Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Really annoyed by honourable losses but proud of the team’s performance last night. We just were not polished enough or clinical enough to win. The scoreboard flattered Richmond by the end. Hoping we can build on this game unlike last year. Port next week and Sydney the week after are huge opportunities.

Positives:
-Cuningham had a great game. Looks to have gained so much confidence and should have a breakout year.
-Newman was brilliant. At times he looked like a Simpson clone.
-Cripps should win the brownlow this year if we win enough games. Will go to a new level this year I think which is scary good.
-Weitering, Walsh, Fisher, Jones, Daisy, McKay, Simpson all played quite well

Negatives:
-Reamed by the umpires in the first half especially
-Charlie had a shocker. Terrible game but should bounce back.
-Ed had a poor game by his standards. I really don’t understand why he is being used as a small forward.
-Phillips was ok but let Nankervis kick 3 crumbing goals. We missed Kreuzer’s impact around the ground.
-Need to play smarter against Richmond’s forwards who flick the ball on to each other
-Missed gettable chances at important times when we were only a few goals down which could have swung the game
-Murphy whilst not that bad has really lost his confidence and composure. Hope he can turn that around playing with a new midfield.

Hopefully the boys can take plenty of confidence from that fight back. If we can maintain our 2nd and 3rd quarter efforts for longer, we should beat most teams. Go blues!

Last edited:
Agree. Crowd picked it up as well. Can’t remember such a lack of effort
CC did run over 15kms. Just out of touch.

Tigers were impressive early and late.

Good signs but plenty to work on.

Can't let the ball get over the back like we did, especially when in a pack in back line. Those Nankervis goals were shocking defending.

Can't just cough up the ball like we did: dropped marks, OOF and kicks straight to loose defenders. Better to move the ball backwards than hacking it blindly forward to extra numbers.

Yes your right some days you do get it your way others not , corresponding game last year we got the rub of the green early in the game imo .
But to dismiss their efforts as rub of the green in particular first quarter is to give them an out and we won't see an improvement in their standards .
We have 3 umpires on field I think there needs to be more over ruling from non officiating umpires to get the correct decisions on the night and in the moment .
Example 1st quarter Jack Riewoldt crashing the front of the pack allowing Lynch to mark having no realistic chance to mark the ball himself because his timing on this occasion was out and taking Jones out of the contest at the same time .
How firstly this wasn't paid a free to jones was confusing but what is even more confusing is why 1 of the other 2 umpires did not over rule the decision .
Our umpiring is not at an acceptable level for a so called professional competition imo .
Having said that the rule makers do make it extremely hard on umpires with constant changes to rules and interpretations .

Disagree, Reiwoldt marks it if Lynch doesn't. Cant help it if a teammate gets in front of him

I was fuming at quarter time. That first quarter was as bad as anything we served up last year, it was practically the fourth quarter of the Crows game.

2nd and 3rd was actually enjoyable, we were on top of them for a decent period and got within 2 goals, it was great to see.

Fourth was just disappointing, they are clearly a better team than us but we could have really given them a shake when their leader down back went down and out, but we fired blanks and got ran over the top of.

Overall I’d give us about a 5.5/10.

Effort was there for 2 1/2 quarters, but some dark days are still to come

It's that sort of composure and willingness to make plays that will drive us forward. Zac needs to re-evaluate how he manages the ball in the clinches.
Seems like the coaches have told our players to back themselves. Eg. Not banging it in the boot, take on the tackler to give yourself more time. As we saw last night, our players were caught more often than before. Most of the kids don't have the strength or body size to easily shutdown tackles. I don't mind the belief, but they also need to know they're a not in the same mould as Cripps. Pick and choose your battles.

An under rated idea. The runner ban is a disaster for developing teams.

Saw the exact same thing in the JLT v Collingwood. They killed us with the switch in the first quarter, and the coaching team was not able to make the necessary adjustment until 1/4 time, after which the hole in the dyke was plugged.

Richmond belted us in the first, also with a structure our guys couldn't work out on their own. Again, the adjustment at 1/4 time sorted it out.

Good sides who have an extended period in the system together have more of a chance to work it out on field.

