Review 2019 Review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Started with a bang..player driven?
Ended with a whimper...coach driven?

Maybe the reverse?.....I think this group is pretty close ( and that includes the coaches)...a few tweaks and maybe we can contend again.

A day after a Prelim loss produces grim outlooks...just pop over to the Pie Board...it is remarkably like ours yesterday...outing players....(even Grundy) and the coach...and the club...its par for the course.

Utterly winnable premiership in a weak year; thrown away in exactly the way you'd expect.

I heard Colin Carter on 3AW asked repeatedly about our trend of playing players out of position in finals. His response was that the board only cares about whether the match committee agree with each other. He called the supporters who have concerns a "small rump". I quote: "some of them even put their name to the letters they send."

I've never sent a letter, and I'm not really an active poster anymore. I was yelling my lungs out in the second quarter on Friday, though, and standing in applause at every effort as I realised the younger players in the team were growing up and the whole side was committed. I was also asking my father, "Why is Danger still at full-forward?" in the third quarter. We had joked during the week that we would play Blitz on the wing and bring in Henderson to play forward ... and then we actually fricking did it ... and then we didn't change things ...

We should be playing - and beating - the Giants next week.

i was all for it in this game and got laughed at

Go Catters
He really should have debuted during the year. Was kicking plenty of goals in the vfl, and should have debuted the week he got concussed in the vfl. Sliding doors. We waited too long.

Sending him out to debut in a prelim is pretty brutal though. If he had a shocker it could have destroyed him mentally. Too much risk.

I think he would have gone ok though. He attacks the footy and has good speed and agility for his size.

What a mixed bag of emotions really.

I, like most it seems, didn’t hold out much hope of us being a contender in 2019. It just didn’t seem like we had enough improvement in the list. I clearly underestimated us but I wasn’t alone there. Many had us missing the eight.

The difference between this year and last was really the output we got from the the 80-100 games from Constable, Miers, Dahlhaus, Rohan, Clark, Atkins and Ratugolea in 2019. It far exceeded the games replaced from Murdoch, Thurlow, Horlin-Smith, Black, Menzel, Crameri, Parsons, McCarthy, Gregson, Jones and Buzza in 2018. The mere fact that it was a more consistent group of players went a long way to helping play a more consistent brand of footy.

The coaching group also had clearly done more work on the playing style and tactics. We controlled the play more and didn’t rely so much on winning the midfield. The defensive unit was excellent both in output and statistically. We also were a notably better pressure team, helped by the likes of Dahlhaus, Atkins and Rohan in the forward line in place of former defensive liabilities like Menzel and McCarthy. We scored freely in the first half of the season and were impressively efficient (perhaps to the point of masking that we weren’t really generating enough chances and we would ultimately regress to the mean).

Notably, we won most of our MCG games. Something was clearly different. That was an important box to tick.

And it was an enjoyable team to watch in the first half of the year. It was tough, consistent and frugal, whilst being relatively high scoring (by modern standards at least). It looked to be a team working well as a machine with all components working well and complementing each other. They appeared to enjoy playing footy.

By half way through the year there were no other teams really “coming”. It was definitely up for grabs and we were in a strong position with a fit list and a dominant win-loss record and percentage. It could not have been poised better for us.

So what happened? Did they overthink it and make too many changes to what worked? Did the competition get better? I’m not sure. Possibly both.

What was clear was that in the second half of the year we were a shadow of the team we were in the first half. We didn’t win two games in a row after June. Let that sink in. A team, supposed to be a credible flag threat (which requires winning at least two or three games in a row in September against the best opposition) lost to lowly teams every second week for three months heading into the finals. It was nothing like the preparation needed for a good crack at the flag.

Then, the most disappointing part of the season IMO. After all of the talk of being ready for finals and all that came before it being about preparing for this moment, we absolutely bottled it in the first 12 minutes of our finals campaign. Dropped marks, two defenders crashing into each other and missed shots at goal from inside 20m. Season over. From that point onwards I knew we were cooked. From that point onwards we had to find a way to beat the two best H&A teams over the next two weeks to earn the right to play the team that had just demolished us in the first 12 minutes (or, as it turned out, ANOTHER team that was better than them!). Those 12 minutes put us on the wrong side of the finals draw and even our best would not be good enough from then on.

Despite all of that, if you look at the three finals in totality, they were a vast improvement on what we saw in 2016-2018. We dominated big periods of each match, our best players stepped up well for most parts and some well worn scapegoats even played some good footy. Perhaps best of all, some youngsters with very little finals experience showed great signs for the future in finals conditions. To beat West Coast was an impressive result for me. I think they’re every bit as good as Richmond on their day.

