Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

I think by the end of their careers that Serong will be #4/5.
Noah Anderson will be the best of the lot as he is sheer class but also is hard as. He's just better with ball in hand.
Warner and Young will be #2/3 followed by SDK/Serong.

With the way that Freo draft still can't believe that they wasted all their picks on Jackson????
I reckon when Rowell gets a run of injury free footy he'll be right in the mix as well.
It always looks different 5 years from now too.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Cumberland looks like a steal @ 43 if he picks up here he left off this year. Thanks Brisbane.
Ralphsmith @ 46 looking like a good call too.

Frederick as one of the last picks in the draft is the steal of the draft.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
This is where the Tim Kelly trade really hurts the Eagles, there was some real blue chip/quality WA clubs in that draft, and they didn't have their first pick until 49.

We wouldn't have selected Georgiades after selecting O Allen & Brander in the previous draft

Robertson, Sharp & Rivers after 3 seasons just seem to be OK players at AFL level at this stage with only Rivers getting regular games, E Taylor delisted. Warner though would have been great

Not many of the players non WA in the 16 -50 range have amounted to much at this stage aside from SDK and Coleman (Academy Selection)

Last edited:
Big year coming up in this draft with players having 4 preseasons under their belt.

The top end of the draft is fantastic without possibly having the generational player of a Bont / Cripps et all. Jackson IMO being the only one still with potential top 5 player in the AFL potential - maybe Green if he turns into Oliver.

On output and projection, I'd accept arguments for any of Green, Serong, Anderson, De Koning, Jackson or Warner to be number 1. Young is going to be the best general defender of the next decade IMO and Rowell could still get back to those first 3 games he played. Pickett could also be the best small forward of the next decade and Georgiades could be anything

You can then probably throw a blanket currently over Ralphsmith, Day, Ash, Stephens, Coleman and Frederick who have all shown flashes or will be very handy players for 150+ games. There's a bunch of other players who could still be decent players as well so sorry if I havent mentioned your dude.

Great draft currently with 2016 pipping it for depth and 2018 pipping it for tippy top end talent

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can then probably throw a blanket currently over Ralphsmith, Day, Ash, Stephens, Coleman and Frederick who have all shown flashes or will be very handy players for 150+ games. There's a bunch of other players who could still be decent players as well so sorry if I havent mentioned your dude.

Still need to throw Weightman's name into the ring. Just a very good small forward.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Big year coming up in this draft with players having 4 preseasons under their belt.

The top end of the draft is fantastic without possibly having the generational player of a Bont / Cripps et all. Jackson IMO being the only one still with potential top 5 player in the AFL potential - maybe Green if he turns into Oliver.

On output and projection, I'd accept arguments for any of Green, Serong, Anderson, De Koning, Jackson or Warner to be number 1. Young is going to be the best general defender of the next decade IMO and Rowell could still get back to those first 3 games he played. Pickett could also be the best small forward of the next decade and Georgiades could be anything

Great draft currently with 2016 pipping it for depth and 2018 pipping it for tippy top end talent
Reckon Anderson will be one of those players where he's in the elite bracket but not recognised for it cos he's up on the gold coast.

Despite them taking a bit of time and losing a year or two to injury, Jones at the Dons needs a year where he cements some continuity.

Reckon Anderson will be one of those players where he's in the elite bracket but not recognised for it cos he's up on the gold coast.

Despite them taking a bit of time and losing a year or two to injury, Jones at the Dons needs a year where he cements some continuity.
I think he's getting his dues at the moment, many have him as a gun and in that bracket of players. All of Green, Serong, Warner and Anderson are elite and going to be elite - hard to split as it stands, though I'm sure each clubs supporters will tell you why their guy is number 1

I think he's getting his dues at the moment, many have him as a gun and in that bracket of players. All of Green, Serong, Warner and Anderson are elite and going to be elite - hard to split as it stands, though I'm sure each clubs supporters will tell you why their guy is number 1
I think injury free Rowell sits in that group comfortably as well.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

So you don’t think serong our vice captain best player in our finals
Rising star and aflca best young player winner has no chance of being a top guy for his generation ?

