Position 2019 rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Thoughts on ruck strategy?

Grundy and Gawn are far too expensive and both have question marks on them to start with, Grundy is just returning from a foot/toe issue and Gawn has Preuss perhaps? At that price they'd have to be 110+ every week and I can't justify forking it out on both (only just one of them).

I seem to screw up my ruck selections every year and just want to have the best two ruckman for the season at R1-2 but it's a lottery at season's start so I think I'm leaning towards a midpricer at R2 to start with then judge the field for the first two months while said midpricers moos

Naismith, Longer and Clarke could be great, maybe Mummy even if we could get away with him on the pine for the first 2 weeks, though Longer seems the most likely to get a round 1 gig.

Goldy could also be an option as he's a clear number one now without Preuss, but does he have a 105+ year in him again? I'm not sure he does.

Longer apparently averaged 70+ when used as the solo ruckman in the past. I don't see that St.Kilda have any other options hence I see him in the same light i did last year with Lycett. Get reasonable scores, make some cash and then upgrade once we know who our R2 should be.
I'm starting with Grundy albeit at his price.

Grundy and English.

Maybe.
All depends on Trengove and his role with English, but Boyd is miles off with a bad back, so English could be an option, but I feel at his price you won't get many rises from him

Feel Longer/Naismith/Clarke are the money makers here should they get ruck time. Mummy would've been great had his coke video not gotten out

I think we'll see Gawn's popularity rise as his and Preuss's setups clarify over the JLT series

Personally, I think Melbourne will still go on with the solo ruck setup, and Gawn could end up as a POD if everyone plumps for Grundy

I think we'll see Gawn's popularity rise as his and Preuss's setups clarify over the JLT series

Personally, I think Melbourne will still go on with the solo ruck setup, and Gawn could end up as a POD if everyone plumps for Grundy
Demons are paying Preuss 500K a season. I just don't see how they can justify that if they are not going to play him in the 1's, especially when Max Gawn has only just turned 27. Preuss turns 24 this year. I think Preuss gets a spot in their best 22, and is a genuine option priced at $336K.

Feel Longer/Naismith/Clarke are the money makers here should they get ruck time. Mummy would've been great had his coke video not gotten out
Naismith is one that I think would be a great option, but reading on the Swans board it seemed like he was a bit behind in his pre-season training, and Sinclair may get the number 1 ruck spot.
As for structure, Mumford on the bench would be a realistic option if you took a budget option at R2 for the first 2 rounds. Could really pay off with both making money in the first half of the year. Mumford has the scoring history to suggest it could be worth the risk.
Also, two to watch as genuine options, at least for R3 are Darcy Fort at Geelong and Riley O'Brien for the Crows. Both could easily cement the number 1 ruck spot at their clubs.
A couple of reasons why I think the Ruck line is a great point of difference to kick off this year.

Naismith is one that I think would be a great option, but reading on the Swans board it seemed like he was a bit behind in his pre-season training, and Sinclair may get the number 1 ruck spot.
As for structure, Mumford on the bench would be a realistic option if you took a budget option at R2 for the first 2 rounds. Could really pay off with both making money in the first half of the year. Mumford has the scoring history to suggest it could be worth the risk.
Also, two to watch as genuine options, at least for R3 are Darcy Fort at Geelong and Riley O'Brien for the Crows. Both could easily cement the number 1 ruck spot at their clubs.
A couple of reasons why I think the Ruck line is a great point of difference to kick off this year.
If someone cheap (rookie priced) played the first few weeks I'd definitely sit Mummy on the pine considering he could almost double his price due to inflation and a ton or two at the right time, plus not a lot would take him due to him not starting the season

Other option with Mummy is pick a Longer type, hope he makes a little money, then one trade to Mummy after 2-3 price rises from Longer.

