News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Already pinning things on the new guy

Didn't 'want' a senior assistant... because we've spent all our money on payouts to sacked, long term contracted duds and are too late to get anyone he'd really want anyway so have to hold off for 12 months.

We presented the low shelf options to him and he decided he didn't want any of them.

Spin has survived the review.

How about admit we're going through a major, ongoing off field overhaul and that it will take more than 12 months to put the new team together

If we do that, we make the incumbents feel as though they are seat warmers. People need to feel that they are valued team members to operate at maximum level. If you felt that you had a year and then you were going to be turfed, would you put in maximum effort for that 12 months?

If we do that, we make the incumbents feel as though they are seat warmers. People need to feel that they are valued team members to operate at maximum level. If you felt that you had a year and then you were going to be turfed, would you put in maximum effort for that 12 months?
I think people value honesty

None of them have been promoted into the senior role as it is so they wouldn't view things any differently than they do now

You hit the nail on the head because the sceptic would think that there are no available people qualified for the position (due to the AFL requirement clubs contract their assistant coaches by the end of august) so it becomes a very convenient line for the club to take
Yet Skipworth left Essendon for Collingwood just this week

This is the investigation that still needs to occur. There is clearly a massive disconnect between the board and the employees. How is it even possible that the board is oblivious to the Campo and Burton situations. Not just oblivious but believing they were both doing a great job and quality recruits.
I would say the football director would be the major reason why the board didn't know wtf was going on. This is a direct result of what happens when a football director is allowed to employ their mates. This goes to the heart of the club's real problems. We need a new competent Chairman as a matter of urgency along with a new board. We also need a decent football director who is not in business with players and employees of the club.

"Nicks doesn't want a senior assistant" just means he didn't want any of the ones available.
I feel it will take 12 months to sort out the coaching structure nicks wants. We are not the most attractive club for assistant coaches currently but i feel under Nicks that should change within 12 months. I also feel Hart will be moved on next year once Nicks sees how clueless he is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already pinning things on the new guy

Didn't 'want' a senior assistant... because we've spent all our money on payouts to sacked, long term contracted duds and are too late to get anyone he'd really want anyway so have to hold off for 12 months.

We presented the low shelf options to him and he decided he didn't want any of them.

Spin has survived the review.

How about admit we're going through a major, ongoing off field overhaul and that it will take more than 12 months to put the new team together
You should be a journalist. The amount of s**t you make up and present as fact.

You should be a journalist. The amount of s**t you make up and present as fact.
The "fact" the club is selling us is that Nicks said No Thank You when asked if he'd like a quality right hand man.

The "fact" the club is selling us is that Nicks said No Thank You when asked if he'd like a quality right hand man.
No.. they said he wasn’t sure if he wanted one... and that’s fair enough. The rest you just do what you always do. Add 1+1 and end up with 142.

No.. they said he wasn’t sure if he wanted one... and that’s fair enough. The rest you just do what you always do. Add 1+1 and end up with 142.
What possible reason would he have not wanting a quality resource? Especially as a first timer?

There isn't a reason but enough of our fans swallow rubbish like this which is why the club feels it can keep selling it.

Roo says Nicks didn't want a senior assistant, wants to give the current guys more opportunity.

I don't mind that if it IS what Nicks wants.

Footy manager not far away and the People and Culture leader selected after that.
I actually love this decision from Nicks

IMO the Senior Asst Coach is an extral level in your coaching structure that contibutes to mixed messages and a lack of clarity on who actually has accountability and authority for decisions within the coaching structure.

A coaching structure that promotes and drives greater accountability with the line coaches with direct line responsibility back to the head coach can only be a good thing IMO

I would also suggest that Nicks own experience in being in the role of a Snr Asst has influenced his decision

I am super happy with this decision

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nope - Roo was pretty clear on radio. Didn’t want one. He even went further and said Nicks wanted less voices and to give more responsibility to his line coaches.

So the sell is not just the decision, but the carefully thought out rationale for the decision.

The fact is we’ve gone from:
Searching for a Snr assistant; to
He may not want one; to
He doesn’t want one and here are the reasons...

We haven’t been able to find or get who he wanted - so just say that.

Why make up such garbage

Roo says Nicks didn't want a senior assistant, wants to give the current guys more opportunity.

I don't mind that if it IS what Nicks wants.

Footy manager not far away and the People and Culture leader selected after that.
Believe it was mentioned in on air that Nicks was after more of a development role coach as the club was losing some senior players and he felt that was a need with our influx of youth comming on and into the side.

Just shows again how deluded we were with our view of the list this season. They were hoping like hell that we made the finals and then they could all say 'nothing to see here'. Luckily we bombed out and they had to call the review.

The list wasn’t the issue, the issue was the complete misread of cultural issues and the disconnect between coaches and players and even within the playing group.

Our list over the past 2 years should have had us top 4, especially with our good injurt list this year.

Our senior management ie Chapman, Roo and Fagan, clearly had no insight into the issues that were at play.

Make no mistake, we have pissed 2 prime “challenging” years down the drain and the fact it required an external review to highlight the issues reflects extremely poorly on Chapman, Roo and Fagan, who were clearly deluded in the their faith in Pyke, Burton and Campo, likely due to there being too much of a “matesy” culture between the 2 groups.

The worry as I see it, is that these very same key decision makers still haven’t come to terms or understand the heart of the issues and thus still aren’t making the right decisions.

Hopefully we minimum 2, potentially all 3 step down within 12 months and allow fresh bloodin to genuinely fix the joint up. If the board were answerable to the members that pay them, neither Roo nor Chapman would still be there I suspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back