Another reason why doc being out will hurt us

Cripps is at the coal face bullocking away, Doc is a kick behind play and would be in s better position is make in quarter adjustments.

Before the game I would have accepted a loss by less than 6 goals against the best team of the last couple of years. Hopefully we learn from that and keep improving.

Thought the conditions made disposal and handling the ball more difficult tonight then what people may realise, at the ground it had that slight dewy look about it. Although the first and last quarters were really disappointing there were some very promising signs by our youngsters tonight SETTERFIELD WEITERING CUNINGHAM McKAY were the standouts FISHER DOW PETREVSKI-SETON were good WALSH classy first game CHARLIE didn't have any influence on the game GARLETT quiet, good in last qtr CRIPPS superb again.
The older players SIMPSON MURPHY THOMAS JONES were all good ED had a crack, fwd role not his position NEWMAN was great of halfback McGOVERN was ok FASOLO really quiet, both not fit enough yet GIBBONS quiet first game PLOWMAN was pretty solid and PHILLIPS had a crack, not bad
Loved the last passage of play we ran out of the backline linking up through the middle to McKay who finished off with a goal, need more of that in our game Plenty too like A lot too work on...

I’m still wired from last night’s game.

I haven’t felt this excited about the future in a long time. My eyes saw what happened last night and my brain processed it. However my excitement isn’t a response based on intelligence. It’s an emotional one. It’s that gut feeling you get. It’s telling me that success is within touching distance.

Go Blues.
We saw glimpses, Sis said to me wait til it clicks...when we got with 13 th Carlton faithful where going troppo

I was fuming at quarter time. That first quarter was as bad as anything we served up last year, it was practically the fourth quarter of the Crows game.

2nd and 3rd was actually enjoyable, we were on top of them for a decent period and got within 2 goals, it was great to see.

Fourth was just disappointing, they are clearly a better team than us but we could have really given them a shake when their leader down back went down and out, but we fired blanks and got ran over the top of.

Overall I’d give us about a 5.5/10.

Effort was there for 2 1/2 quarters, but some dark days are still to come
Once Rance went down it could have been an advantage.
Richmond being the quality team they are obviously adjusted and didn't give us an opportunity to take advantage of the lack of Rance. was a good team effort on their part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once Rance went down it could have been an advantage.
Richmond being the quality team they are obviously adjusted and didn't give us an opportunity to take advantage of the lack of Rance. was a good team effort on their part.
True. Astbury and Grimes don’t get anywhere near enough recognition, they are better one on one defenders than Rance, just don’t have the profile he does. Rance is a great player though

Disagree, Reiwoldt marks it if Lynch doesn't. Cant help it if a teammate gets in front of him
Think you better watch again Riewoldt floated across the front clearing a path by taking jones out of the contest in front allowing Lynch to mark behind .
NO way Riewoldt marks it .
Unrealistic marking attempt thus free to Jones .

CC did run over 15kms. Just out of touch.

Tigers were impressive early and late.

Good signs but plenty to work on.

Can't let the ball get over the back like we did, especially when in a pack in back line. Those Nankervis goals were shocking defending.

Can't just cough up the ball like we did: dropped marks, OOF and kicks straight to loose defenders. Better to move the ball backwards than hacking it blindly forward to extra numbers.

Don’t care. Didn’t try. IMO it was obvious. I will always defend our players but those efforts I will never excuse

Never thought I would see it, but last night was the first time I’ve ever seen Charlie get the Bronx cheers when he finally held a simple mark.

He just didn’t look interested last night, and that’s following his performance in the last JLT game where he didn’t look interested either.

He obviously has plenty of credits in the bank so this game can be forgotten if he lifts his efforts next week, but 2 weeks in a row having this same attitude is getting me a little scared if it isn’t sorted

Not sure about Ed up forward.

A few times when he's taken the mark we had open men as an option but instead he was slow to get back and turn around which let Richmond man up.

If he's going to play that role he needs to react quicker and not slow the forward momentum down

Lost this in the coaches box IMO. Q1 - Far too much room in the oppositions forward 50. No runners excuse is BS, Simpson has more than enough experience to sort that out as has the rest of the leadeship group. Out numbered in the forward 50 is NOT ON.

