Position 2019 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's got one of the best HTA rates in the comp and was 10th for total hitouts.

He's not Gawn or Grundy but he's not average.

He attended the 4th most centre-bounces of any ruck in 2018 yet finished 20th for avg. hit outs per match.

Bog average ruckman.

Unless he's grown over the off-season I'd be looking elsewhere.

Thanks to gutsroy for linking this elsewhere.

Grundy out of the rehab group back into full training, aiming the play the last JLT game but will be playing in a scratch match against the vfl boys before that.

https://dreamteamtalk.com/?p=60746

9qJAF.jpg

Thanks to gutsroy for linking this elsewhere.

Grundy out of the rehab group back into full training, aiming the play the last JLT game but will be playing in a scratch match against the vfl boys before that.

https://dreamteamtalk.com/?p=60746

9qJAF.jpg
The only thing wrong with this picture is the key.

I threw mine away ages ago.

Gonna be hard for him to practice that in the fwd line:p

Also since when does Sauce know anything about ruck mastery. Most his hitouts go to the opposition lol
Hey, i’m happy to have Gawn as a POD

But i know ... as soon as he has 1 standout game in the JLT .... you’ll all collapse on your PS options and follow me ..... it’s depressing really

Hey, i’m happy to have Gawn as a POD

But i know ... as soon as he has 1 standout game in the JLT .... you’ll all collapse on your PS options and follow me ..... it’s depressing really

Still has 30% ownership you are hardly on ur own. Ofcourse we would all take him in a heartbeat but the risk of preuss affecting his scoring significantly at this stage very real.

Still has 30% ownership you are hardly on ur own. Ofcourse we would all take him in a heartbeat but the risk of preuss affecting his scoring significantly at this stage very real.
Aahhh poppycock ..... same said last year with Grundy and Cox :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aahhh poppycock ..... dame said last year with Grundy and Cox :rolleyes:

Check Grundy's 2017 scores from the games he played with Cox also in the side compared to games without him, it wasn't speculation that they didn't score well together, we had evidence from the games played in '17.

Cox hardly played in the ruck last year which allowed Grundy to flourish, Cox went from 16 hit outs a game down to 7.

Cox even lost his DPP this year, that's how little he played in the ruck.

Don't think we can say the same for Pruess, IF, he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t see Grundy backing up 130. Not just due to the Cox curse. Bucks has also said Grundy can’t keeping rucking that much. I’d say Cox may do a little more than last year. Same as Goody with Gawn. It’s not healthy for these guys to ruck a whole season with little assistance.

Was a huge jump in Grundy's average from about 90/95/98 in 2015/16/17. Coming into his prime but the 130 ave seems the outlier, specially off a late season finish and the toe setback.

Gawn's progression in the same period was more linear. 100/117/93(int.)/127. Would have Gawn over Grundy, except for the Preuss query.

I can’t see Grundy backing up 130. Not just due to the Cox curse. Bucks has also said Grundy can’t keeping rucking that much. I’d say Cox may do a little more than last year. Same as Goody with Gawn. It’s not healthy for these guys to ruck a whole season with little assistance.
Roughead to chop out as well.

I really can’t see myself coughing up 700k for a ruckman who isn’t named Dean Cox.

I think I’ll go McEvoy/Goldy along with Westhoff, then swing Westhoff forward when there’s more clarity around Gawn and Preuss.
Dean Cox :eggplant::sweatdrops:

I really can’t see myself coughing up 700k for a ruckman who isn’t named Dean Cox.

I think I’ll go McEvoy/Goldy along with Westhoff, then swing Westhoff forward when there’s more clarity around Gawn and Preuss.

For a 122 average at BEST in his career that comment is very uneducated.

I take it you don't watch much footy apart from Bulldogs games?

Grundy an Gawn are both worth every cent and are that expensive for a reason and unless injury hits ( which no player is immune from ) i cannot see them dropping that much in price and trying to get them in even if they stay the same $$ wise or maybe drop 20-30k is still pretty difficult and will take 2 trades at least and maybe more with the 2 trade limit a week as you try to free up the cash for the next week, which also can be made even harder as other under performing players / injuries or suspensions become more of a priority for your team.

