2019 Rolling All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

ROUND 5 UPDATE

B: Tom Stewart (Geelong) Phil Davis (GWS) James Sicily (Hawthorn)
HB: Shannon Hurn (West Cost) Jeremy McGovern (West Coast) Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
C: Tim Kelly (Geelong) Patrick Cripps (Carlton) Jack Billings (St Kilda)
HF: Issac Heeney (Sydney) Jeremy Cameron (GWS) Michael Walters (Fremantle)
FF: Jordan De Goey (Collingwood) Tom Lynch (Richmond) Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (Essendon)
FOLL: Brodie Grundy (Collingwood) Travis Boak (Port Adelaide) Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
I/C: Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs) Adam Saad (Essendon) Tom Rockliff (Port Adelaide) Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)

McGovern nowhere near it so far this year - what has stood out for you? Barrass was better for us before his injury.

I'd have Blicavs and Moore as my KPDs.

definitely in consideration right now, but there are a lot of good mids
Just depends if you’re actually gonna have wings or guys who haven’t play a minute out there on the wings. He’s probably got 3 bogs already and has performed better than 3/4’s of that side

If his name wasn’t Liam Jones he’d be very close to being in at this stage.
Has been excellent to this point.

Agree , when you consider Buddy’s 2 goals were dubious free / non free his goals against would be even lower & it is already lowest in the league !!

Agree , when you consider Buddy’s 2 goals were dubious free / non free his goals against would be even lower & it is already lowest in the league !!

With Weitering finding some form and confidence this has allowed Jones to become a lock down one on one defender who occasionally sags off his man to help kill a high ball contest.

This has been the biggest change in his game from previous seasons where he has been caught trying to cover two spots because of little support. Basically caught in the middle and not being either.
Doesn’t have huge football IQ, so he needs a definitive task.

Carlton’s entire back six have been good so far this year stopping scores, need to add a little rebound that hopefully Williamson can provide when he gets his body right.

With Weitering finding some form and confidence this has allowed Jones to become a lock down one on one defender who occasionally sags off his man to help kill a high ball contest.

This has been the biggest change in his game from previous seasons where he has been caught trying to cover two spots because of little support. Basically caught in the middle and not being either.
Doesn’t have huge football IQ, so he needs a definitive task.

Carlton’s entire back six have been good so far this year stopping scores, need to add a little rebound that hopefully Williamson can provide when he gets his body right.
Despite only winning 1 game were at 90% and are a top 8 back six according to scores against. Weitering Jones deserve looks in the AA squad this year. Killing KP players every game.

Round 1 - Reiwoldt kicks 1 lynch kicks 3 (Two from dubious free kicks by reiwoldt holding or jumping unrealistically)
Round 2 - lycett 1 goal that is it. All smalls otherwise
Round 3 -franklin 2 from free kicks. Hayward 2 Blakey 1 all from very tough angles and they were surprisingly accurate at marvel.
Round 4 - Wright kicks 1 from possible angle off a free kick
Round 5 - Naughton none

Trend it heading upwards. As our midfield improves our backline goes from having balls coming in under no pressure to all of a sudden having time to compose ourselves. It’s an awesome natural progression.

I could argue Jones or Weitering deserve a spot in front of Moore.

Moore v Weitering
Weiters intercepts more and turns it over less despite kicking it more often. Writers marks it more. The only thing Moore is doing better is 2 more touches a game and hits his targets 10% more (80 v 70). But he plays for Collingwood who get you on spread so he has easier targets to hit and he handballs more. Weitering has only conceded 17% of his more one on one battles this year. Moore concedes 25% of less battles. Defensively Weitering is better and deserves the spot in front Moore whose a highlight reel of spoils which actually occurs just as much as Weitering does it anyway.

Surely the player with the most contested marks in the AFL by a long way deserves a look in too.

Despite only winning 1 game were at 90% and are a top 8 back six according to scores against. Weitering Jones deserve looks in the AA squad this year. Killing KP players every game.

Round 1 - Reiwoldt kicks 1 lynch kicks 3 (Two from dubious free kicks by reiwoldt holding or jumping unrealistically)
Round 2 - lycett 1 goal that is it. All smalls otherwise
Round 3 -franklin 2 from free kicks. Hayward 2 Blakey 1 all from very tough angles and they were surprisingly accurate at marvel.
Round 4 - Wright kicks 1 from possible angle off a free kick
Round 5 - Naughton none

Trend it heading upwards. As our midfield improves our backline goes from having balls coming in under no pressure to all of a sudden having time to compose ourselves. It’s an awesome natural progression.

I could argue Jones or Weitering deserve a spot in front of Moore.

Moore v Weitering
Weiters intercepts more and turns it over less despite kicking it more often. Writers marks it more. The only thing Moore is doing better is 2 more touches a game and hits his targets 10% more (80 v 70). But he plays for Collingwood who get you on spread so he has easier targets to hit and he handballs more. Weitering has only conceded 17% of his more one on one battles this year. Moore concedes 25% of less battles. Defensively Weitering is better and deserves the spot in front Moore whose a highlight reel of spoils which actually occurs just as much as Weitering does it anyway.

According to you,Weitering turns it over less, but Moore has a better DE %?

Lloyd Weitering Sicily
Hurn Stewart Ryan
Henderson Neale Whitfield
Witts Cripps Fyfe
Dangerfield Cameron Mckay
Ablett Lynch De Goey

Sexton Boak Zorko Coniglio

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to you,Weitering turns it over less, but Moore has a better DE %?
Direct turnovers are impacted by hitting up the opposition. You receive no change once you dispose over 40 m plus when you don’t hit your target it affects your DE% but it can miss a target without being a turnover you realise.

Direct turnovers are impacted by hitting up the opposition. You receive no change once you dispose over 40 m plus when you don’t hit your target it affects your DE% but it can miss a target without being a turnover you realise.
Well no. If it's a direct turnover (ie, intercept mark) it counts as an ineffective disposal. However if you go long down the line, the ball gets spoiled and spills to an opposition player it doesn't affect it.

also quick question for my supercoach lol, who do you think is more likely to keep their spot once cotchin is back between ross and baker?

Id say probably ross, can see us playing cotchin forward more often..... baker has been good though so its a tough one

Well no. If it's a direct turnover (ie, intercept mark) it counts as an ineffective disposal. However if you go long down the line, the ball gets spoiled and spills to an opposition player it doesn't affect it.
Isn’t that what I just said.

Billings a lock from his first 5 rounds. Wouldn’t be surprised if both him and Gresh came close to jagging a selection this year.

Jake Lloyd is winning a tonne of ball, but most Swans fans on here are dubious (at best) about his influence on games. Opposition coaches, imo, are happy to him run around unmarked to get 30-35 touches a week because he doesn't inflict much damage with his disposal. He isn't a very penetrating kick at all. I've always really liked him as a player and love how hard he works, and he's improved his defensive play a lot in the last few years, but I don't think he's a worthy AA nominee atm. I'd actually love to see him moved to a wing.

From the Swans, I'd say Dane Rampe is thoroughly deserving of a mention. He's been fantastic so far, and was brilliant against Martin and Lynch on Saturday night. I'd say Isaac Heeney would be worthy of being in the discussion for the 22 atm without being a lock. Only two Swans in it imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back