News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m assuming it’s garbage by way of a fairly simple joining of dots on the sequence of events ....as I set them out.

We started out with the intention of seeking a senior assistant. Clearly whoever we wanted was not available. Now we’ve changed the narrative.

It may well work as you’ve suggested. Time will tell. But I would have preferred a simple statement that we can’t fill the position so we will go without and here are the benefits. That’s a whole of management position.

What they’ve done is make it Nicks’ call to not have one, which I personally don’t believe. So the Teflon for Roo, Chappy and Fagan remains.

They can’t say it is anyone but Nicks’ decision without causing a major issue amongst the supporters and media

Whoever’s idea it was, for whatever reason, post review, it literally has to be presented as Nicks’ idea

Ok, so explain why Matthew Nicks was a Senior Assistant Coach himself when he feels that they aren't necessary?

Perhaps he actually wants to see how competent his existing assistants are without the undue influence of a senior assistant. In addition, what Senior Assistant was available at this late hour?

It ain’t rocket science.

Facebook vote in Football boards?

Not one AFL club with full member voting has anywhere near a board full of ex players. Same goes with the SACA.

Members would get a list of all those seeking to sit on the board & unlikely they would select all ex players. More likely to get a better cross section than just putting 1/2 position up for nomination.

But this is Adelaide the city remember. Most of our supporter base are clueless.

Perhaps he actually wants to see how competent his existing assistants are without the undue influence of a senior assistant. In addition, what Senior Assistant was available at this late hour?

It ain’t rocket science.
So which is it? Didn't want one (as the club is saying) or no good ones available due to our poor timimg?

I suspect tbe latter and the club is bullshitting us with the former in their same, typical pre-review style

So which is it? Didn't want one (as the club is saying) or no good ones available due to our poor timimg?

I suspect tbe latter and the club is bullshitting us with the former in their same, typical pre-review style
It staggers me that people can’t see this. The club lies all the time as it tries to spin itself out of trouble. Now they’ve decided to buy it again?

If anyone thinks “less voices” wasn’t conceived by Shutts or management they are truly deluded.

Maybe after reading the review he feels in this instance that Campo made things worse within our structure? Maybe the players have told him they'd rather talk with him than a senior assistant coach? There could be a number of reasons - many of which don't involve incompetency or cover up. He might also want to see how he goes? Who knows? Honestly, I am at a loss as to why some of you continue to follow the Adelaide Crows such is the hate and loathing you have for the Club.

No apologising here, no sirree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It staggers me that people can’t see this. The club lies all the time as it tries to spin itself out of trouble. Now they’ve decided to buy it again?

If anyone thinks “less voices” wasn’t conceived by Shutts or management they are truly deluded.

No one looks for an assistant coach until preseason and then decide they don't want one. It's a big fat lie as per usual.

In saying though, I'm far happier to go in one coach down than have them appoint someone sub standard purely for pr.

Would've been a good move if not for the spin.

Last edited:

"Look, we looked around, and all the candidates who were available were a bit s**t, so we decided to just roll with nobody."

Here's what the club should have said:

"Since the departure of Scott Camporeale, we have conducted a far reaching search for the best candidate to fill our senior assistant position. However, after assessing the pool of options, we felt that no available candidate was suitable for the role.

We will reassess the situation at the conclusion of the 2020 season, and in keeping with our promise to supporters to have the best football department, we will be on the hunt for an outstanding candidate that fits the requirements of the role. In the meantime, as was the case in our 2017 season, we will return to a coaching structure that does not feature a senior assistant role.

Senior coach Matthew Nicks has full trust in our experienced assistant coaching group, which includes premiership coaches and players. Together with Nicks, our assistants will work towards a refreshed gameplan, team first approach and development of our young squad.

Nicks said "I'm excited to work with our coaching group to put us on the right track for 2020 and beyond. The group is relishing the increased responsibility and I think we'll see some great ideas flourish as a result"

CEO Andrew Fagan also discussed the realities of the modern AFL landscape, which includes a cap on football department spending.

"We are comitted to spending 100% of the football department cap, so it doesn't make much sense to fill the senior assistant role and spend money on someone we felt wasn't appropriate."

"We are constantly evaluating all positions in our football department and we felt, given the available candidates, that our cap space was better utilized in strengthening other areas. This includes the appointment of a new Head of Culture. We'll reassess that come the end of 2020 if a standout candidate becomes available," Fagan said"

"Look, we looked around, and all the candidates who were available were a bit s**t, so we decided to just roll with nobody."
You're right... that wouldn't sound good.