So you don’t think serong our vice captain best player in our finals
Rising star and aflca best young player winner has no chance of being a top guy for his generation ?
Not really no. Joel Selwood was an incredible player but I wouldnt put him in the same tier as Fyfe

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not really no. Joel Selwood was an incredible player but I wouldnt put him in the same tier as Fyfe
What about dusty?
His won goal of the year he has xfactor
Not straight up meat and potatoes like selwood.
His the second coming of diesel.
I wouldn’t put Cripps or bont in the same catergory as Fyfe.
Fyfe has the best Brownlow votes per a game average of afl era daylight second.
Also 1 of 5 players to have multiple mvps

What about dusty?
His won goal of the year he has xfactor
Not straight up meat and potatoes like selwood.
His the second coming of diesel.
I wouldn’t put Cripps or bont in the same catergory as Fyfe.
Fyfe has the best Brownlow votes per a game average of afl era daylight second.
Also 1 of 5 players to have multiple mvps
Ok, I think the fact you are even asking about Dusty - who is as good or better (certainly not worse) as Fyfe is a bit silly.

Bont and Cripps are also in a tier above with Fyfe and Dusty. They are the uber elite that have a point of difference to the Serongs and Selwoods who are absolutely elite leaders and footballers but not quite the same as those guys. I dont think there was ever a reasonable discussion for Selwood to be the best player in the comp where there certainly has been for those names. I expect Serong's career to be the same

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok, I think the fact you are even asking about Dusty - who is as good or better (certainly not worse) as Fyfe is a bit silly.

Bont and Cripps are also in a tier above with Fyfe and Dusty. They are the uber elite that have a point of difference to the Serongs and Selwoods who are absolutely elite leaders and footballers but not quite the same as those guys. I dont think there was ever a reasonable discussion for Selwood to be the best player in the comp where there certainly has been for those names. I expect Serong's career to be the same

The reason I mentioned dusty is serong is ahead of him at the same age.
Dusty achieved nothing in his first 6 years but peaked when his team peaked so gets extra mayo.
He was only best player in the comp for 1 season in 2017.
If anchors hit a purple patch serong could still pocket normies and jag one year being the best.
His durability is similar to dusty.

Dusty achieved nothing in his first 6 years but peaked when his team peaked so gets extra mayo.
If anchors hit a purple patch serong could still pocket normies and jag one year being the best.
Lol, that's just not true, Dusty might not have won Norm Smith's or Brownlow's in his first 6 years but he was still elite and it definitely wasnt just 2017 he was in the conversation as best player in comp. Serong is not ahead of him at the same time (they play different roles / positions). I dont think Serong will ever be in the conversation to be the best player in the comp - more than happy to be wrong

1677220160118.png

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol, that's just not true, Dusty might not have won Norm Smith's or Brownlow's in his first 6 years but he was still elite and it definitely wasnt just 2017 he was in the conversation as best player in comp. Serong is not ahead of him at the same time (they play different roles / positions). I dont think Serong will ever be in the conversation to be the best player in the comp - more than happy to be wrong

View attachment 1614856
I wont lol at you if he does.

I love Serong, but this is a long way from how I see it.
He is a terrific player, but a very different style to Dusty. He is not ahead of Dusty at this stage.

If you Start arguing whether someone is great or greatest, it's kinda irrelevant.
I'll have any of the guys mentioned here no problem at all.
Literally can't go wrong with any of them

If you Start arguing whether someone is great or greatest, it's kinda irrelevant.
I'll have any of the guys mentioned here no problem at all.
Literally can't go wrong with any of them
Yeah agreed, but not what Ronnie was asking / saying.

They are all shaping as fantastic players

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
He is a terrific player, but a very different style to Dusty. He is not ahead of Dusty at this stage.
They play in different positions
Dusty had 2 top 5 bnf finishes
2 22u22 app in fwd line
In his first 3 years.
Serong
Rising star 2020
Aflca young player 2021
2 top 5 bnf finishes
1x 22u22
Dockers player of finals 2022
Goal of the year 2021
In his first 3 years
And is made vice captain

Obviously in hindsight your judgement is clouded because of what dusty did later

Last edited:

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They play in different positions
Dusty had 2 top 5 bnf finishes
2 22u22 app in fwd line
In his first 3 years.
Serong
Rising star 2020
Aflca young player 2021
2 top 5 bnf finishes
1x 22u22
Dockers player of finals 2022
Goal of the year 2021
In his first 3 years
And is made vice captain

Obviously in hindsight your judgement is clouded because of what dusty did later

It has nothing to do with their CV’s, but simply their playing styles.

Serong isn’t, and never will be, a Dustin Martin type footballer.

Back