Prediction 2019 Rising Star winner discussion.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't 2018 always considered a super draft, even 1.5 years out? IIRC clubs were keen to hold onto their future firsts during the 2017 trade period.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it Greenes record?
Well done to the kid and an achievement to play all 22 games for the club in his 1st year

I believe so.

Did Greene miss a game or two? I think I remember him averaging 27 or 28 which is more than Walsh.

If Walsh turns out like Greene we are extremely lucky. Hope he remains in the middle next year.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McKay was actually a very reliable kick early on. Something is in his head ATM and it's gone to water. No way of knowing really how Larkey goes in future years once there is pressure to perform.

Would love to understand one day what goes on mentally with these players. Someone like Casboult is now one of our best kicks for goal.

McKay's best value may end up being as our CHF. Impossible matchup with his speed, athleticism and size (he's 204cm). Then we play guys like Mitch and Curnow deeper.

Larkey has a good technique though, doesn't rely on a swinging outside the line left boot. Which is why it's unsustainable.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Larkey's just not sexy. McKay has the extreme athleticism for a guy his size, Naughton has the big high-flying contested mark clunks. Larkey doesn't do anything particularly highlight worthy, he's just a bloody smart footballer who gets himself to the right spot and makes the most of his opportunities.

I think your underating his marking ability for a young guy the work he was doing in the VFL was really impressive marking wise.

I think that will continue to shine through

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Who holds it?

I'm think Toby Greene, Michael Barlow or Rhys Palmer?

I'll go with Rhys Palmer.

Toby Greene, but the records only go back as far as 1999. Still a wonderful effort by the 2019 NAB Rising Star.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Goldy ahead of Bontempelli too, but don't see Dogs fans spruiking the importance of player ratings there...
I don't think any dog fans have spruiked the importance of player ratings. I don't think any have even commented on them.

I just posted the ratings as an unbiased metric of the impact of first year players. Clearly it's flawed, as is purely looking at stats or any other system that tries to place a numerical value on a players value.

If you prefer I can just add another post trying to devalue players that I've barely seen from other teams or bringing in random ineligible players from my team to try to get acknoledgement that my team has the brightest future because we have the best young players.

That seems to be what most posts here are about.

Back