If someone cheap (rookie priced) played the first few weeks I'd definitely sit Mummy on the pine considering he could almost double his price due to inflation and a ton or two at the right time, plus not a lot would take him due to him not starting the season

Other option with Mummy is pick a Longer type, hope he makes a little money, then one trade to Mummy after 2-3 price rises from Longer.
I'm not getting too excited about Mummy. After 12 months out of the game and at his age, I don't feel he will get back to where he was in 2017.
I'd be surprised if he goes much more over 70.
Even if he did get to 80, he would still need to be upgraded. To go Longer to Mummy to your final premium takes one trade more than it should.

I think ive settled on my ruck structure now. Grundy, Fort and Bines with Westhoff at F2. Grabbing Bines allows me to utilise both the captain loophole and bench loophole as Fort often plays before Westhoff and Bines. I don't think Westhoff will average as much as last season but if he drops off by 5-10 points i should be able to make that back by strategic use of loopholes.

I also like the fact that i can wait a bit for the 2nd best ruck in the comp to present itself and instead of picking a R2 that i dont deem value (i.e don't think they will average more than they did last season) i have the option to wait and try and pick up that 2nd ruck at a discounted price. The cash from dropping Goldy to Bines allowed me upgrade Libba to Beams. The other part of the equation is the fact that i dont really like anyone as a F2, maybe Dunkley, but i'm not set on him. This way, i can either bat 5 deep in the forwards and use Fort at R2 or i can choose to bat 4 deep and take scores from 2 rookie forwards instead of Fort's score.

Out of the first 4 rounds, Fort plays 3 games prior to Westhoff, Bines and at least 1 rookie forward which means i can use the bench loophole for 3 out of the first 4 rounds. After that, until round 8 Fort plays after at least 1 of Westhoff/Bines so i wont be able to use the bench loophole but can still use Bines as a captaincy loophole. After the first 4 rounds ill have a decent sample size to work out whether i play Westhoff at F2 or R2 and thus whether i play Fort or a forward rookie.

I think ive settled on my ruck structure now. Grundy, Fort and Bines with Westhoff at F2. Grabbing Bines allows me to utilise both the captain loophole and bench loophole as Fort often plays before Westhoff and Bines. I don't think Westhoff will average as much as last season but if he drops off by 5-10 points i should be able to make that back by strategic use of loopholes.

I also like the fact that i can wait a bit for the 2nd best ruck in the comp to present itself and instead of picking a R2 that i dont deem value (i.e don't think they will average more than they did last season) i have the option to wait and try and pick up that 2nd ruck at a discounted price. The cash from dropping Goldy to Bines allowed me upgrade Libba to Beams. The other part of the equation is the fact that i dont really like anyone as a F2, maybe Dunkley, but i'm not set on him. This way, i can either bat 5 deep in the forwards and use Fort at R2 or i can choose to bat 4 deep and take scores from 2 rookie forwards instead of Fort's score.

Out of the first 4 rounds, Fort plays 3 games prior to Westhoff, Bines and at least 1 rookie forward which means i can use the bench loophole for 3 out of the first 4 rounds. After that, until round 8 Fort plays after at least 1 of Westhoff/Bines so i wont be able to use the bench loophole but can still use Bines as a captaincy loophole. After the first 4 rounds ill have a decent sample size to work out whether i play Westhoff at F2 or R2 and thus whether i play Fort or a forward rookie.
This is the very reason why I hate this bloody rolling lockout. I don't want to be spending all weekend working around loopholes.

This is the very reason why I hate this bloody rolling lockout. I don't want to be spending all weekend working around loopholes.
If you can't beat them, join them. I still agree with your sentiment though. Originally i planned to avoid using loopholes and just pick best team i could but its available and i don't actually have enough money free to get a playing 30th player (unless another bottom priced rookie looks like getting games). Thus, it makes a lot of sense to use it.

