Sep 7, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
SMFC
The story so far
Collingwood (LWLWWWWWWWLWWLLWL)
Collingwood have shown at various times throughout the season that they may be contenders yet again, the win against West Coast in Perth a prime example of this. It has been their inconsistency that has let them down on multiple occasions as Nathan Buckley eluded to in the presser after the defeat to GWS. That said the elite level they have played at certain times throughout the year and the position they sit in on the ladder they are definitely capable of anything weather that be in Round 19 against us or come September like last year.

Richmond (WLLWWWWLWWWLLLWWWW)
We’ve had a strange year, a year of great development for many of our players through the opportunity’s created by injury and a year where we’ve held strong throughout the whole season to keep ourselves with a stiff come finals. Finally, after waiting and waiting we’ve retained most of our star players back from injury and things look like they’re begging to click. I smell a bit of sniff sniff 2017 beware…

How important is this game?
This game is the most important game of our season to date, our biggest test. We’ve looked great since the bye with 4 consecutive wins and are really beginning to look threating. We’ve regained Cotchin, Short, Lambert and Riewoldt and possibly Nankervis from injury with Martin building his form nicely. Added onto the importance of the test of our true ability it is also extremely important in the race for top 4. Win and we are into the top 4 and not ruling out the possibility of a Home final and double chance considering we have games against both West coast and Brisbane. For the pies it is the same equation with the importance on staying in the top 4 and not letting us leap frog them. They need to steady themselves and with many players out, backs against the wall, this would be a huge win. Dubbed the biggest game of the season on the AFL website, this one is massive.

Last time we met
R2,2019 Collingwood 17.8 (110) d Richmond 10.6 (66)

Possible changes
Collingwood

In: Brown, Elliot, Goldsack

Out: Appleby, Crocker, Sier

It’s hard to call what changes Nathan Buckley will choose to make but after Collingwood’s lacklustre effort against the Giants one would suspect some changes will be made in an effort to re energise his side and bring heat to the contest.

Richmond
In: Nankervis, Caddy
Out: Soldo, Baker

Nank is finally back from his groin injury after his comeback in the VFL at the weekend and would come straight back into the side if ready. The obvious omition would unfortunately be Ivan Soldo who has enjoyed a period of time in the team. Caddy’s new role has been revealed as a move down back so if he is deemed ready to come back in after trialling his new role in the VFL I would think that Baker would be omitted as stiff as it is.

Six points
1. We lose the clearance count and contested ball pretty much every week and with the dominance of Grundy that won’t change. Richmond will need to look to limit Grundy’s impact because he has the ability to cause massive damage providing a 5-star service to Collingwood’s elite midfielders.

2. Injury factor, in round 2 when we faced the Pies we had suffered the loss of Alex Rance the week before and obviously hadn’t developed our new defensive well enough to challenge a team like Collingwood. This time, the tables have turned. We have regained most of our injured squad and developed a functional and effective defensive structure. Collingwood are now the ones with the outs and only in the last week have they started getting players back.

3.Mason Cox embarrassed us in last year’s prelim, we all remember it… A giant American taking mark after mark after mark kicking 3 goals and looking unstoppable in the process. Despite his performances in the 2018 finals series it hasn’t been smooth sailing for him this year with his recent struggle for form. We must not take him lightly though because after last year’s performance against us, you never know what he is capable of bringing to the table.

4. The Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch partnership that looked absolutely mouth-watering before the seasons start is finally beginning to click. Our twin towers have been able to link up nicely after Jack’s return from injury last fortnight. Against Port Adelaide in our last game they combined for 6 goals, 18 score involvements and one goal assist. The prospect of having 2 of the best tall forwards in the competition in the one forward line is scary for opposition defenders and if they can fire against the pies, the damage caused could be scary.

5.Dylan Grimes: With the injury of Rance in the first game of the season Grimes has been forced to adapt a new role in our defence. He has been forced to match up with some of the best in the competition that would normally go to Rance. He has taken this new role by storm and shown time and time again why he is one of the best defenders in the AFL, his reading of the play and ability to spoil in the marking contests has meant that the loss of Rance hasn’t been as catastrophic as it could have been. He will possibly match up on Mason Cox or Jordan De Goey and look to keep their impact on the game to as small as possible. He is huge for us and often criminally under rated, he has the potential to guide us to victory in the defensive aspect of things.

