Prediction 2019 Rising Star Award - Congratulations Sam Walsh!

Who will win the 2019 Rising Star?

• R1 Bailey Scott (North Melbourne)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • R2 Charlie Constable (Geelong)

• R3 Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)

Votes: 31 17.7%
  • R4 Sam Walsh (Carlton)

Votes: 96 54.9%
  • R5 Jack Petruccelle (West Coast)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • R6 Xavier Duursma (Port Adelaide)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • R7 Cameron Zurhaar (North Melbourne)

• R8 Gryan Miers (Geelong)

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • R9 Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • R10 Liam Baker (Richmond)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • R11 Sydney Stack (Richmond)

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • R12 Tarryn Thomas (North Melbourne)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • R13 Dylan Clarke (Essendon)

• R14 Nick Blakey (Sydney)

• R15 Jordan Clark (Geelong)

• R16 Nick Larkey (North Melbourne)

• R17 Shai Bolton (Richmond)

• R18 Mitchell Lewis (Hawthorn)

• R19 Ben King (Gold Coast)

• R20 Noah Answerth (Brisbane Lions)

• R21 Oscar Allen (West Coast)

• R22 Josh Battle (St Kilda)

• R23 Brent Daniels (GWS)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas will be considered more as he moves into the midfield. He is definitely one of the best in this draft class. Playing mainly forward, he is not getting the opportunity to show his all round ability. It is a bit easier for the boys strolling around the midfield without an opponent to rack up disposals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thomas will be considered more as he moves into the midfield. He is definitely one of the best in this draft class. Playing mainly forward, he is not getting the opportunity to show his all round ability. It is a bit easier for the boys strolling around the midfield without an opponent to rack up disposals.

Yeah agreed. Has some real tricks, genuine one touch player. Highly influential despite lower stats. Jet.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My money would be on Rozee from here with Walsh a close second. They would probably be level pegging apart from 2 differences.

Not sure if these factor in but it probably should, Rozee plays in a harder position and has broken into a better team.

Apart from that I can’t split them

Yep, Tarryn's the best player from this draft - first in kicking efficiency, third in goal kicking tests, takes a brilliant contested mark, tackles like a demon, ultra composed

I wonder if he'd been in the TAC system whether he'd have far better fitness base like the Walsh and Bailey Smith types.

But Walsh win the award and he'll be a worthy winner, great debut year.

Yep, Tarryn's the best player from this draft - first in kicking efficiency, third in goal kicking tests, takes a brilliant contested mark, tackles like a demon, ultra composed

I wonder if he'd been in the TAC system whether he'd have far better fitness base like the Walsh and Bailey Smith types.

Whats his Kicking efficiency? Stack was second only to Hurn from WC for kicking efficiency for a backline player all year sitting just above 80 odd %

Whats his Kicking efficiency? Stack was second only to Hurn from WC for kicking efficiency for a backline player all year sitting just above 80 odd %

I was talking about in the draft camp - he won the kicking efficiency test.

Stack's a gun too - him and Tarryn will be one of the great rivalries of the 2020s.

Champion data has stack, Rozee, Smith as the top three. Gryan Miers would be equal second to rozee if the rankings included players taken in the 2017 draft. Walsh fourth, fifth if Miers is included.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a time when we care about what CD says? I know some are selective.

It actually supports my opinion, and probably that of others like JeanLucGoddard who haven’t fallen for the Walsh is otherworldly hype

Smith had no preseason. Was injured. Is playing off next to no fitness base.

Smith had no preseason. Was injured. Is playing off next to no fitness base.

Yeah, but he'd been in the system for years, dedicated trainer, all that, he built a real base, it was what helped him come back and thrive at senior level.

Making no judgement on TT, Smith or Walsh with this post.

The more I have worked with these types both in vic and across the border, I don’t think TAC Cup is this great system that develops players so well.

TT would have had great experience against senior bodies and the like.

TAC is over inflated as the best u18 comp in the country from the old bias towards Victoria in my opinion. And just through weight of numbers in terms of kids coming through.

I’ll use a couple of different examples. There is a Richmond rookie list kid named Derek Eggmolesse-Smith. Indigenous fella, great size for a half back flank and agile as a cat. In his draft eligible year he played one game for the pioneers while largely playing Sunraysia league. Went undrafted. The next year he moved to Melbourne and played in the northern football league, made it to richmond’s VFL and played two pioneers games as an over ager. Last year was wrecked with stress fractures but I wouldn’t be surprised if he debuts this year. His rise has been great.

And then perhaps a better example is Dylan Stephens from the upcoming draft. Projected around top five. Playing for SA at the championships. A great south Aussie product right? Not exactly. He is from Mildura and played junior football with red cliffs. The decision was made to send him to school in Adelaide where he found his way into the sanfl system and has been playing league footy there. I think more and more this will happen for players particularly in the border regions.

Summary: I don’t rate the TAC Cup system as high as many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas has been a part of the AIS AFL Academy and playing at state level since U16s so I think it's overstating it to say that he's less developed than others because he didn't play in the TAC cup. Not to mention he would have been given access to AFL level training programs and mentoring prior to being drafted that not every other draftee already tied to a club had access to.

Izak Rankine is the most talented player in the draft, Walsh is currently the best. Rankine was so good that Rozee was completely overshadowed by him playing in the Adelaide team to the general footy public. The one thing Walsh has got is a ridiculous mind set and work ethic and clearly thats on show, generally players that work that hard and are smart end up being the best, Rankine is a complete natural freakshow so if he works hard getting his body and fitness to an elite standard he will be the best by a mile no contest.

These stats are highly over rated. One defender kicks safe sideways kicks hitting easy uncontested players and another goes for slicing attacking kicks because that is his role. They mean very little.

These stats are highly over rated. One defender kicks safe sideways kicks hitting easy uncontested players and another goes for slicing attacking kicks because that is his role. They mean very little.

Kick rating is a much better and more important stat. Hurn, JJ and Daniel lead that in 2019.

Does Stack look like a player who plays it safe? Or would you say he's more attacking with his kicking? Watch the clip in the tweet and let me know...

They mean very little if you don’t know the player

f166e8a0cbdc7b30c04a7e2f660fdaf9.jpg

Back