I'm not going to worry about loopholes until I have rookies not playing. I'm going with 30 starting players and will only loophole if the opportunity arises. If not I'm not worried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can't beat them, join them. I still agree with your sentiment though. Originally i planned to avoid using loopholes and just pick best team i could but its available and i don't actually have enough money free to get a playing 30th player (unless another bottom priced rookie looks like getting games). Thus, it makes a lot of sense to use it.
Keeping in mind that your whole strategy revolves around Fort getting game time. I'm not 100% sold on that yet.

if I'm picking a top priced premium who I think won't match last years average, id prefer it to be Gawn than Hoff. Then instead of a non playing rookie I can pick an extra money making rookie up forward

Longer to miss rd 1 has really unsettled my team as I was satisfied taking him and investing elsewhere.

Longer likely to miss
Pierce will replace Longer, but cant be confident on it being for long enough
Naismith likely to miss
Mummy missing 1st 2 weeks

Really leaves Clarke as the only real cheap option and not sure you could back him in at R2 even if named, unless a Fort type was also named and your more confident in the risk that 1 of the 2 has to pay off and play/score enough.

Then there's English but it sounds to me like he will be forward too much rather than leading the ruck and therefore I cant see enough scoring upside

Kruez you just couldn't do it now.

Then your looking at guys who aren't cheap enough to be cows but not likely to be close enough to top 2. Sauce potential value, then the tier down from the top in Goldy, Witts, etc

Looking more and more likely to just have to restructure and pay up for Gawn

I'm surprised anyone was considering Longer tbh.

Just a spud
i think anyone playing as a leading sole number 1 ruck should ave around 70, which he has done in the past. That for 6-8 weeks made him a good option given most peoples planned season end R2 in Gawn people expected to drop. If gawn dropped 5ppg and longer averaged 70s in that time that's a massive win

I've now put in Gawn and will see if any other options bob up

i think anyone playing as a leading sole number 1 ruck should ave around 70, which he has done in the past. That for 6-8 weeks made him a good option given most peoples planned season end R2 in Gawn people expected to drop. If gawn dropped 5ppg and longer averaged 70s in that time that's a massive win

I've now put in Gawn and will see if any other options bob up

In the 3 seasons he's played double digit games, he's averaged 65, 68 & 78. Every other season has been less than that.

Surely if your spending 285k you can find a better option on another line.

In the 3 seasons he's played double digit games, he's averaged 65, 68 & 78. Every other season has been less than that.

Surely if your spending 285k you can find a better option on another line.
other lines also have other more expensive options im more confident on.

Now I have Gawn but I can confidently say I can find a better option elsewhere (one who is cheaper and will score as well) and if he was a midfielder I wouldn't be selecting him.

And likewise if longer was a mid he'd be not in consideration but in relation to other options in his line I was happy to take him and bolster elsewhere

all moot now though

other lines also have other more expensive options im more confident on.

Now I have Gawn but I can confidently say I can find a better option elsewhere (one who is cheaper and will score as well) and if he was a midfielder I wouldn't be selecting him.

And likewise if longer was a mid he'd be not in consideration but in relation to other options in his line I was happy to take him and bolster elsewhere

all moot now though
Like you, I had Longer as my R2. Read a post about him on Coaches Panel and they suggested that he averaged over 70 when played as the sole ruck which I think he would have done this year. At his price a 70 average would have done nicely before the upgrade. Have gone to set and forget now (I hope) with Grundy and Goldy.

Like you, I had Longer as my R2. Read a post about him on Coaches Panel and they suggested that he averaged over 70 when played as the sole ruck which I think he would have done this year. At his price a 70 average would have done nicely before the upgrade. Have gone to set and forget now (I hope) with Grundy and Goldy.
Goldstein is an interesting one. Ill be considering him as an option if it looks like Preuss plays and affects Gawn enough. If Gawn is named 1 out then I think id rather pay up.

Jacobs could be the one for value with a view to trading him to Gawn at some point (Jacobs increase by 15, Gawn reduce by 5-10 and you've got a worthwhile 20-25 benefit) but im just not sold on it. If Jacobs was 50k cheaper then I would. Jacobs plays like he did last year and he will get dropped at some point and id expect some resting at some point even if he goes well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back