News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
If we really wanted that 2020 1st from them and melbourne have passed on bidding on green on the night then before we name green as a bid could we not swap pick 4 for 6 and their 2020 1st and maybe we give them a 2020 2nd (bulldogs not ours) or 2020 3rd back to help offset the big points loss they will take. Really it should be almost a no brainer from their end unless they think they will get a better player with their late 1st they will likely get next year than a top 4 pick this year. And that is not likely to be the case. Therefore why waste resources trading back down just to save a 2020 1st rounder when they can get 2 x top 5 rated kids now.
Why are we helping them get 2 top 5 picks?? We should be asking for 6 2020 1st and pick 40 as a starting point, give us what we want or they have to use pick 6 and extra to get Green, they just played in a grandfinal we shouldn't be helping them at all... I'd ask for 3 firsts if we could.

They stuffed up trading for 6 which was worth less points, they new an early bid was likely particulary from us. Pay a randsom or cop it on the chin.

tinman

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
Why would Freo be interested at all in trading up? I just can't see it unless it's for pick 3 which gives them carte blanche to select any player other than the big 2 and Green and still get their Academy guy Henry via points even if they go into deficit anyhow? Or am I reading it all wrong? 7 and 10 gets them their Academy guy Liam Henry and another prospective top liner anyhow.....only other WA player likely to go in the top 10 is Luke Jackson even though there is some real quality from WA in this particular draft, better than SA in this draft IMO.
I can see Deven Robertson going earlier than many predict. Hasn't done a lot wrong and looks class.

If we hold our current hand he's too early for our first selection and won't make it to our second. But if picks change hands I'd be delighted to see him at the Crows.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's easy to say that if talent was rated on a static list everyone picks from. If you rate a player as the best player available on your list, but you know you can move down and still get him and improve later picks, why wouldn't you do that?
I just think just stop trying to be so smart and take the pick.

The cynic in me still says people (including Hamish) trade down to take the pressure off themselves. They can effectively take more of a gamble and if it works, they say exactly what you've just said. If it doesn't, well, it's a lower pick anyway so you can't expect too much.

Prove me wrong Hamish, take the pick.

If he genuinely believes the 4th best talent exists at a later pick and that he is certain we will get him, then sure, do the trade. However this pick will come with the greatest expectation this club has seen regardless of where it ultimately ends up. The AFC fans will be expecting the player picked to be one of the top 4 players to come out of this draft regardless of whether it's 7 or 10 etc.

We cannot get this wrong.

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I just think just stop trying to be so smart and take the pick.

The cynic in me still says people (including Hamish) trade down to take the pressure off themselves. They can effectively take more of a gamble and if it works, they say exactly what you've just said. If it doesn't, well, it's a lower pick anyway so you can't expect too much.

Prove me wrong Hamish, take the pick.

If he genuinely believes the 4th best talent exists at a later pick and that he is certain we will get him, then sure, do the trade. However this pick will come with the greatest expectation this club has seen regardless of where it ultimately ends up. The AFC fans will be expecting the player picked to be one of the top 4 players to come out of this draft regardless of whether it's 7 or 10 etc.

We cannot get this wrong.
All reports are that outside the top 2 there's no real set order after that. That is likely going to cause a lot of different talent lists between the teams, which is going to have guys higher on some lists and lower on others and give plenty of scope for teams to move up/down to get who they want.

Even if we moved down to 6/7/10 it's still a high pick that'll have expectations on them.

Drewie11

Premium Gold
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The only swap Adelaide should be doing with 4 is with Fremantle.

If we could swap 4 & 45 7 & 10 then that’s the only option I think we should do. I just can’t see Fremantle doing it. They will get a player before Carlton bid on Henry. Unless they really want Jackson and they know someone will take him before 7 rolls around.

The swap for 6 and GWS future first (likely 15ish) is a horrible trade

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The only swap Adelaide should be doing with 4 is with Fremantle.

If we could swap 4 & 45 7 & 10 then that’s the only option I think we should do. I just can’t see Fremantle doing it. They will get a player before Carlton bid on Henry. Unless they really want Jackson and they know someone will take him before 7 rolls around.

The swap for 6 and GWS future first (likely 15ish) is a horrible trade
That doesn't really make sense.

Any trade where you can get the player you want AND an additional asset is worth doing.

If we do want Stephens, say, it would be insanity taking him at 4 when the earliest he's projected to go is 7 to Freo.

Move to 6, grab the extra first and make it part of the package for Luko or, ironically, Hately.

ams4crows

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
People are quick to jump to "that's a bad trade" before the whole thing has panned out,
If someone said move 2 places down but the pick you get next year means you have currency to trade for Luko.
Or GWS have a Melbourne like season and crash to the bottom and it ends up being a a Top 5 pick, everyone assumes they'll be good again we've seen what happens to teams who get rmbarrassed in the GF.

People want to judge straight away but we can't do it, if it involves a pick next year.

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was told yesterday from a friend of campos brother that Camporeale had his contract renewed for a further 2 years just before the review. WTF
Any idea how long before?

There have been others who mentioned he had his contract renewed and that’s why he had a payout.

If it was just during the season that’s not as bad as just before the review, it would show how clueless our management really is.

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I was told yesterday from a friend of campos brother that Camporeale had his contract renewed for a further 2 years just before the review. WTF
Not a surprise TBH, Chapman LOVES Campo, if it wasn't for the external review and the rest of the board getting to hear Dunstall's presentation he would have been backed in again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drewie11

Premium Gold
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
That doesn't really make sense.

Any trade where you can get the player you want AND an additional asset is worth doing.

