Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That first goal was a free kick to us every single time. An absolute slap in the face decision if I ever saw one. There was a few of those. You could almost hear the umpire go Lyyyynch. Reiwoldt made an 'unrealistic' (and deliberately so) jump and Jones got pushed out. Oh yes you can't criticise umpiring..it has no effect...etc etc. Actually yes it does. But thats footy and we have to work our way to the top of the ladder against those odds and eventually become the ones getting the 'lucky' breaks.
Yes thats the way i saw it also . But i will say we were being led to the ball by a hungry Richmond far too much in the first and when thats the case in any game sometimes the frees against just seem to flow .

Richmond, Collingwood, etc kick to actual leads - or - to the top of the square - 10-20 meters out.

Carlton kick deep into the pockets - something they learned off Malthouse and its never gone away - it absolutely kill me. EVERY TIME.

The couple of times the blues did kick to leads dead in front a team mate dropped back with the flight to spoil it (Fasolo in front of McKay and someone else did it to Cuningham)

Just on Charlie I get really frustrated with people claiming AFL players don't try.

Charlie ran 15km (pretty much the most of any player) in the game, was opposed to a player who has been AA for the last 5 years and had his marking been better in difficult conditions (remember Rance dropped two chest marks) he could have ended the night with 2 goals, 18 possessions and 6 marks.

It should be remembered that accusing a player of not trying, or partying to hard, is accusing people like Bolton and Russell of accepting that standard. Now I don't know those two personally but they certainly don't strike me as people who would accept that no matter how talented the culprit is.

1. The 50 against Thomas was soft, had already left the ground to spoil so couldn't do anything else.
2. McGovern didn't deserve a 50
3. Cripps maybe unlucky but Cotchin got pinged for the same later on, dont remember the Rance one
4. Broad got the handball away, Cunningham got a kick away in the game and got pinged for holding the ball.

No point complaining about the umpires, some days you get the rub of the green others you don't. Didn't think they were too bad to be honest. Not the reason we lost.

Higgins played on

A hundred games of 12 -14 guys playing together is what does it. Its not leg speed at all.
Think its a bit of both imo we definately lack leg speed on some forward matchups .
For example you could almost say our talls collectively Mckay in particular Charlie and Gov are as quick if not quicker than a combination of Fasolo Gibbons and Ed Curnow as our smalls .
Down back small forwards have worried us for what seems like eons .
But definately agree in part .

Don’t care. Didn’t try. IMO it was obvious. I will always defend our players but those efforts I will never excuse
What do you see is his issue Soap? I was very unimpressed he looked 2nd rate! Is it a confidence issue or does he feel like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was clear as the game progressed that Mitch was actually a McGovern.

On a night where everyone was fumbling, he was picking up half-volleys with ease and taking clean overhead marks. Love the way he makes quick decisions with the ball, great football IQ.

Definitely a McGovern.
He is going to be a fantastic player for us over the next 5-6 years. Just an old style footballer, doesn't matter how many biceps curls he does, he is always going to have the bingo wings.

Both the McGovern boys a treat to watch.

How many simple chest marks did we fumble/drop? More than anything else, simple skill errors like this killed us.

Tigers were very good though. Their defence's organisation is first rate - even after Rance went down they knew what they were doing.

This is where we really miss Docherty. He is our general. I hope we find a capable replacement this year.

Not sure about Ed up forward.

A few times when he's taken the mark we had open men as an option but instead he was slow to get back and turn around which let Richmond man up.

If he's going to play that role he needs to react quicker and not slow the forward momentum down
the reason why ed is forward is he simply isn't good enough to make our midfield rotation anymore. obviously cripps but also fisher, dow, walsh, sps, cuningham, setterfield and murph are all faster, more mobile, better disposal and quicker thinkers than ed.

our midfield is young but it was on par with richmond's last night for the most part.

Think you better watch again Riewoldt floated across the front clearing a path by taking jones out of the contest in front allowing Lynch to mark behind .
NO way Riewoldt marks it .
Unrealistic marking attempt thus free to Jones .

Yeah apparently this was the rhetoric on TV, at the game it was clear that Reiwoldt was clearing the path, he's a smart player.

There's no way he would have marked it if lynch didn't, it was already past him

Yeah apparently this was the rhetoric on TV, at the game it was clear that Reiwoldt was clearing the path, he's a smart player.

There's no way he would have marked it if lynch didn't, it was already past him

Definitely the case. As punchable a head he has, he is the brain of that forward line and made the umps look stupid with his effort there.

How many simple chest marks did we fumble/drop? More than anything else, simple skill errors like this killed us.

Tigers were very good though. Their defence's organisation is first rate - even after Rance went down they knew what they were doing.

This is where we really miss Docherty. He is our general. I hope we find a capable replacement this year.

Newman is the direct replacement right now, and he played a verrrrry nice game last night.

Just wish Doc was there with him

the reason why ed is forward is he simply isn't good enough to make our midfield rotation anymore. obviously cripps but also fisher, dow, walsh, sps, cuningham, setterfield and murph are all faster, more mobile, better disposal and quicker thinkers than ed.

our midfield is young but it was on par with richmond's last night for the most part.

If Ed isn't good enough to make our midfield, get him out of the team. He has no redeemable qualities as a forward.

He is one paced, lacks agility, depth in his kicking, can't mark. He's just no good there and was never going to be. Very strange decision from the club.

Get JSOS or Kennedy in the guts and move Cuningham forward.

Or give Ed a tagging role

Our forward line was our weak link last night with the small forwards a glaring weakness.

Back