News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you need to understand the AFL rules here (unless I am wrong, which is more likely).

If we take Grundy as a RFA, we lose any compo for Brouch if he walks to another Club.

Ideally we get Grundy as a RFA and trade out Brouch or keep him.

If Brouch walks to another Club and we get a 1st rounder for him and we are a bottom Club, ideally we should trade for Grundy where the trade is less than the value of the 1st rounder compensation we get for Brouch. Otherwise we lose Brouch compensation.

Nothing in my post mentions Brouch leaving (but yes, i was responding to a scenario involving him leaving so your response makes sense). I personally don't think we'll get rid of him if he picks it up a notch next year like i think he will.

Keep Brouch, tell Pies to take their compo for Grundy, couch up our first pick for Luko.

Nothing in my post mentions Brouch leaving (but yes, i was responding to a scenario involving him leaving so your response makes sense). I personally don't think we'll get rid of him if he picks it up a notch next year like i think he will.

Keep Brouch, tell Pies to take their compo for Grundy, couch up our first pick for Luko.

The Grundy scenario is interesting because there is a few variables in play, such as the Pies salary cap issues and several big names on their list coming out of contract. If the Pies sign up De Goey, we should be able to beat any Pies offer for Grundy. If the Pies lose De Goey, I would think they would make sure they kept Grundy with a godfather offer giving him his 6 years that he wants.

Whether we keep Brouch or not, is not going to be up to us, IMO, some teams may put a price on him like $900k and imo thats too much for Brouch and for our Club to keep him here.

You mentioned we use our 2020 1st for Luko, I actually thought we should use our 2020 1st and look to this trade with another Club for this years draft. It could have more value in 2019 to us to use it in this years draft then if we had to give it away for Luko compo.

100% agree. Been a massive over reaction about us, mainly by the vics

The 2020 fixture will shape our season.

If we have "soft" games to start the year and give an opportunity for Nicks and the players to gel, then we could have a decent year. But if they give us the schedule from hell, it could be a long year.

Bearing in mind we finished outside the 8 in 2019, we should get a decent draw.

I can promise you we will not be finishing last, losing Brad Crouch, getting Pick 1 & 2 and then bringing in Grundy and Lukocious. There's a chance the first part might happen, but if we finish last and Grundy and Lukocious want to return home they will go to Port who would look to have a brighter future (Since they aren't finishing last) and Lukocious can play with his best mate in Rozee and Grundy can play with his brother. If we are any chance to convince Grundy and/or Lukocious to come to our club over Port next year, we need to be a competitive side that looks like success is in the very near future.

The Grundy scenario is interesting because there is a few variables in play, such as the Pies salary cap issues and several big names on their list coming out of contract. If the Pies sign up De Goey, we should be able to beat any Pies offer for Grundy. If the Pies lose De Goey, I would think they would make sure they kept Grundy with a godfather offer giving him his 6 years that he wants.

Whether we keep Brouch or not, is not going to be up to us, IMO, some teams may put a price on him like $900k and imo thats too much for Brouch and for our Club to keep him here.

You mentioned we use our 2020 1st for Luko, I actually thought we should use our 2020 1st and look to this trade with another Club for this years draft. It could have more value in 2019 to us to use it in this years draft then if we had to give it away for Luko compo.
problem with Luko is that if GC just refuse to trade with us because we have not much to offer by way of draft capital, they can just threaten the PSD assuming they may still finish low down the ladder next year before they shoot up with the kings treasure trove they have been gifted by the AFL

I get the feeling the AFL will screw us, its a major assumption we get a 1st rounder for Brouch.

Secondly, we shouldnt be coming last in this comp, not with teams like Freo and Suns in the picture, unless we genuinely tank.

How do you propose we take Luko if we cannot trade for him? The threat of the preseason draft? Suns will take him before us.
The Lukosius Rally

world-of-tanks-tank-rally-gif.764359

The AFL really should set up the Lukosius Cup for R23, Crows v Suns.

Would be great if we both have the same number of wins and percentage going into this game.
Imagine if we finished bottom - Luko goes into the PSD and walks to us, we draft one of the best players going around, Edwards, Borlase and PlayerX become r1 rated candidates and we are able to match all bids due to having GWS' r1 pick and go into 2021 with just enough deficit and we take all of them.

the castle.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally we get Grundy as a RFA and trade out Brouch or keep him.

If Brouch walks to another Club and we get a 1st rounder for him and we are a bottom Club, ideally we should trade for Grundy where the trade is less than the value of the 1st rounder compensation we get for Brouch. Otherwise we lose Brouch compensation.

I think you have these the wrong way around. We're better off receiving free agency compensation for Brad (possibly a pick in the 4-8 range), and then trading for Grundy.

Collingwood will be good again next year, and likely finish top 4. Their best hope of compensation for losing Grundy to Free agency will be a pick in the 15-20 range, immediately after their first round pick. If we can trade with Collingwood for Grundy, and offer them something better than that, they'll be likely to take it.

In that situation we would try and package up second rounders to get a pick around the 10-12 mark. With all the talk about how many academy / father son players are in next years draft, there will likely be a few teams wanting to trade out of the top end picks to accumulate more points.

That way we keep our first round pick, say pick 4, get pick 5 for Crouch, and Grundy for a bunch of second rounders. You could then offer pick 5 and a future first for Luko.

Totally agree on 3 of those 4. But we will be absolutely up to our eyeballs in Grundy
We will be up to our eyeballs, but we won't be landing him. Grundy is just "doing a Pav", using us to drive up his asking price without having any intention of leaving Collingwood. The Pies will eventually pay him what he asks, even if it means shedding 2 or 3 lesser players in order to do so.

I think you have these the wrong way around. We're better off receiving free agency compensation for Brad (possibly a pick in the 4-8 range), and then trading for Grundy.

Collingwood will be good again next year, and likely finish top 4. Their best hope of compensation for losing Grundy to Free agency will be a pick in the 15-20 range, immediately after their first round pick. If we can trade with Collingwood for Grundy, and offer them something better than that, they'll be likely to take it.

In that situation we would try and package up second rounders to get a pick around the 10-12 mark. With all the talk about how many academy / father son players are in next years draft, there will likely be a few teams wanting to trade out of the top end picks to accumulate more points.

That way we keep our first round pick, say pick 4, get pick 5 for Crouch, and Grundy for a bunch of second rounders. You could then offer pick 5 and a future first for Luko.
If they're going to all the trouble of clearing enough salary cap room to be able to match a free agent bid on Grundy, then they're going to want a lot more than the crouch pick.

We ended up doing better than that with the Dangerfield trade. We improved the first round pick position by number of spots, we got a good second-round pick and picked up some other steak knives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back