Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Big soccer fan I suppose?

Coz as said before, you certainly aint watching footy
Statistically Anderson had the better of him this year. Particularly in the second half of the year.

Warner on the other hand is behind statistically but genuinely tore apart some games this year for Sydney single-handedly and is the only one of this entire draft class to have made the All Australian team (albeit, the team of 40)

They're only 3 years in though. Literally any one of them COULD become the best player but I think you're either overrating Serong or underrating this class if you think he should be unanimously no.1

On top of those 3, Green has a ridiculously high ceiling and Rowell even on the back of having OP this season was 9th in clearances, 8th in contested possessions and 3rd in tackles in the AFL. Hayden Young is another who looks a likely superstar.

Statistically Anderson had the better of him this year. Particularly in the second half of the year.

Warner on the other hand is behind statistically but genuinely tore apart some games this year for Sydney single-handedly and is the only one of this entire draft class to have made the All Australian team (albeit, the team of 40)

They're only 3 years in though. Literally any one of them COULD become the best player but I think you're either overrating Serong or underrating this class if you think he should be unanimously no.1

On top of those 3, Green has a ridiculously high ceiling and Rowell even on the back of having OP this season was 9th in clearances, 8th in contested possessions and 3rd in tackles in the AFL. Hayden Young is another who looks a likely superstar.
Yeah Serong had a really slow start to the year but his back half has been elite. Unanimous best on ground in his first ever final is pretty special. Don't think there's much difference between the three of them tbh. I can't separate them.

Serong has the stats of Anderson and the game breaking of Warner

Warner made AA squad but Serong has a rising star and GOTY to his name, plus a best on in a final

Agree with all of this.
Serong is a gun.
But at this stage it's very open to who the best player will be.

Serong is still number 1 right now

there is every chance you take those other 2 at #1 in the future but you can't go past Sebba as of the end of the 2022 season (unless Warner wins a normy, then he might elevate himself)

Serong, Warner and Anderson the big three out of this draft so far imo. Going on who'd be the best, I'd choose Serong because he consistently has major impact on big games and can even crack the bog like he did last night or the close derby last year.
I love this call from a non-Freo supporter. It was pretty amazing every Freo supporter knew Serong would step up in finals and he proved everyone right first finals game.

Agree with everyone that you couldnt really seperate Warner, Serong and Anderson as it stands. Green and Rowell to round out possibly 5 top tier mids from this draft. I think Ash might need to leave GWS to get a gig in a midfield somewhere which will hold him back otherwise.

The career of Jackson probably has a big say in where this draft ends up being rated, he could still be anything but still be nothing more than a handy player.

Serong has the stats of Anderson and the game breaking of Warner

Warner made AA squad but Serong has a rising star and GOTY to his name, plus a best on in a final
What does GOTY year add to how good someone is? Daw has a mark of the year - not sure it adds any weight to how good he is.

Serong just keeps ticking boxes to becoming a champion.
Third in the BNF (9th ‘20, 4th ‘21)
Won Freo’s player of the finals.
Over the two finals in front of crowds of 60k and 90k he averaged:
33d 16 contested. 7.5 clearances
5 tackles 4 score inv.

Of Freo's 4 players selected, Serong seems unusurpable for me.

2019-21 look to be quite promising for the Dockers.

Chad Warner clearly number 1

Three season done

B: John Noble (MSD Pick 14) - Sam De Koning (21 games) - Keidean Coleman (Pick 37)
HB: Lachlan Ash (Pick 4) - Hayden Young (Pick 7) - Will Day (Pick 13)
C: Marlion Pickett (MSD Pick 13) - Tom Green (Pick 10) - Chad Warner (Pick 39)
HF: Brad Close (RD Pick 14) - Mitch Georgiades (Pick 18) - Michael Frederick (Pick 61)
F: Kysaiah Pickett (Pick 12) - Harrison Jones (Pick 30) - Cody Weightman (Pick 15)
R: Luke Jackson (Pick 3) - Noah Anderson (Pick 2) - Caleb Serong (Pick 8)
I: Matt Rowell (Pick 1) - Noah Cumberland (Pick 43) - Trent Rivers (Pick 32) - Harry Schoenberg (Pick 24)

E: Connor Budarick (RD Pick 16) - Miles Bergman (Pick 14) - Jy Farrar (Pick 60) - Dylan Stephens (Pick 5)
Fair draft i must say.