But vast improvement didn’t deliver different results and that’s what the team will be judged by. Some head scratching team selection calls will draw most of the fire which is a shame because it glosses over much else of what went on in 2019. People will generally have no time to appreciate the good when the bad looked so bloody awful. I’m not viewing 2019 in that way. To produce the season we did when everyone expected slide is to be commended. To do so while introducing many new faces, several of whom should feature fro the decade to come, was all the more heartening. I think 2019 was an important step along the path to our next flag and really that’s what’s most important to me.

Still, I can’t help but be disappointed as this group was capable of delivering a flag this year, given the quality of opposition. That will hurt for some time.

Too many simular defenders playing in the same team and frankly too many defenders full stop.

I still don't understand why Blicavs was taken away from fullback at all this year, let alone dumped on a wing during a finals campaign where he was redundant; Poor coaching IMO.

You're first paragraph answers your second.

We for years have had too many tall / slow defenders. That gets especially exposed by far teams on the G.

Blicavs playing Ruck or Wing isn't about what he does, it's about us being too big and slow down back.

Definitely a better team this season, but ultimately not good enough.
The coach shat the bed come our first (not playing Stanley) and last final (Blicavs playing on the wing instead of on Lynch).
Can we get a new coach please?

Overall I am happy that we looked a much better team this year than in previous. The players we picked up did better than expected.

I was happy that a few players with questionable finals history played dinner good finals (Kolo, Thuoy, Menegola)

We're not far off, bitty Selwood is slowing down and Kelly probably gone. Had we had Duncan, a fit Rohan and Hawkins then I recon that would be the difference.

We could have pinched it this year, there are no stand out great teams.

This season will be defined by the omission of Stanley in that first final. That set in motion a cascade of events that eventually lead to our demise. Should've won that game. Dumping Stanley made it line-ball. Then we lost, had to play West Coast, which cost us Hawkins, which cost us the game against Richmond. Stupidity of the highest order, which lead to another avoidable finals failure.

This season will be defined by the omission of Stanley in that first final. That set in motion a cascade of events that eventually lead to our demise. Should've won that game. Dumping Stanley made it line-ball. Then we lost, had to play West Coast, which cost us Hawkins, which cost us the game against Richmond. Stupidity of the highest order, which lead to another avoidable finals failure.
More stupidity to come with the replacing of TK with a fat Jack Steven

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The season started off really well.

We had a lot of young talent getting games and they were holding their own.

Unfortunately like most years instead of focusing on development we go back to the same ole players and the same poor tactics.

Constable got left to rot in the VFL, Clark got moved up the ground and the likes of Bews were fit back in the team.

Instead of bringing in players early like Narkle and Kreuger we went back to the likes of Scooter and Henderson. Menegola got back in early instead of going with Constable. Parsons played his best game against the Swans and then got dropped.

The team started playing too risk averse and we were filling the team with defenders.

Towards the end of the year it all started falling apart, instead of sticking with Stanley in the ruck Blicavs got moved just so Henderson could stay in.

Was just amateur hour again, once pressure goes up even the MC stop making good decisions. Finals ended up being business as usual, poor selections, a game plan that doesn't hold up in finals and players who cant play under pressure.

If this club is to make real improvements it needs to focus on development. We need to be playing kids instead of the usual mediocre players like Scooter, Henderson, Bews, Menegola,Tuohy etc.

We need to stick with strict structures like having a 3rd marking forward, a couple of defenders who can kick, wingers who have an outside game. It's not that hard to keep the same structures every week. We wont win as many games but we will have a better balanced team.

Senior players need to miss out when they dont fit in, stop moving defenders into different positions. Sometimes you need to play lesser players like Parsons, Kreuger or Fort because they fit the role better.

Stop trying to win every game when the structures dont hold up in finals. It's embarrassing to spend each year betting against your team during finals because you know they will under perform.

Definitely a better team this season, but ultimately not good enough.
The coach shat the bed come our first (not playing Stanley) and last final (Blicavs playing on the wing instead of on Lynch).
Can we get a new coach please?