I had this problem last season with Lloyd and tried the whole back half of the season to get him in as he killed me every week in H2H league games but i just never seemed to be able get him in as other things were more important as the season wore on and trades were getting to low to afford a luxury trade of a bloke playing every week in my backline and averaging say mid to high 90's with the odd 100+ at 500k for Lloyd who was pumping out 130+ scores every week and killing me at 600k+ with constant 140+ scores.

Unless you start with Gawn and Grundy they will take mountains of work to get in if they maintain anywhere near close to what they are priced at and while they may drop a little at some stage i do not see massive 150k discounts like some are suggesting unless they cop injury riddled 30 type scores from 1 Qtr. It is well and good to say i will target them later but good luck actually doing it as other areas of the team become more important as players get injured or miss time for whatever reasons and rookies are needed to be moved on and brought in while some other spuds ( which everyone seems to pick every season including me ) just plain under perform.

Last edited:
For a 122 average at BEST in his career that comment is very uneducated.

I take it you don't watch much footy apart from Bulldogs games?

Grundy an Gawn are both worth every cent and are that expensive for a reason and unless injury hits ( which no player is immune from ) i cannot see them dropping that much in price and trying to get them in even if they stay the same $$ wise or maybe drop 20-30k is still pretty difficult and will take 2 trades at least and maybe more with the 2 trade limit a week as you try to free up the cash for the next week, which also can be made even harder as other under performing players / injuries or suspensions become more of a priority for your team.

I had this problem last season with Lloyd and tried the whole back half of the season to get him in as he killed me every week in H2H league games but i just never seemed to be able get him in as other things were more important as the season wore on and trades were getting to low to afford a luxury trade of a bloke playing every week in my backline and averaging say mid to high 90's with the odd 100+ at 500k for Lloyd who was pumping out 130+ scores every week and killing me at 600k+ with constant 140+ scores.

Unless you start with Gawn and Grundy they will take mountains of work to get in if they maintain anywhere near close to what they are priced at and while they may drop a little at some stage i do not see massive 150k discounts like some are suggesting unless they cop injury riddled 30 type scores from 1 Qtr. It is well and good to say i will target them later but good luck actually doing it as other areas of the team become more important as players get injured or miss time for whatever reasons and rookies are needed to be moved on and brought in while some other spuds ( which everyone seems to pick every season including me ) just plain under perform.

I think you're a little too excited by these guys, personally I have Gawn/Grundy as my current rucks as they are clearly the best of the lot.
However, there are serious question marks on both guys coming into this pre-season.

Grundy has had a toe injury which kept him out of action for 3 weeks, he already started the pre-season later as Collingwood were in the GF.
While that isn't a huge issue, he's also only had 1 season (last year) averaging over 100.

So you're spending absolute top dollar for a guy with 1 premo year, plus the potential for Cox to get more involved with Rucks and they traded in another ruckman as well, so there is concern.

Gawn appears to be fine physically and should be OK, but Preuss is a huge concern, and even seeing comments about him spending more time fwd will impact.

I'm holding for now, but I'm not throwing away the key, I think it would be reasonable to pick 1 and go cheaper for R2.

Fun fact. Cox's best season average was 122 in 2011. The next year he was the 4th best ruck with an average of 112.

SC's scoring system changes a bit every year, especially for the rucks lately, it's been a while since Cox has played.
If he was getting +5 every time he put it down a mids throat I reckon his fantasy numbers would look better than Grundy's and Gawn's.

SC's scoring system changes a bit every year, especially for the rucks lately, it's been a while since Cox has played.
If he was getting +5 every time he put it down a mids throat I reckon his fantasy numbers would look better than Grundy's and Gawn's.
This^

Rucks are the new hipster Mids.

Plus I think a comment like "I'm not paying 700k for a ruck unless it's Dean Cox" is more throwaway, rather than meant as a meaningful review of Cox's scoring history...

Anyway with regards to scoring history of rucks and the volatility - much easier for a 2nd ruck to interfere with scores than it is bringing another midfielder into a team - I'd be very surprised if anyone can settle on their ruck duo until we've seen JLT form. And if Gawn especially doesn't play, we're all ****ed. But it seems like he is going to be used more sparingly this year, and that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back