Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it was an average summary tbh - we were nowhere near it in the first and last, it wasn't just '8 minutes' as he claimed. Making comments like he is falling in love with the players after a loss, while several other teams are getting on with it and actually winning and causing upsets is pretty embarrassing. I'm all for us improving our culture but he is our senior coach first and needs to be just focused on game day.
Geese this is so spot on.

I fear that he isn't holding our players accountable when he needs to. Too much concern about feelings, perhaps

Was pretty disappointed when we didn't appoint a premiership qualified senior assistant coach around him last year.

That said, there is no coach in the AFL better at staying on message. His media stuff always sounds so rehearsed and repetitive, but I reckon thats a good thing when needing to be clear with consistent instruction to a group of 44

Everyone can’t be at their best every week, but they can work their arses off in doing the 1%’s over and over again to the betterment of the team.

He was awful against Collingwood and again last night, needs to lift because we need him badly.

Just wish we’d give him a run in the middle when things not going so well, he’s the sort of player that can turn it around after one moment of brilliance. Let’s not starve him of opportunities to find that moment and get him fully involved when down.

Agreed.

I suppose the alternative is to do what they did and see if he could work through it. Having said that I advocated for your thinking (ie push him up the ground) However, in hindsight Your first two lines nail it for me, build character by challenging him to work through the situation and become a better footballer.

He didn’t do that on THursday but maybe he’ll be up for it next week.

Wow, you didn't really think there did you? "As predicted" referred to MY prediction of them winning convincingly and nobody elses.

And there was some lack of footy skills.

There is no need for that attitude. It's all but telling me you are unfit to dish out feedback. Especially when you judge halfway through and blindly use my prediction against me.

NB Firstly I dont think the win was convincing at all, and I dont think I am on my own. Arguably the best team of 17/18 playing the wooden spooners. We won many of the stats and they were gifted goals and momentum . they were a mature team and we are still assembling our best 22.
Secondly -Good to see you back peddling from " still displaying their severe lack of footy skills to a much more moderate and considered " there was some lack of footy skills"

Cant believe im actually going to support Jones for once, Poor bloke got knee'd & kicked in the head from Jack probably a dozen times during the game, I would have given him one as well
Admit it TG, you're a Carlton supporter at heart.

Thought it was an average summary tbh - we were nowhere near it in the first and last, it wasn't just '8 minutes' as he claimed. Making comments like he is falling in love with the players after a loss, while several other teams are getting on with it and actually winning and causing upsets is pretty embarrassing. I'm all for us improving our culture but he is our senior coach first and needs to be just focused on game day.
Can you post the link to whatever it is you watched. Because its clearly not the press conference I saw.
Look I know its no fun losing a game but there is nothing in what you say. Bolton was spot on. Watch it again. He was right on all points. And he was visibly annoyed that we didnt snatch the win. I really wonder what you expect a coach to do. Should he publically flog them for being young and raw. Should he throw in the towel and say, well thats it, too hard. Or be resilient like he rightly said the players were?
Why shouldnt he express his thoughts about a group thats about to explode into footy consciousness? I am falling in love with our players too.
Your embarrased that other teams have half rebuilds and win a few games but not enough to win anything major while we take the hard road to build a genuine contender in the next two years. I am embarassed that we still have supporters that can't see how good this list rebuild has been or the patience to enjoy seeing the fruits of it develop.

People who think things aren't going well will find negatives and people who think that things are going well will find positives - rinse and repeat each week.

My takeouts having watched game again;
1st qt, not entirely unexpected, Tigers would have wanted to erase demons from last years finals
2nd qt, good
3rd qt, very good
4th qt, disappointing, thought we would’ve run the game out better.