If we do want Stephens, say, it would be insanity taking him at 4 when the earliest he's projected to go is 7 to Freo.

Move to 6, grab the extra first and make it part of the package for Luko or, ironically, Hately.
We should have just kept 8 and 19 then.

I would rather trade 8, 19 and 45 for 7 and 10 compared to 8 and 19 for 6 and 15ish

Drewie11

Premium Gold
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
People are quick to jump to "that's a bad trade" before the whole thing has panned out,
If someone said move 2 places down but the pick you get next year means you have currency to trade for Luko.
Or GWS have a Melbourne like season and crash to the bottom and it ends up being a a Top 5 pick, everyone assumes they'll be good again we've seen what happens to teams who get rmbarrassed in the GF.

People want to judge straight away but we can't do it, if it involves a pick next year.
And what if Lukosious signs in June for3 years and GWS win the flag. You’d be happy with that outcome?

I would rather go for what we have unless we get 2 top 12 picks for 4. If we have a top 5 pick next year like people think we have and Lukosious doesn’t sign then that’s a long way to getting the deal done anyway.

Mego Red

Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

I would rather trade 8, 19 and 45 for 7 and 10 compared to 8 and 19 for 6 and 15ish
We never had both 8 and 19.

We had 19 and we had the opportunity to flip picks. 19 gave us the opportunity to benefit from Carlton's rebuild.

Besides the fact nobody saw us being as bad as 8 - 19 and 8 still wouldn't get you pick 4.

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide

I wouldn’t get bogged down with the numbers. We’ll only trade down if we think we’re overpaying for our guy at the original pick or if we think there’s little difference in a group from our pick. It will need another club who sees it the opposite to us as well, otherwise why would they trade up.

Footypie32

especias secreto
Sep 5, 2011
Nestled in Suzie Wilks' rack
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Mt Buller Demons
Starting to put the pieces together on this offseason...

I believe Chapman, Roo, Burton et al went to Fagan saying they wanted Pyke gone, he's the problem. Fagan said he thought the problems ran deeper.
The boys club stuck their heels in. Fagan then countered, saying he would agree to part with Pyke if the Boys Club agreed to an external review of the Footy department and implemented the suggested outcomes. The Boys Club said there was no need, Pyke is the whole problem. Fagan responded that if they were so sure, the review would support their position. They finally agreed.
Chapman goes around slapping backs, handing out new contracts. Sacks Pyke.
But then the results of the review come in...

Fagan holds the Boys Club to their word...

Apologies if this is already common knowledge, just trying to get my head around it.

Drewie11

Premium Gold
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We never had both 8 and 19.

We had 19 and we had the opportunity to flip picks. 19 gave us the opportunity to benefit from Carlton's rebuild.

Besides the fact nobody saw us being as bad as 8 - 19 and 8 still wouldn't get you pick 4.
Not sure what any of this has to do with the 2 trade scenarios I mentioned. We had 19 and we would have had 8 this year so we did or would of had both. I get you think a trade for 6 and GWS next year is a good idea I just think it’s a shit trade and wouldn’t do it

TryAnHit

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
4 for 6 + 20201st from gws seems the only trade we would do.

Still get one of the top 6 who all seems evenish or stephens
And you never know with gws next year... look what happend to us after a GF.. sure gws have all the hype but they did finish 6th last year... that would be pick 12 if went out first final

jenny61_99

Premium Platinum
Feb 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not a surprise TBH, Chapman LOVES Campo, if it wasn't for the external review and the rest of the board getting to hear Dunstall's presentation he would have been backed in again.
What would be interesting to know is if Burton got an extension too? Campo has been there forever. And helped us through a tough time. They’d never consider that he was part of the problem.... until it became obvious that he was. All of a sudden players feel like they can bare their soul in the review feedback, paints a very different picture to what was being purveyed on the outside.

jenny61_99

Premium Platinum
Feb 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide

I believe Chapman, Roo, Burton et al went to Fagan saying they wanted Pyke gone, he's the problem. Fagan said he thought the problems ran deeper.
The boys club stuck their heels in. Fagan then countered, saying he would agree to part with Pyke if the Boys Club agreed to an external review of the Footy department and implemented the suggested outcomes. The Boys Club said there was no need, Pyke is the whole problem. Fagan responded that if they were so sure, the review would support their position. They finally agreed.

Apologies if this is already common knowledge, just trying to get my head around it.
In before this becomes “fact” in everyone’s mind in here.

Mego Red

Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Not sure what any of this has to do with the 2 trade scenarios I mentioned. We had 19 and we would have had 8 this year so we did or would of had both. I get you think a trade for 6 and GWS next year is a good idea I just think it’s a shit trade and wouldn’t do it
If Hamish REALLY wants Flanders, we should probably stay where we are. He could be there at six, but it's a gamble.

If he wants Stephens, then a move to six or seven makes sense, as we'll get another prime asset and the player we already wanted.

I wouldn't go lower than 7, because there's a big chance you'll miss the player you really want.

I just think it's silly to have a closed mind to it.

Mego Red

Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

How could this be "knowledge"?

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
What would be interesting to know is if Burton got an extension too? Campo has been there forever. And helped us through a tough time. They’d never consider that he was part of the problem.... until it became obvious that he was. All of a sudden players feel like they can bare their soul in the review feedback, paints a very different picture to what was being purveyed on the outside.
He probably would have. Based on what a players father told me, Chapman gets very close to people in the football department, I mean that in a relationship sense as people, not just sucking up to them or anything like that. So he has a big loyalty to people involved at the club, which at times makes him blind to their faults and want to back them in.

Top Bottom