Review 2019 Round 1 - GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, 24 March 3.20 pm @ Giants Stadium

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 1 2019 - GWS vs Essendon

Where and when: Sydney Showground Stadium, Sunday March 24, 3.20pm AEDT

GWS v ESS.PNG

Last time they met: Sydney Showground Stadium, round 10, 2018: GWS 8.12 (60) lost to Essendon 14.11 (95)

The Bombers handed GWS its fourth straight defeat after booting six goals to one in a dominant final term. Jake Stringer and Mark Baguley kicked three goals while David Zaharakis claimed the three Brownlow medal votes for his 33 possessions, six clearances, six inside 50s and a goal.

What it means for GWS: A successful start is a must for GWS with games against West Coast (away), Richmond (home) and Geelong (away) in the first month of the season.

What it means for Essendon: The Bombers have plenty of expectations on them after another big off-season of recruiting, and a win will show they're ready to handle the hype.

How GWS wins: The Giants' backline isn't full strength but is brilliantly led by Phil Davis, and without Joe Daniher and Cale Hooker, it's hard to see how the visitors kick a winning score.

How Essendon wins: The addition of Dylan Shiel is massive for the Bombers and he adds some speed to their already quality midfield, which will gain the ascendancy.

The stat: The Bombers trounced the Giants 16-8 in the centre clearances and 55-42 overall in round 10 last season, a statistic that helped them pile on 6.3 to 1.3 in a one-sided final quarter. Dyson Heppell (12), Zach Merrett (nine) and David Zaharakis (six) led the way.

The match-up: Zac Williams v Orazio Fantasia

This will be a battle of two speedsters and looms as crucial to both sides. Williams provides plenty of run from defence and sets up a lot of attacks, but Fantasia is one of the most dangerous small forwards in the game and can cut sides to pieces if given too much space.

Let's hope that a big crowd turns up for the first game of the season, and that our Giants are up for the fight. Let's go Giants!

It's not often I overreact to games, but IMO this is almost a must win. We should be a class above Essendon still and our loss to them last year cost us in the final standings and was probably the worst loss in relation to expectations. If Essendon shows up with last year's hunger and we don't we're going to get rolled - they've definitely improved their team but we need to improve our consistency.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's not often I overreact to games, but IMO this is almost a must win. We should be a class above Essendon still and our loss to them last year cost us in the final standings and was probably the worst loss in relation to expectations. If Essendon shows up with last year's hunger and we don't we're going to get rolled - they've definitely improved their team but we need to improve our consistency.
Our defence and fwds should be hungry and firing.

Just in the middle I'm worried about though Hopper and Taranto are set for big seasons I reckon.

NEVER SURRENDER!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Big match this one. With some big names here a win could really set the season up

We have gone with experience at the match committee which I can understand.

For me the battle will be in the midfield- I expect them to dominate the clearances but think our forward line looks too good to not kick a winning score

We should win this

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Spare a thought for the Melbourne journos having to take a hard look at a seasons worth of prepared material writing you off and talking Essendon up.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Really sticky for someone come from Canberra. Hope the Melbournites are feeling it worse!

Keep this up Giants, tackling and competing really hard.

Getting full measure out of Keeffe after his knee injury.

Back