Players - positives
Weiters/Jones/Newman were all great
Cripps
Setterfield
Harry
Cunners

Negatives
Charlie was woeful
Phillip’s allow Nank to kick 3 hurt us big time
Fisher, great tackling and endeavour but needs to get more penetration with his kicking
Fas, not match fit but will improve
Gibbons just couldn’t get to the right spots, needs to be given a run through the middle to get some touches
Dow, showed some really good signs, but still fumbles and needs to improve his disposal
SPS looked great at times, kicking improved, just needs to be involved for longer.
Garlett, was he playing?
Mr Plow, pull your finger out, do something

Of the others, Murph was pretty good, The Gov has some serious spunk/mongrel and just needs more time.
Simmo, just does what he does, ditto Daisy

My biggest concern is the game plan, particularly our fwd 50 entries. If we can become more efficient with these we’ll be a much better side. I believe we have a good list now, just time required to jell

Dow is 19 and at the coalface. Wins ball repeatedly. Rest of young midfield not yet able to run past and support at all times and all being scragged because at this age and stage most of them still can be. That will change soon but right now makes it hard to deliver to anyone. At that age Diesel was in the twos and deemed too slow. Traded away as superfluous to our needs.

Last edited:
On current information Carlton is worse then Richmond at approximately the same scale that Adelaide is worse than Hawthorn, and somewhat better against Richmond then West Coast is against Brisbane.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

People who think things aren't going well will find negatives and people who think that things are going well will find positives - rinse and repeat each week.
The vast majority, which the bigfooty community is not, will see both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you post the link to whatever it is you watched. Because its clearly not the press conference I saw.
Look I know its no fun losing a game but there is nothing in what you say. Bolton was spot on. Watch it again. He was right on all points. And he was visibly annoyed that we didnt snatch the win. I really wonder what you expect a coach to do. Should he publically flog them for being young and raw. Should he throw in the towel and say, well thats it, too hard. Or be resilient like he rightly said the players were?
Why shouldnt he express his thoughts about a group thats about to explode into footy consciousness? I am falling in love with our players too.
Your embarrased that other teams have half rebuilds and win a few games but not enough to win anything major while we take the hard road to build a genuine contender in the next two years. I am embarassed that we still have supporters that can't see how good this list rebuild has been or the patience to enjoy seeing the fruits of it develop.
Its pretty simple really when ODN posts the player ages and games played each week people should have a good look .
Then summarise that with 13 players not having played 50 games in the side that we arent going to win too many games against a side like Richmond atm .
We are fitter this year that can be seen but imo we are still short of sustaining 4 quarter efforts that enable wins to flow .

Its pretty simple really when ODN posts the player ages and games played each week people should have a good look .
Then summarise that with 13 players not having played 50 games in the side that we arent going to win too many games against a side like Richmond atm .
We are fitter this year that can be seen but imo we are still short of sustaining 4 quarter efforts that enable wins to flow .
Not that far off. When it clicks hang on tight.

Very surprised to see he ran that much.

On TV you only really see the contests, and when Charlie was directly in a contest he was very poor and looked lazy...didn't fight for good marking positions and will himself to impact the contest, Richmond rebounded easily pretty much everytime we kicked it to Charlie.

That is definitely the impression you get from watching the tv. Evidently, he’d worked extremely hard to provide an option and get to those contests, spending all his tickets in the process, leaving nothing to actually contest the footy with the desired ferocity. We need him to expend his energy more wisely next week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

i'll go surfing when I want to in a few minutes ...but in the meantime I just want to clear up what 'ragdolling' means - before I start my Jihad on another favorite stoopid phrase thrown around - "fly the Flag'' - boy scout nonsense.
I'll let you know when you'll be going surfing in future........

You guys did ok, I didn’t think you were I’m the game tbo, if you played better we wouldve lifted and accepted the challenge. Carlton supporters should be confident that you have a lot of plus points to take from the game.
Other teams are going to be in for a rude shock when you guys get going, and it’s going to be soon, very soon.

How dare you an opposition supporter post something so positive, as Carlton supporters we object to objectivity. We are screwed list is crap and coach is selling swill.

