News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

WaynesWorld19

TheBrownDog
Nov 6, 2003
Baghdad
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide, Baghdad Bombers
Heard through my source that Crows looking to trade pick 4 for picks 7 and 10 (Freo) or with Geelong (14 amd 17 along with something else)...

Shiver me timbers....:oops:
Understand & support trading #4 for two x first round

But why would Freo do that deal ....makes no sense ...they want Henry and maybe Jackson ? ...Understand that scenario if Henry gets a bid by Crows or Syd ....but is that realistic ?

Could see
Freo #7 & #10 to the Crows for #4
Crows #7 to Geel for #14 & #17
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary
Crows #4 becomes #10 & #14
Geel #14 & #17 becomes #7
Freo #7 & #10 becomes #4 and #17

Good for Adel & Geel .....not sure still the benefit to Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crow_68

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

But why would Freo do that deal ....makes no sense ...they want Henry and maybe Jackson ? ...Understand that scenario if Henry gets a bid by Crows or Syd ....but is that realistic ?

Could see
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary

Unlikely Freo would entertain trading 7 or 10 until a bid for Henry comes in.

Only exception may be they are targeting Jackson and think he may be taken by Sydney at 5.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

feenix67

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Poulos leaving the Crows was not the cause of the Hamstrings and soft tissue issues. what effected them was Burton meddling in the medical side and eqaully important his failure to get somone who understood how the Kangatech and NordBoard technoglies worked.
Re Poulos the question that is disputed is did he have a top job with international exposure, line up up before or after leaving the Crows.
I can categorically tell you he was committed to the Crows before they demoted him by appointing Burton, and that he doesn't have a lot of time for the administration who did it.

ad victoriam

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I can categorically tell you he was committed to the Crows before they demoted him by appointing Burton, and that he doesn't have a lot of time for the administration who did it.
Re Poulas To be honest I heard that many differant stories from poeple who all mention they are in the know I will stick to the middle ground on this one.
But one I am lead to believe is the Postion Burton took was differant to the one Pouplos had the previous year, they combined the the Fitness and Medical dept under one person pervious to that they had 2 seperate departments.
My view is The idea was sound, but the wrong person was selected to lead,

feenix67

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Re Poulas To be honest I heard that many differant stories from poeple who all mention they are in the know I will stick to the middle ground on this one.
But one I am lead to believe is the Postion Burton took was differant to the one Pouplos had the previous year, they combined the the Fitness and Medical dept under one person pervious to that they had 2 seperate departments.
My view is The idea was sound, but the wrong person was selected to lead,
I reached out to Nick last year in an effort to get him on the podcast. We shared a bit over DMs but he didn't want to come on, for obvious reasons. I'm comfortable that he was being genuine, he was with the 7's by then.

Edit, sorry, the year before, god time flies!

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Could see
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary

I think I'd rather trade 4 for 6 and GWS 2020/1

Cap

Hall of Famer
Jul 27, 2004
*cough*
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Could see
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary

We paid 19 and 8 for 4.

Giving it up for 10 and 14 seems cheap?

Surely we'd be looking to bring 23 in closer to a first or get 10 lower?

James_37

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
We paid 19 and 8 for 4.

Agreed, can’t see us dropping outof the single digits if split.

WRT splitting with Freo, the reason they may accept 4 for 7 and 10 would be they’re chasing Jackson and/or a bid is coming on Henry before pick 10.

We’d likely be giving up one of 23/28 as well.

Personally if we could somehow get away with 4+28 for 7+10 with perhaps later swaps, I’d be pretty rapt.

Feel that probably gets us 1 of Ash/Flanders/Kemp/Serong plus one of Stephens/McAsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

Could see
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary

I think it makes pretty obvious sense why they'd do it.

It would be if they were reasonably sure a bid is coming for Henry at 8 or 9. If they believe they'll have to use pick 10 on a match for Henry, then they would want to maximise 7. Going up to 4 guarantees they get Jackson, who could certainly be selected before 7.

If they can guarantee they get Jackson and Henry from their first two picks, that is a pretty good outcome.

We'd also give them 23, which is 815 of the 1150 points they need for a Henry bid at 9.

Of course, they may also decide to just roll the dice and see what happens. Have a trade down option at 10, in case a bid comes and just get best available at 7.

glengowan

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
Say to GWS we’ll bid on Green at 4. Trade 4 for 6 and Future 1st.

