2019 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

For those understandably considering (if not outright locking in) Bailey Scott, i've a couple of reliable NM watchers who suggest he won't get picked early despite his solid form. Too many mature bodies, including some new recruits, for him to bypass for Rd 1. They are very much in 'win now' mode internally. Possible donut option perhaps if you are looking for one.
Of course, they could be wrong and he might play every game

View attachment 633495
Thanks for the feedback .....we'll find out at team selection I guess

For those understandably considering (if not outright locking in) Bailey Scott, i've a couple of reliable NM watchers who suggest he won't get picked early despite his solid form. Too many mature bodies, including some new recruits, for him to bypass for Rd 1. They are very much in 'win now' mode internally. Possible donut option perhaps if you are looking for one.
Of course, they could be wrong and he might play every game

View attachment 633495

I do expect him to play Round 1 but his JS is not strong with Anderson, Cunnington and Jacobs to come back in.

I’ve gone the same route with an average of $136K and that’s even with a base price donut in Jordan sweet. It appears this year that most of the ‘premium’ priced rookies are the best options. I’ve had the likes of Gibbons, Mckay, Hind, Fort etc in my side all pre season but after watching them in the JLT they all look to be slow burners with not much upside.

Furthermore

Not many guys have genuinely locked away being in the best 22 of there respective clubs.

At the moment, imho, only got 3 guys who I believe are worthy of being in there respective clubs 22 (Collins - GCS, Setterfield/Walsh - Carl) with the rest of the placeholders in my Supercoach side all in that 18 - 25 range of there lists.

So bloody frusterating this year

Are people genuinely looking at Ridley? Haven't seen him play this year, but high price, JS iffy. Seem to be better options.

My take on Ridley is he is going to score like a beast in the role he's going to be playing (80-90 type scores) which at his price is bloody good. The downside is I reckon both Gleeson and Redman are ahead of him in the coaches pecking order. So I reckon by about rounds 4-6 when Gleeson/Redman have a couple of VFL match fitness games under their belt he'll be in severe jeopardy in terms of job security. Gleeson might not be back in that time frame (since his ankle problems stem back to preseason last year but I believe Redman is in full training).

I reckon if you take him you basically accept the J/S risk and accept you may have to burn a trade to swap him out. For those that are brave enough if you get a stroke of luck and Gleeson/Redman have further setbacks (they are injury prone) it could turn out to be a big win. There is also a possibility Redman could play elsewhere on the field as he's more of a utility type and has spent some time through the midifield. I don't think you'll lose money taking Ridley but you will likely lose a trade at some point.

My take on Ridley is he is going to score like a beast in the role he's going to be playing (80-90 type scores) which at his price is bloody good. The downside is I reckon both Gleeson and Redman are ahead of him in the coaches pecking order. So I reckon by about rounds 4-6 when Gleeson/Redman have a couple of VFL match fitness games under their belt he'll be in severe jeopardy in terms of job security. Gleeson might not be back in that time frame (since his ankle problems stem back to preseason last year but I believe Redman is in full training).

I reckon if you take him you basically accept the J/S risk and accept you may have to burn a trade to swap him out. For those that are brave enough if you get a stroke of luck and Gleeson/Redman have further setbacks (they are injury prone) it could turn out to be a big win. There is also a possibility Redman could play elsewhere on the field as he's more of a utility type and has spent some time through the midifield. I don't think you'll lose money taking Ridley but you will likely lose a trade at some point.

If he's going to score well, why would we bring in someone else then?

I've got only $117,500 to spend on a DEF rookie
Apart from Hore (got him already) is there any other DEF rookie that is likely to get a game from RD1?
I think you have to start the year with minimum $10k in the bank, enough to go Atkins to a $123.9k rookie for example if you had to, or a $117k rookie to a $123.9k rookie.

$25k-$40k is ideal in my opinion, in case you had to grab one of the $140k-$150k rookies in round 3

Going in with $0 is very risky and could cost you big in round 3 if you can't get that perfect rookie correction trade

I think you have to start the year with minimum $10k in the bank, enough to go Atkins to a $123.9k rookie for example if you had to, or a $117k rookie to a $123.9k rookie.

$25k-$40k is ideal in my opinion, in case you had to grab one of the $140k-$150k rookies in round 3

Going in with $0 is very risky and could cost you big in round 3 if you can't get that perfect rookie correction trade

I've got $35K in the bank atm, but if Roberton is out, I'll have to re-arrange my team a little bit.
I'm trying to keep most of the players that I have and therefore to squeeze another Mills in, I have to look for a cheap DEF rookie

I do expect him to play Round 1 but his JS is not strong with Anderson, Cunnington and Jacobs to come back in.
If those guys don't play you would have to think that he would be a chance given his form.
The 2 guys I was talking to however were adamant that it had more or less already been decided that the senior bodies/recruits would be given first crack at 2019, and the young blokes/draftees would need to bide their time. Just reporting what I have been told

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that, that really helps. Had Ridley last year band was / am worried about his spot in the team, but agree that he should score well while he's in.
Ben back and forth the whole time on Darcy Moore with the injury risk.

Saw him last year in arguarbly his best game for the Zebras. He is a classic tweener and feel he will be exactly like that between State league / AFL.

Will dominate in the NEAFL but struggle at AFL level. Think of Cam Pederson when wanting an apt comparison

If those guys don't play you would have to think that he would be a chance given his form.
The 2 guys I was talking to however were adamant that it had more or less already been decided that the senior bodies/recruits would be given first crack at 2019, and the young blokes/draftees would need to bide their time. Just reporting what I have been told

Scott generally picks rookies on merit. If he is ready, he will play.

He looks well ahead of the other draftees.

Surely you just use the cash from whatever prick is gonna do a knee in R1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back