Go back to your own board!

Just some things I took away from the night:

Highlights:
  • Footy is back baby!!!
  • Not often you can go the footy in Melbourne at night wearing just a t-shirt & shorts and not worry about getting cold.
  • The roar from 85,000 footy-starved fans at the first bounce was sensational. One had to be there to appreciate it.
  • Got to have a brief chat with Gil McLachlan......he worries too much.
  • Got to meet Bri Davey and the Hosking twins. 3 of the nicest people you'll ever meet and they were really excited about playing finals.
The Good:
  • Happy to see the majority of the centre square work now being done by our younger midfielders now. Dow, Setterfield, Cuningham, SPS, Fisher and Walsh were, for most part, competitive around the contest even if they lacked composure on occasions.
  • Setterfield provides a genuine physical presence around the stoppages and the opposition mids found it a lot harder to get an easy possession whenever he was out there. Uses the ball exceptionally well by foot whenever he finds space and his decision-making was generally sound. Will become an indispensable asset once he gets some continuity with his footy. The coaching and fitness start had a rehab plan to have him ready by Round 1 and stuck diligently to it. Well done to all involved.
  • Arguably the best game I've seen Daisy Thomas play for the club and probably the most freely I've seen him run since we picked him up.
  • Newman was tremendous on debut and earned his spot with really solid preseason form. Not the quickest, but has that knack of creating space to buy time so he isn't rushed with his disposal. Not afraid to sneak up the ground where that left peg of his becomes a weapon.
  • Best game I've seen Weitering play as a genuine KPD against a quality KPF who's repeatedly carved us up in the past. Successfully integrated things into his game he's been working on at training with Amos and Watson, such as following up after his initial disposal to receive the ball again. Well done to all and demonstrates how good training habits become good game day habits.
  • Liked Walsh's first game. Got collared a few times early and looked rushed at times which lead him to simply hacking the ball forwards. Showed maturity to make the necessary adjustments to his game on the fly to become a solid contributor on the night.
  • We still have a long way to go with regards to applying defensive pressure through the middle of the ground, but it has improved which made life somewhat easier for Jones and Weitering to keep Riewoldt and Lynch mostly under control.
  • Despite having a shaky preseason, I thought Murphy was a solid contributor on the night.
  • Loved watching McKay split some packs when he hit them hard......took him far too long to get going though. Quite liked his marking around the ground when rucking.
The Bad:
  • Cuningham looked good when he got the ball, but still goes missing for long periods of the game where he neither contributes offensively or defensively.
  • SPS played far too wide when not performing on-ball duties. Finding space and all is really good, but you need to be within the same galaxy for your team mates to find you. Calling for ball when you're 70-80m away ain't realistic, even Weitering and Newman can't kick it that far and they duly ignored him.
  • I know Ed can find a heap of the ball, but sheesh can he burn it. Has no idea when it comes to playing in the front half as a permanent forward.
  • Team has payed a decent price for Fasolo's preseason indiscretion. Minimal competitive work due to that broken arm was demonstrated with his lack of touch and not knowing how to work in a cohesive manner with his fellow forwards. Got in the way of both McKay's and McGovern's leads at times. He will be better for the run though.
  • Took far too long (10 min into the 2nd qtr) to swap Fasolo and Ed around to curb Prestia's influence. Prestia would start on Fasolo when the ball was bounced in the middle and then run like * out of the defensive 50 to become an extra number in the midfield. Smart coaching by Hardwick knowing that Fasolo wouldn't have the tank to go with him. Making the change brought Ed into the game, but it took far too long for Teague, Barker & Bolton to identify the issue and implement a solution.
  • I have no idea as to why McKay started on the bench. Was it pre-planned or did he need a toilet break??? Very strange.
  • Love Dow's intent and attack on the ball at the contest for a 2nd year player, but his ball-handling and disposal skills are shite. They were valid criticisms of him as a junior and I suspect they'll always be somewhat of an issue for him during the entirety of his career. Would love to see the club get someone in like Greg Williams to work with him for a month and see if that helps. Tom & Sam Mitchell have done a power of work with James Worpel and he looks a far more complete mid for effort invested in him.