6. Revenge; Emotions will be on a high after the recent pain Collingwood has inflicted on us, the contest will be explosive from all players involved. We will come out with a point to prove and fire in our bellies. The spectacle is breathtaking in front of 80,000 + at the MCG on a Friday night. Bring it on!
Prediction
Richmond by 28 points

Dicuss…
Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 9.31.32 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 9.32.02 pm.png

Last edited:
Great work Tigersfan35 !!

Huge game, the pies will be setting themselves for this and believe they have the plan to beat us given the recent history.

Might not be a popular opinion but I wouldn't bring Nank back for this one.

It's a huge game and Grundy is an extreme athlete. I just worry Nank wont have the miles in the legs to keep up with him and could blow up.

I'm happy to back Soldo in to compete well against Grundy.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Too many soldiers missing (again) to make a decent game of it. Tigers would have to be right off the boil for us to win.

Whats this again s**t ? You did not allow us that luxury when you last beat us, we had lost rance a week before so our back line were all at see as they did not have time to adjust and lost jack and macintosh in the second quarter....you blokes did not factor that into the "smashing" and I wont be factoring your loss of some plodders either.

The pies are deserving of a right royal smacking.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Whats this again s**t ? You did not allow us that luxury when you last beat us, we had lost rance a week before so our back line were all at see as they did not have time to adjust and lost jack and macintosh in the second quarter....you blokes did not factor that into the "smashing" and I wont be factoring your loss of some plodders either.

The pies are deserving of a right royal smacking.
If it was just Darcy Moore you'd have a point. It's a lot worse than that and you know it. Greenwood, Aish, Thomas, Mayne, Beams, Langdon, Reid (who was playing very good footy before his calf went on him), Stephenson, Dunn, Wells (kicked three in a quarter and a half before impact to his knee) Hopefully Elliott will be back but he has missed 8 weeks this season.. Cox is rumoured to be doubtful too. If we then go on to lose two players early in the game then we will be truly rooted. I hate the fact that it is happening again but we've been dealing with this for a decade. The Tigers had a rough run early but all of your boys are up and running now.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Only missing Moore and Stephenson and you can't count Stephenson
Jack Riewoldt spoke at length about how big a loss Langdon is to our backline on 360 two weeks ago. He said he is so underrated by many but at Richmond they put so much time into how to deal with him in the week leading up to the clash with the Pies. Greenwood has done an excellent job on Dusty on more than one occasion. Reid was in excellent form before doing his calf and would have been the perfect replacement for an out of form Cox. Cox always plays well against Richmond yet even he is in doubt. A fit and healthy Beams (6th in the Brownlow last year) would add heaps to our midfield, Aish and Mayne are key cogs in our team. All of those mentioned walk into our best 22. Reidy has gone past Coxy on form at the moment. Oh, and Elliott has played once in the past eight weeks. Adams played his first game in nine weeks last week.
And what do you mean we can't count Stevo? Suspension means you can't play and the list I provided are players who are not available to play. Are you saying if Dusty gets suspended in the prelim you are not allowed to bemoan his absence? Funny.

May 15, 2017
My Couch
AFL Club
Richmond
If it was just Darcy Moore you'd have a point. It's a lot worse than that and you know it. Greenwood, Aish, Thomas, Mayne, Beams, Langdon, Reid (who was playing very good footy before his calf went on him), Stephenson, Dunn, Wells (kicked three in a quarter and a half before impact to his knee) Hopefully Elliott will be back but he has missed 8 weeks this season.. Cox is rumoured to be doubtful too. If we then go on to lose two players early in the game then we will be truly rooted. I hate the fact that it is happening again but we've been dealing with this for a decade. The Tigers had a rough run early but all of your boys are up and running now.
So what you're saying is...

Pies have injuries?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Just because you wish something was true doesn't make it so. :rolleyes:

when you are missing players as good as cotch, rance, jack, nank, lambert for large chunks of the season come back and talk to us . your biggest out is darcy moore ffs

you are very close to full strength. dont tell us vfl players are huge outs lol

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Jack Riewoldt spoke at length about how big a loss Langdon is to our backline on 360 two weeks ago. He said he is so underrated by many but at Richmond they put so much time into how to deal with him in the week leading up to the clash with the Pies. Greenwood has done an excellent job on Dusty on more than one occasion. Reid was in excellent form before doing his calf and would have been the perfect replacement for an out of form Cox. Cox always plays well against Richmond yet even he is in doubt. A fit and healthy Beams (6th in the Brownlow last year) would add heaps to our midfield, Aish and Mayne are key cogs in our team. All of those mentioned walk into our best 22. Reidy has gone past Coxy on form at the moment. Oh, and Elliott has played once in the past eight weeks. Adams played his first game in nine weeks last week.
And what do you mean we can't count Stevo? Suspension means you can't play and the list I provided are players who are not available to play. Are you saying if Dusty gets suspended in the prelim you are not allowed to bemoan his absence? Funny.

