List Mgmt. 2019 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The best laid plans of mice and men .........................

From the Port Melbourne website

Borough Sign Young Ruckman Kieran Strachan

The Port Melbourne Football Club are pleased to announce the signing of young ruckman Kieran Strachan.

Strachan is a 22-year-old, 202 centimetre ruckman initially from South Bendigo who has most recently been on Essendon’s VFL list.

With a heavy artillery of AFL-listed personnel to choose from each week for the Bombers, Strachan was often an unfortunate ‘victim of circumstance’ when it came to earning a spot despite an obvious amount of raw ability and consistently-strong performances with his home club South Bendigo.

Strachan has only played 4 VFL games since joining the Bombers VFL List in 2017 which included being named in the Best Players following a 16-disposal, 8-mark (5 contested) and 4-tackle match last year.

Strachan won two consecutive best and fairests with the ‘Bloods’ in 2015/16, and has been on the radar of several AFL clubs having also tested at the AFL Combine last year.

So far this season, Strachan has put together 7 games with South Bendigo and even managed to sneak forward to boot 9 goals.

With Premiership ruckman Lachie Waddell currently sidelined with a foot injury, Borough fans can possibly expect to see Strachan play a role within the engine room over the next few weeks.

Strachan will officially wear jumper number 50 for the Borough.

From a list change point of view, Strachan officially replaces Wade Donnan who will be put on the club’s supplementary list as he returns from recent injury setbacks.

We’ve had Hunter for how long now? He’s not close to getting a game.
And hes 4th in line, no biggie. That said, from where he was to where he is now he's going ok

We’ve had Hunter for how long now? He’s not close to getting a game.

3 years I think. Could just be a case of we don't rate what's left. Or Rucks are just being rucks again.

Gutted for Griggy. Perhaps the risk re his Dad and his potential emotional state was too great but for mine still clearly the best state league footballer out there and far superior to many picked today, especially in the rookie draft.

Extra happy with Butts, annoyed with Hunter (wanted Sweet). So so about the other bloke I need to do more digging on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutted for Griggy. Perhaps the risk re his Dad and his potential emotional state was too great but for mine still clearly the best state league footballer out there and far superior to many picked today, especially in the rookie draft.

Extra happy with Butts, annoyed with Hunter (wanted Sweet). So so about the other bloke I need to do more digging on.
The thing with Grigg that probably cost him too is a lack of legspeed and defensive transition. Plenty of gun SANFL players have had the same issues and it's more important than ever now

I'll give you the answer why Grigg wasn't drafted.

What list was he on for 5 years? Then factor in lack of leg speed and right now pretty much the best he'll be and it is no shock at all he wasn't drafted.

It would have been a massive waste of time, even as a rookie pick.

The thing with Grigg that probably cost him too is a lack of legspeed and defensive transition. Plenty of gun SANFL players have had the same issues and it's more important than ever now

Not at all, he's far superior to many on AFL lists now performing well. It's not always about leg speed, it helps but if you have other tools you can be very good. He's quicker than Sam Mitchell, Matt Crouch, Matt Priddis and J P Kennedy. Doesn't hurt them. The key is picking the ones that you know can handle the next level from the ones that can't.

I'll give you the answer why Grigg wasn't drafted.

What list was he on for 5 years? Then factor in lack of leg speed and right now pretty much the best he'll be and it is no shock at all he wasn't drafted.

It would have been a massive waste of time, even as a rookie pick.

As per above it's not his ability nor his lack of leg speed. You just simply have to watch them play and you will know. It's a recruiting football instinct when you watch someone play.

He was extremely stiff on our list, Walshy loved him, he was a victim of the sub rule in his early day, finally got games and was playing well then totally screwed his ankle and that ruined his momentum. Campo hated him, someone that doesn't help. Went back to Norwood and found his love for footy again and is clearly in career best form. He's much better now than he was with us. Much better, he's at the peak of his powers. I'd be questioning his mental side and that's probably gone against him with regards to things with his Dad etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back