Seems to be a re-occuring nightmare by allowing teams easy goals but we seem to have to fight tooth and nail for every score. Long bombs into the 50 to multiple opposition is not working, It would be OK if we could lock it in but usually ends up being a counter attack and a shot at a 12 point turnaround... Small forwards not applying the intense pressure to allow long bombs nor are they in the right position for a crumb. Cripps having to bust a gut. Same s**t as last year (IMO). Not happy.

I come in peace.
Said at the start of the season Carlton will win 6 to 8 games this season before launching a massive challenge in 2020.
I reckon 8 wins is a formality from what I saw last night, bar the first quarter.
Plenty of upside with a heap of talent coming through.

Think you better watch again Riewoldt floated across the front clearing a path by taking jones out of the contest in front allowing Lynch to mark behind .
NO way Riewoldt marks it .
That first goal was a free kick to us every single time. An absolute slap in the face decision if I ever saw one. There was a few of those. You could almost hear the umpire go Lyyyynch. Reiwoldt made an 'unrealistic' (and deliberately so) jump and Jones got pushed out. Oh yes you can't criticise umpiring..it has no effect...etc etc. Actually yes it does. But thats footy and we have to work our way to the top of the ladder against those odds and eventually become the ones getting the 'lucky' breaks.

My thoughts:

1. Where has the holding the man free kick gone?
We were constantly held without the ball. A player trying to get off the ground and pulled back down on the ground is just ridiculous. Players being tackled without the ball and it being let go. However, if thats the case why did we not do the same?

2. Improved tackling.
More tackles that stuck. At long last!!

3. Defence looked great.
Jones and Weits fantastic! Newman seamlessly fitted in. Plow very solid without being a stand out. Simmo was Simmo, Thomas had a great game. Garlett will get better but needs to be faster with his decisions and moving the ball on by disposal or running. Lynch was rewarded by poor umpiring, First goal should have been a free to Jonesy, The free where he kicked his 3rd was soft in the context of the Game.

4. Forward Line
H and Gov both worked very hard to get into the game and seemed to get better as the game wore on. Don't wanna bash Charlie too much but seriously WTH. Fas looked rusty but will be great, Gibbons got into good positions but not his night. Cuningham didn't get reward for effort. Please Ed back to the middle

5. Exciting you mid group.
Cripps is a beast!! Without him that would have been a 100+ point loss. Fish very good (Cop that Martin!) and Setters better than expected coming back from injury. Dow looks a little way off at the moment due to lack of preseason, still lots to like. Walsh, wow... great first game, took a while to adjust to game speed, panicked a little and rushed after getting caught at the start but shrugged it off for the best first game i have seen in ages.

6. Richmonds running.
Streets ahead of ours. Consistently they had 3-4 options with the ball carrier or doubled teamed our ball handler. On the double teaming this needs to be exploited.

7. The Fight back.
Was almost ready to turn it off after quarter time, thank God I didn't. SHOCKING first quarter. A few decisions didn't go our way, it happens but it killed us. A few guys dropped their heads, it hurt not being able to get a runner out there. But after that they worked their backsides off. The effort was huge. It seemed like we worked twice as hard as the Tigs in the second and third, we just need to learn to punish the opposition when we are working that Hard. When we made mistakes it was too easy for the Tigs due to the sheer number of options that had (been playing together a lot longer). In the last suffered from the effort spent to get back into the game.

8. Move the Ball quicker.
Picked on Garlett for it earlier but there were multiple offenders. Ed, Garlett, Simmo, etc. Killed the momentum.

Lots to like.... Lots to work on.

5 Likes
1. JW and Jones
2. Cripps
3. Tackling (shout out to Fish)
4. Effort and Pressure
5. The future is evident

5 Dislikes
1. No holding the man (it really bugged me)
2. First Quarter
3. Rance (both his whole game and then the injury)
4. Not moving the ball quick enough (allow tigs to set up defence, they didn't give us the same luxury and punished us)
5. Basically no voice this morning and poor nights sleep due to the adreniline coursing through my veins. Far out I love the Blues. (Pretty sure any supporter of another team would refer to me as a feral:oops:)

SUMMARY
TL;DR

GO BLUES!

Back