Say to Freo we’ll bid on Henry at 6.
Trade 6 & 45 for 10 & 22.

Turn 4 & 45 into 10, 22 and Future 1st.
GWS get pick 4 plus Green.
Freo get pick 6, 7 plus Henry.

Pick 10 gets 12th best player in draft. Maybe Robertson or McCasey.

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Sox ~ Sturt FC ~ Mitcham Hawks

Would rather take the 4th-6th player in the draft tbh.

FR0GGY

Press the button
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

So turning 4 and 45 into 10, 22 and GWS future 1st?
No thanks

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
But but but Rowey said he was a lock......

I think they'll get someone, who that is o have no idea. Glenelg were quite concerned Stone was going early days though.

My guess would be Nicks might want someone he's had a relationship within football before.
I can’t see why we even need one now. The list is set apart from Haggis in draft day, coaches are either locked in or about to be employed anyway. Coaches set the game plan etc, fitness dept is set and Harper‘s dept ensures they get to the games on time with their kit. If we’re going to settle, we can do that next year. Not settling this year will have no meaningful impact on future flag chances.

hey shorty

Hall of Famer
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I can’t see why we even need one now. The list is set apart from Haggis in draft day, coaches are either locked in or about to be employed anyway. Coaches set the game plan etc, fitness dept is set and Harper‘s dept ensures they get to the games on time with their kit. If we’re going to settle, we can do that next year. Not settling this year will have no meaningful impact on future flag chances.
I agree, but if Nicks wants a guy we need to get them

We don't want to go down the path of not giving another coach who they want.

If he thinks we're ok then that's fine.

Crow till I die

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would be happy with 7 and 10 personally.

It's so hard splitting individuals from 4 to 10 that this is the best year to split back to two top 10's imo.

Would be dump truck full of pig shit time if we traded 4 for 14 and 17
Would have to also get geelongs 2020 1st as well and maybe we give back the bulldogs 2020 2nd or a 2020 3rd rounder

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree, but if Nicks wants a guy we need to get them

We don't want to go down the path of not giving another coach who they want.

If he thinks we're ok then that's fine.
I think Nicks should get what he wants in terms of his coaching group, but GM of Footy should be outside of his influence. We shouldn’t be asking him if he’s ok with Neil Balme coming over. If he won’t work under a Neil Balme led footy dept, then he can find another job. Hypothetical and extreme example of course and I know that we’re a bit gun shy after the Burton debacle, but we need to be careful that we don’t go too far in the other direction.

hey shorty

Hall of Famer
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think Nicks should get what he wants in terms of his coaching group, but GM of Footy should be outside of his influence. We shouldn’t be asking him if he’s ok with Neil Balme coming over. If he won’t work under a Neil Balme led footy dept, then he can find another job. Hypothetical and extreme example of course and I know that we’re a bit gun shy after the Burton debacle, but we need to be careful that we don’t go too far in the other direction.
I think the GM has been found.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Could see
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary

This really only works for Geelong

GrommoT

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We paid 19 and 8 for 4.

Things change.

It's been a while since we made the trade last year when might have have had a shot at a very low digit pick and top potential draftee. Since then bLoos didn't do too badly, GC got #2 as a PP and draft candidates seem a bit even after the top 3.

If Hamish & co think we're better off (for where we're at now) reversing that trade somewhat, then insisting on sticking with #4 just because of what we've paid for it would just be stubborn.

Crow till I die

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Things change.

It's been a while since we made the trade last year when might have have had a shot at a very low digit pick and top potential draftee. Since then bLoos didn't do too badly, GC got #2 as a PP and draft candidates seem a bit even after the top 3.

If Hamish & co think we're better off (for where we're at now) reversing that trade somewhat, then insisting on sticking with #4 just because of what we've paid for it would just be stubborn.
You should never look to move backwards but only forwards. By this I mean that any deal for pick 4 HAS to be be better than the equivalent of picks 9 & 19. I don't mind if we trade back down but if Geelong say were interested, then they have to pay a kings ransom for it - 14, 17 and 2020 1st with maybe a later pick (ie 2020 3rd) going back otherwise it just does not seem worthwile. If it was 4 & 28 for freo's 7 & 10, then I'd consider that as we will still get a similar player at 7 and get another good one at 10

Top Bottom