News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What if we trade our 2020/1, 28 to Freo for 10, 2020/2.

This allows Freo to keep their pick 7, and then expecting a bid on Henry after that not lose 10. It also gives points for the Henry bid, while giving another pick to them next year while we try to accumulate points next year.

Maybe some later picks (this year or next) to even it up
No way would I be trading our 2020 1st, could be a bottom 4 pick

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would only considering trading our 2020 1st if we received 2 x 1st rounders for it. Capitalize on the low public perception of the Crows in a Reverse Carlton trade.

However at this point I don't see an obvious team that would be willing to make that 2 for 1 style trade with us. Any way you slice it the risk level is super high!

Hell it was risky for us to do it last year with pick 17 and Carlton, and they were wooden spooners coming off a historically bad season!

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'd take Longer. Depth option who would provide competition and coverage for ROB would be a very nice thing to have, and this would fill the cheap as possible goal of this.
I agree, get him for one season - onto the rookie list, preferably. [note: Longer is 26, not 25 - turns 27 next May]

The most pertinent point about our 2020 1st rounder, is that if Luko is coming home to Crows, then any of our 2020 1st rounder is a deadset lock and going to the Suns.

Tactically trading the 2020 1st rounder out for 2019 1st rounder and 2020 1st rounder may be a very shrewd move. A lot of Clubs expect us to fall and be a bottom 4 Club, it may contain a lot of great value this year.

Suns will demand two 1st rounders, which then we could offer a traded in 2020 1st rounder from another Club and a 2021 1st rounder.

By simply keeping our 2020 1st rounder, all we are doing is handing the Suns potentially a top 4 pick for Luko.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Rumour: Troy Menzel has realised how much he could've had the AFL life, and is nominating for the draft in the hope of being picked up, and is happy to play anywhere.

As a cheap option, plenty of clubs that could do worse

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually doubt it will be.

Worst case you are right, throw in Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Hollands as top 3 options and we are now out to pick 6. Plus the other NGA/FS picks I don't know about

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Name one.

In all seriousness, I’d work backwards from the bottom of the ladder

His talent was never in question, his application was

If he truly has pulled his finger out, he’d be good

Port would pick him up on that alone, look at who they’ve given contracts to in the last couple of yeats

Gold Coast could use him for sure

Even we could grab him with a rookie contract, we did it with Porps

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would only considering trading our 2020 1st if we received 2 x 1st rounders for it. Capitalize on the low public perception of the Crows in a Reverse Carlton trade.

However at this point I don't see an obvious team that would be willing to make that 2 for 1 style trade with us. Any way you slice it the risk level is super high!

Hell it was risky for us to do it last year with pick 17 and Carlton, and they were wooden spooners coming off a historically bad season!
Port, 12, 18
Geelong 14, 17

Imagine if we swapped with Port, then had the dead cat bounce and snuck into the finals and returned them pick 12 next year...only for it to float out to 15 with PP/FS/NGA!

In all seriousness, I’d work backwards from the bottom of the ladder

His talent was never in question, his application was

If he truly has pulled his finger out, he’d be good

Port would pick him up on that alone, look at who they’ve given contracts to in the last couple of yeats

Gold Coast could use him for sure

Even we could grab him with a rookie contract, we did it with Porps

We've done worse, I wouldnt say no to Menzel if he is nominating and has tuned his attitude/behavior around.

2nd coming ? Thats what she said.

If Menzel has been performing reasonably well at SANFL in 2019, he would have attracted the necessary attention by Crows or Port for a rookie list.

His issues appear to be mental application as opposed to injury/off field bs. He is worth the risk, if the Club has seen him turn the corner. Compare this to Bennell that has injury issues and off field issues.

Would be a cheap get that would have a good return.

As a Club, Crows need to take some risks because to attract elite talent outside the draft is nigh on almost impossible.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Menzel has been performing reasonably well at SANFL in 2019, he would have attracted the necessary attention by Crows or Port for a rookie list.

His issues appear to be mental application as opposed to injury/off field bs. He is worth the risk, if the Club has seen him turn the corner. Compare this to Bennell that has injury issues and off field issues.

Would be a cheap get that would have a good return.

As a Club, Crows need to take some risks because to attract elite talent outside the draft is nigh on almost impossible.
Have I stumbled onto the 2016 trade thread? Are we talking about Troy Menzel here? Haven't we been there, done that?

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
aaaaa
Question (curiosity rather than reality) - if we did trade our 2020 first, finish last and Brouch decides to leave as a Free Agent, where would our band one compo pick(s) fall?

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Level 1 compo pick is the pick after our 1st rd, but also based on where we finish on the ladder, not a traded position.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Question (curiosity rather than reality) - if we did trade our 2020 first, finish last and Brouch decides to leave as a Free Agent, where would our band one compo pick(s) fall?
It would still be tied to where our 1st round pick. If we finished last, and had pick #1 (albeit having traded it away), and received Band 1 compensation for Brouch, then that compensation pick would be pick #2.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Excellent, we've been waiting too long for an Angus Graham/Luke Lowden replacement.

Say what you will about those 2, they did exactly what we drafted them to do. Cheap, ready to go ruck depth.

Neither were ever realistically taking on Jacobs and despite what was said at the time, we didn’t really expect or want them to.

Paul Hunter’s effectively done the same thing for us. Strachan similar.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would like to split pick 4 into 7 and 10 (Freo - hope someone likes Henry in the top 9?).
Could take Stephens with pick 7 then take an inside mid at 10.

With live trading can you involve more than one club? I am sure you can do it as two seperate transactions.

After the Green bid, Freo hold 8 and 11 and GWS hold 7. Using the points systems the following are equal

Freo: 8 and 11
GWS: 7 and 13* (in 2020)

If GWS give us what will be pick 7 and their 2020 1st, we could on trade that to Freo for picks what will be 8 and 11. Freo want to avoid a bid on Henry either before 8 or 11 (more likely), they can do that.

- GWS get 4, they match 5 pushing all picks up by 1.
- Freo get 7 and a 2020 1st which they want to be 13 or better, but don’t have to worry about wasting 11 (or even 8) on Henry.
- We get 8 and 11 at only the cost of 4.

Both Freo and GWS are motivated to do this. If Henry is unlikely to go before 11, Freo may feel they lose this trade. In which case GWS actually have more motivation than we do to top them up as they have absolutely no way of getting ahead of the Green bid without either us or Melbourne. We could easily tip in 49 as we would no longer be using it. GWS could also top them up if needed.

Be a win to turn 4 and our last pick into two picks inside the top 11.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
www.fiveaa.com.au

The Adelaide Crows Are Eyeing Off Some Big Names For Off-Field Role
LATEST
www.fiveaa.com.au
www.fiveaa.com.au

Is there any chance FiveAA could break some news ....rather than be 3 days behind every other social media outlet ....do they realise the instantaneous nature behind social media

FFS you're based in SA ....yet you follow every interstate media outlet

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Back