Chad Warner clearly number 1

Got him at 2, Sam De Koning number 1 right now, based on potential and difficulty of finding big men who such defensive beasts at CHB.

Serong at 3 may be a bit rough, but I just feel like for how good he has been, he has probably reached his ceiling as a player.

The others I mentioned and Noah Anderson still have yet to reach their peak as players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big soccer fan I suppose?

Coz as said before, you certainly aint watching footy
Warner just came 2nd in the Swans B&F, had more coaches votes, more brownlow votes and made the All Australian squad.

Serong and Warner are both young guns but Warner had the better 2022. Dismissing someones opinion after Warner has just outperformed him is bizarre.

Maybe watch other teams.

I have a quick crack at it:

1. Serong
2. Warner
3. Anderson
4. Young
5. Jackson
6. Weightman
7. Rowell
8. De Koning
9. Georgiades
10. Day
11. Green
12th Man. Jones

Sorry, cricket season has started.

EDIT: Just realised if you rearrange a little you get Young and Jackson, and Green Day.

Jones and Warner should be opening as well.

Warner just came 2nd in the Swans B&F, had more coaches votes, more brownlow votes and made the All Australian squad.

Serong and Warner are both young guns but Warner had the better 2022. Dismissing someones opinion after Warner has just outperformed him is bizarre.

Maybe watch other teams.
Warner had the better 2022 but serong has had the best career so far

1. Serong
2. Warner
3. Anderson
4. Young
5. Jackson
6. Weightman
7. Rowell
8. De Koning
9. Georgiades
10. Day
11. Green
12th Man. Jones

EDIT: Just realised if you rearrange a little you get Young and Jackson, and Green Day.

Who's the wickie?

1. Serong
2. Warner
3. Anderson
4. Young
5. Jackson
6. Weightman
7. Rowell
8. De Koning
9. Georgiades
10. Day
11. Green
12th Man. Jones

Weightman a bit too high for my liking, but it's still a solid list :]

Got him at 2, Sam De Koning number 1 right now, based on potential and difficulty of finding big men who such defensive beasts at CHB.

Serong at 3 may be a bit rough, but I just feel like for how good he has been, he has probably reached his ceiling as a player.

The others I mentioned and Noah Anderson still have yet to reach their peak as players.

I agree actually, SDK is number 1. Then raffle Warner/Serong, whatever one you prefer they are different types of mids. Then Anderson.

Warner had the better 2022 but serong has had the best career so far
The way the poster has dismissed Warner as better is what im calling out.

Warner has had the best year out of the 2. Its not a wild statement to have Warner at 1 and the poster reference to watching soccer is childish.

That’s what people keep saying,
Limited, low ceiling and he keeps breaking through it.
He has great week to week consistency and is a big game player.
He was best a field in our 5 year 10 game drought breaking derby win as a 20 year old and best a field in our 6 year finals win drought.
The goal of the year in isolation is irrelevant but add it with hes big game performances it show not only does he dig in every week, backed up by ALFCA ALFPA and Rising star panel.
But he has X factor and is a difference maker.
I sound like a broken record but this kid is the second coming of diesel Williams!

That’s what people keep saying,
Limited, low ceiling and he keeps breaking through it.
He has great week to week consistency and is a big game player.
He was best a field in our 5 year 10 game drought breaking derby win as a 20 year old and best a field in our 6 year finals win drought.
The goal of the year in isolation is irrelevant but add it with hes big game performances it show not only does he dig in every week, backed up by ALFCA ALFPA and Rising star panel.
But he has X factor and is a difference maker.
I sound like a broken record but this kid is the second coming of diesel Williams!

By 22 Diesel Williams had a Brownlow, MVP and B&F.

D

1. Serong
2. Warner
3. Anderson
4. Young
5. Jackson
6. Weightman
7. Rowell
8. De Koning
9. Georgiades
10. Day
11. Green
12th Man. Jones

Don’t rate Pickett?

1. Serong
2. Warner
3. Anderson
4. Young
5. Jackson
6. Weightman
7. Rowell
8. De Koning
9. Georgiades
10. Day
11. Green
12th Man. Jones

I have my fingers and toes crossed Jones gets an uninterrupted preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back