yes if a player gets suspended for some dumb off field s**t that they got themselves into you can't count them in your excuses, same as when **** McGee got suspended for the T**ty pic we couldn't count him in our excuses

Poska

All Australian
Jul 10, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Just because you wish something was true doesn't make it so. :rolleyes:
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I consider your best 22 (all fit and firing) to look something like this:

FB: Langdon, Roughead, Maynard
HB: Howe, Moore, Crisp
C: Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Phillips
HF: de Goey, Mihocek, Stephenson
FF: Elliot, Cox, Brown
R: Grundy, Treloar, Adams
I: Sier, Beams, WHE, Thomas

That would mean from your best 22, you’re missing Beams, Moore, Stephenson and Langdon? Guys like Reid, Wells, Dunn, Murphy, Greenwood, Mayne, etc. are all depth players. Maybe Greenwood gets a gig to shut down Dusty, but from my understanding, the majority of your injured players aren’t best 22.

Your injuries would be like us missing Grimes (Langdon), Rance (Moore), Prestia (Beams) and Lambert (Stephenson). We’re missing Rance (Moore), Ross (Sier) and Nankervis (Grundy). I feel like we’re missing three best 22 players and you’re missing four. Your depth has been decimated though, but I think you’ve got adequate cover to replace those guys.

You have some injury concerns, but you’re not missing the likes of Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, de Goey, Crisp, Sidebottom, etc. so I definitely wouldn’t be using injuries as an excuse. You made the GF without Beams and Moore, Stephenson is a good player but he’s still only a second year player and Langdon is a loss, but Scharenberg is no mug.

What are your thoughts after I break it down like that?

Poska

All Australian
Jul 10, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So we are missing more of our best 22 and our depth (read 1st choice back ups) have been decimated - but injuries can’t be an excuse - ok got it.

I sense the fear of a defeat in your post - why else would you be trying to negate the clear evidence that we are decimated by injury.
Clearly a loss to a half strength Coll is keeping you up at night.
“Half strength”. I love it. You’re missing four best 22 players and are missing one more best 22 player than us.

Scharenberg is available to slot into defence for Langdon, Howe or Goldsack will cover Moore and Quaynor then makes up the numbers in defence. Sier has come in for Beams, who was hardly setting the world on fire. You’ve got three other small/medium forwards that kicked 40 odd goals last year + Elliot, so I’m not sure losing Stephenson is as catastrophic as you’re making it out to be. The way you guys overstate the extent of your injuries is hilarious. So dramatic. I would hate to see the meltdowns should Grundy, de Goey or Pendlebury go down. Fortunately the majority of your top ten players are very durable and are available this Friday.

For the record, I’m tipping Richmond, so no excuses here. I’ve seen firsthand this season how a good system and reasonable depth can cover a couple of injuries, so I’m not sure why your team can’t do the same on Friday night. We’ll be having to cover our injuries too.

Anyway, good luck. Should be a good battle between two teams who are both nearly at full strength.

chriso11

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond (WLLWWWWLWWWLLLWWWW)
We’ve had a strange year, a year of great development for many of our players through the opportunity’s created by injury and a year where we’ve held strong throughout the whole season to keep ourselves with a stiff come finals.

Don’t know if it was intentional, but I’m also hoping for a stiff come finals time :) Martin to riewoldt to lynch will suffice

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I despise Langdon because he seems to mark EVERYTHING when he plays us. Him and Cox. Not going to lie, I’m kinda glad he’s out from a Richmond’s perspective.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
dude we can see right through you.. youre trying to make it look like you are no chance because of injuries and then if you win you will say we bet you with a s**tload of injuries

the truth is your injuries are insignificant
Tgese fools even are considering Wells as being injured and counting him as an out, The bloke has only played 5 games and unlikely to play anymore but apparently he is a vital cog that would make their team better

can we include Polak

GN272

All Australian
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Jove de Tarragona (Castellers)
Spanish Tigers ….

I've been touring around Spain and came across this gem of deal -

BOOM - for about $12 (Aust) - you get 6 beers (Estrella - not to be sneezed at pretty fancy beer in Oz), 2 pizzas and 4 ice creams - just right for a Friday night game against the Pies (Ok it will be about lunchtime in Spain).

I doubt Woolies or Coles will be matching this any time soon … or to be found on OzBargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back