We were definitely a better team this season , personnel improved plus we played a solid game plan pre bye then struggled to find it again post bye.
Were we good enough? That's my frustration as we never really gave ourselves a chance in the finals by not settling the team 6 weeks out , plus we totally outsmart ourselves by thinking Blitz is the second coming by playing him totally out of position in Finals
Omitting Stanley was irresponsible - he had done well on Grundy earlier and was coming off a good game V Kreuzer. Kudos to Rhys that he played well after that slap in the face.
After Gaff tore Blitz a new one I was sure Blitz would return to defence - he had done well on Lynch earlier plus Harry is past playing on the tall mobile forwards so Blitz to Lynch was a lock in my mind. We will never know if Blitz there would have changed the result but what we do know is Lynch with 5 won them the game . Such a poor effort from our Coaches/MC to not plan to shut down their best forward - should have made the change at 1/2 time as Blitz was doing SFA on the wing anyway.
It's a very hollow feeling when you go down without firing your best shot , but then again we should be used to that by now :(

So what happened? Did they overthink it and make too many changes to what worked? Did the competition get better? I’m not sure. Possibly both.
Still, I can’t help but be disappointed as this group was capable of delivering a flag this year, given the quality of opposition. That will hurt for some time.

Two outstanding posts in one day CE. Top effort. Good to see not only clear analysis but also a balanced degree of positivity. This is the reality check we need. I hope that's going on right now down at Kardinia Park.

We for years have had too many tall / slow defenders. That gets especially exposed by far teams on the G.

Blicavs playing Ruck or Wing isn't about what he does, it's about us being too big and slow down back.
I would have thought you lock Blicavs in at FB and then build a defence around him, not the other way around:mad:

Interesting that the Tigers were happy to play the three smalls in Houli, Short and Baker in defence. They are all proficient by foot and and were catalysts in their second half 40 point turnaround.

Unfortunately we have none of these types. While the Cats continue to recruit and field players that have limited kicking skills, we will play this predictable, stop/start style of football around the boundary. It's all about defence for the Cats and this unbalanced style is ultimately ineffective in the cut and thrust of finals footy.

Last edited:
Lots to process, but one thing I really liked is how we played the G in the first half of the year.

Then before my eyes I saw us use the slow down the line game the second time against Hawthorn.

Why did/do we change game plan? Is it acknowledged we can't sustain the attacking style all game? Does the team just get nervous?

Interesting that the Tigers were happy to play the three smalls in Houli, Short and Baker in defence. They are all proficient by foot and and were catalysts in their second half 40 point turnaround.

Unfortunately we have none of these types. While the Cats continue to recruit and field players that have limited kicking skills, we will play this predictable, stop/start style of football around the boundary. It's all about defence for the Cats and this unbalanced style is ultimately ineffective in the cut and thrust of finals footy.

I'd say Clark would be one of those types.

The season started off really well.

We had a lot of young talent getting games and they were holding their own.

Unfortunately like most years instead of focusing on development we go back to the same ole players and the same poor tactics.

Constable got left to rot in the VFL, Clark got moved up the ground and the likes of Bews were fit back in the team.

Instead of bringing in players early like Narkle and Kreuger we went back to the likes of Scooter and Henderson. Menegola got back in early instead of going with Constable. Parsons played his best game against the Swans and then got dropped.

The team started playing too risk averse and we were filling the team with defenders.

Towards the end of the year it all started falling apart, instead of sticking with Stanley in the ruck Blicavs got moved just so Henderson could stay in.

Was just amateur hour again, once pressure goes up even the MC stop making good decisions. Finals ended up being business as usual, poor selections, a game plan that doesn't hold up in finals and players who cant play under pressure.

If this club is to make real improvements it needs to focus on development. We need to be playing kids instead of the usual mediocre players like Scooter, Henderson, Bews, Menegola,Tuohy etc.

We need to stick with strict structures like having a 3rd marking forward, a couple of defenders who can kick, wingers who have an outside game. It's not that hard to keep the same structures every week. We wont win as many games but we will have a better balanced team.

Senior players need to miss out when they dont fit in, stop moving defenders into different positions. Sometimes you need to play lesser players like Parsons, Kreuger or Fort because they fit the role better.

Stop trying to win every game when the structures dont hold up in finals. It's embarrassing to spend each year betting against your team during finals because you know they will under perform.
Whilst I don’t agree always - at least here you have put some really good points here and stated a reasonable case.

Much better imo than “ they are s**t”

Go Catters

1) We improved. We were competitive, with a tough backline and a fast, aggressive forward line.
2) We need to improve more.

It's not rocket science.

Hats off to huge years for the young and new: O'Connor (has he ever lost a contest?), Atkins, Miers, Dahlhaus, Rohan and Clarke. Huge improvement from Henry, Rata, Kolo. Keep Stanley as our no. 1 ruck and quit stuffing him around. There's few rucks out there at the moment, and he's had a crack ad is better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back