Chapman: I know! Let's blame it on the new guy

Ricciuto: No flies on us

<high five>

Here's what the club should have said:

"Since the departure of Scott Camporeale, we have conducted a far reaching search for the best candidate to fill our senior assistant position. However, after assessing the pool of options, we felt that no available candidate was suitable for the role.

We will reassess the situation at the conclusion of the 2020 season, and in keeping with our promise to supporters to have the best football department, we will be on the hunt for an outstanding candidate that fits the requirements of the role. In the meantime, as was the case in our 2017 season, we will return to a coaching structure that does not feature a senior assistant role.

Senior coach Matthew Nicks has full trust in our experienced assistant coaching group, which includes premiership coaches and players. Together with Nicks, our assistants will work towards a refreshed gameplan, team first approach and development of our young squad.

Nicks said "I'm excited to work with our coaching group to put us on the right track for 2020 and beyond. The group is relishing the increased responsibility and I think we'll see some great ideas flourish as a result"

CEO Andrew Fagan also discussed the realities of the modern AFL landscape, which includes a cap on football department spending.

"We are comitted to spending 100% of the football department cap, so it doesn't make much sense to fill the senior assistant role and spend money on someone we felt wasn't appropriate."

"We are constantly evaluating all positions in our football department and we felt, given the available candidates, that our cap space was better utilized in strengthening other areas. This includes the appointment of a new Head of Culture. We'll reassess that come the end of 2020 if a standout candidate becomes available," Fagan said"
Apart from one sentence I think that is spot on

My concern over the 1st sentence would be the blowback of "well why get rid of campo if nobody was better? "

But that's nitpicking

Absolute classic, for all those who think this was a Nicks decision based him not wanting one, need to listen to his presser today.

"Not about making a poor decision"
"Right person"
"Doesnt mean we wont have one in 12 months time"

He has basically said he didnt want one for the sake of it, but will take time over next 12 months to find a suitable one.

So much for "less voice"

When will some of our supporters learn, if ever? When the next situation arises I hope you refer back to this and when we call it out, just shut up.

Last edited:
Absolute classic, for all those who thinks this was a Nicks decision based him not wanting one need to listen to his presser today.

"Right person"

He has basically said he didnt want one for the sake of it, but will take time over next 12 months to find a suitable one.

So much for "less voice"

When will some of our supporters learn, if ever? When the next situation arises I hope you refer back to this and when we call it out, just shut up.

If only the club had good media messaging. They could have outlined this in a positive light and told the truth at the same time

If only the club had good media messaging. They could have outlined this in a positive light and told the truth at the same time
Nicks handled it beautifully and also the question of the footy ops manager, not rushing, want the right person.

As you said, if only....

Hopefully he can teach them a thing or two.

Absolute classic, for all those who think this was a Nicks decision based him not wanting one, need to listen to his presser today.

"Right person"

So much for "less voice"

Yes when will some of our supporter learn, and stop putting all there reliance and belelf on short snipperts from the edited media,
When will our supoorters realize you can actually talk to Nicks yourself. and get his views personnally,
Do it now before he gets driven away by our own supporters, after all we are very apt at pushing negativity.

When will our supporters learn that we are the easiest supporter base to gain clicks and the most gullible for negative information,
Yes a reporter writing a positive story gets mininmal clicks but change that to a negative story and they get double to triple the clicks.

When will our supporters listern to the entire conversation and also note what else he said Like "it was his decision and the groups", groups meaning his Coaching panel. And what about his comment about Godden, and oh he even mention a personal mentor,

How about we just sit back an enjoy the pre season After all most of the negative supporter don't expect much from the club, so how about letting the rest of us enjoy the preseason.

or "we have decided to leave our options open for Nicks & review in a year".

Edit- Scorpus - explained better than me as did Nicks in Elite Crow 's post.

Really need a new media manager as our current one is treating supporters like mugs & it's not helping gaining back the trust.

Last edited:

"Right person"

So much for "less voice"

Classic isn’t it.

And this is exactly what I was on about a few days ago. And yet STILL, STILL....people on here wanted to have a crack at me for daring to question the garbage put out by the club.

Shutts has his own TShirt and coffee mug with :

“We Lie - They’ll Buy”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back