  • Thought we really missed Kennedy's unerring handballs and calmness in the heat of battle.
  • Would like to see the club acquire the best available ruckman in this years draft with its first pick. Sign says "must be able to mark around the ground".
The Ugly:
  • I don't know what has gone on since last season with our tall forwards, but they've been absolutely putrid all the way through the preseason games and brought that form with them into the opening match.
  • Charlie Curnow looks miles off it. Didn't attack the ball in the air or off the deck, but spent plenty of time looking for the cheapie over the top out the back. That's Pickett-like crap. Needs to eradicate that "hook" kick out of his game while he's at it. Won't do him any harm to have a spell in the magoos to regain some touch and form. Even the best need to be spelled occasionally......just ask Weitering.
  • I know we like to carry on about the athleticism of McKay, Charlie & McGovern, but their defensive pressure is abysmal at best. If Phillips can lay 8 tackles then surely this lot can get off their collective arses and stick a dozen between them FFS. Every time the ball went inside 50 for the first 45 minutes it came straight back out with interest and without pressure placed upon the ball carrier. Gibbons can't do it all on his own. Get up 'em Teague.
  • WTF is going on with our starts at the beginning of matches and immediately after the main break. It was shocking during our preseason matches. Why wasn't it addressed??? Not going to win many games giving up 4,5 & 7 goal starts to the opposition which is exactly what we've done with the Hawks, Pies and Tigers. Season opener against a traditional rival in front of 85,000 fans.....not sure what more motivation you need to perform from the word go.
  • Please tell me the experiment with Garlett in the back half is over, please. Doesn't have that defender's instinct to know where his opponent is at all times and therefore lets his opponent find 20-50m clear space laterally or out the back. Doesn't find enough of the ball to play a Simpson-type role and isn't strong enough to apply strong defensive pressure or spoils where required.
The Wash-Up:
  • If we'd been able to break even or within a goal or so of the Tuggas at quarter time rather than giving them a 7 goal head start then this game could've had quite a different narrative. You're always going to have to expend far too much energy getting back into a contest like this to win it. Do this against the Power at Adelaide Oval and we'll be staring down the barrel of a 100 point hiding. They are absolutely ruthless at the start of the season.
  • We get more than enough of the ball to win games, but we're not efficient enough with our disposal and tend to overuse it. I think Daniel Harford said it best of our AFLW team that "they needed to learn how to win". A couple of wins in succession will change that.....and that will happen.
  • I'd love to make 2 or 3 changes, but I'm not sure we have enough players who are fit and in form. We still don't have enough developed depth on our list to cover for losses in form or fitness, hence why Garlett is playing in the back half. Possible inclusions could be TDK for Charlie, O'Brien for Garlett and Kennedy for Fasolo.
  • I really liked the competitiveness of the midfield against a group of seasoned pros. Bring that week-in-week-out for the entire season from the start of the match and we'll be in most games right up to our eyeballs.

I know it's only RD 1 but it does flatten me to see Brisbane playing such a good brand of footy and now winning games (good style all last year too). Whilst we just did the usual thing of long down the line and playing in patches.

I really hope against an opposition not as strong as Richmond that we play some exciting footy.

I know it's only RD 1 but it does flatten me to see Brisbane playing such a good brand of footy and now winning games (good style all last year too). Whilst we just did the usual thing of long down the line and playing in patches.

I really hope against an opposition not as strong as Richmond that we play some exciting footy.
They had few injuries last year. So had could consolidate and play together.

Then they added Neale and got Cameron and Andrews back.

Give us a year of playing together without major injuries and we'll be just as good, if not better.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back