List Mgmt. 2019 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope tall defender/forward, surprised he didn’t go in last tear’s draft, followed up last year with good TAC form this year

Righto, a good needs pick then. Who was I thinking of?

Anyway, why did we take Hunter before this guy? Surely no one was going take Hunter in front of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EH is still here.

Not too fussed as sanfl more about developing players for our afl side.

Which makes it interesting when you go to watch. We are often playing an AFL game plan against teams that it is not suited for. Winning is a bonus, but not the ultimate aim for our SANFL team (some people struggle with this idea). Means it becomes a very polite clap time and not a typical supporting game. ;)

Which makes it interesting when you go to watch. We are often playing an AFL game plan against teams that it is not suited for.

I've never understood this, though. Surely if anything playing an AFL game plan should make us perform better against the, presumably, less sophisticated SANFL game plans. Or, if those game plans are so effective against AFL game plans, why don't we just adopt those for our AFL side?

That's last year, this year he's done well in the VFL as well as an over ager in the TAC. Youngest player in last year's draft.

Thanks for that reference Bicks. From that, here's what Chris Doerre had to say about him last year:

Jordan Butts
Position: Key defence
Expected draft range: 35 to undrafted
Why he can make it: Averaging a TAC Cup-high 7.5 marks per game, Butts is arguably the most underrated key position player in this year's draft. The 196cm, 82kg, defender is the youngest in the draft pool but has proven to be an intercept marking extraordinaire down back, with his strong overhead grabs and early reading of the ball in flight his great strengths.

From the Murray Bushrangers site (I think he'll be seeing a bit of the gym and the weights next year)

35749732_1_M.jpg

Thanks for that reference Bicks. From that, here's what Chris Doerre had to say about him last year:

Jordan Butts
Position:
Key defence
Expected draft range: 35 to undrafted
Why he can make it: Averaging a TAC Cup-high 7.5 marks per game, Butts is arguably the most underrated key position player in this year's draft. The 196cm, 82kg, defender is the youngest in the draft pool but has proven to be an intercept marking extraordinaire down back, with his strong overhead grabs and early reading of the ball in flight his great strengths.

From the Murray Bushrangers site (I think he'll be seeing a bit of the gym and the weights next year)

35749732_1_M.jpg
He's still only 18 until after Christmas.

Old photo he's bulked up some since then.

I've never understood this, though. Surely if anything playing an AFL game plan should make us perform better against the, presumably, less sophisticated SANFL game plans. Or, if those game plans are so effective against AFL game plans, why don't we just adopt those for our AFL side?

Simply because an AFL game plan relies on all players being able to play to positions etc and as we have top up players, once one of them starts to tire and can't quite get to the position they need to, then the opposition is able to break through easily. It's the top up players that are the cause of the breakdown. They try but they often don't have the skill set or the endurance of an AFL or even an SANFL player. The stats over the last couple of years were something like we only needed 14 AFL listed players in our team to win in the SANFL while Port needed 16. Once you understand that, then you understand why the SANFL and their clubs want us to play more top-up players where possible.

It would absolutely work if it could be executed. That's where you run into problems and when it all breaks down with skill errors and turnovers. Which is why people are so quick to identify the top up players as not being up to it.

Butts is a quintessential KPP, can play back or forward and has off the charts endurance.
Endurance seems to be a theme...are we predicting a fast game style and reduced rotations or is it a learning from last preseason?

It would absolutely work if it could be executed. That's where you run into problems and when it all breaks down with skill errors and turnovers. Which is why people are so quick to identify the top up players as not being up to it.

And why I hate those people who keep sticking the boot into those players. They are doing the best they can with one training session a week on an AFL game plan. Give them a bloody break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back