a supporter to not have all the answers, but surely there are appropriate people in appropriate positions doing (or at least attempting to do) the right thing for both Boyd and the club. And these things need to be handled carefully, as evident by the Majak Daw incident overnight.

I'd also guess that the club trying to put an end date on his absence might be counterproductive to the situation.

Last edited:

I would suggest that he did mention Boyds back injury, he just did it in an oblique way when he mentioned that it "has been great to see Tommy back in training and he's at the club everyday." Lets not forget that he did miss the last 5 games of the season with said back injury. I don't think its an enormous leap of logic to say that he is going to be on a restricted training regime at least until the new year with that in mind. That he is back in in any form of training and in an apparent good frame of mind, something that his teammates and the club are clearly very mindful of protecting, is something to celebrate not second guess.

He will play when his form and fitness warrants it, the club can hardly say otherwise. However, the fact of the matter is and should be that playing will always be a matter of secondary importance to all (bar the supporter base) involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back