News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Say to GWS we’ll bid on Green at 4. Trade 4 for 6 and Future 1st.

Say to Freo we’ll bid on Henry at 6.
Trade 6 & 45 for 10 & 22.

Turn 4 & 45 into 10, 22 and Future 1st.
GWS get pick 4 plus Green.
Freo get pick 6, 7 plus Henry.

Pick 10 gets 12th best player in draft. Maybe Robertson or McCasey.
Would rather take the 4th-6th player in the draft tbh.

Say to GWS we’ll bid on Green at 4. Trade 4 for 6 and Future 1st.

Say to Freo we’ll bid on Henry at 6.
Trade 6 & 45 for 10 & 22.

Turn 4 & 45 into 10, 22 and Future 1st.
GWS get pick 4 plus Green.
Freo get pick 6, 7 plus Henry.

Pick 10 gets 12th best player in draft. Maybe Robertson or McCasey.
So turning 4 and 45 into 10, 22 and GWS future 1st?
No thanks

But but but Rowey said he was a lock......

I think they'll get someone, who that is o have no idea. Glenelg were quite concerned Stone was going early days though.

My guess would be Nicks might want someone he's had a relationship within football before.

I can’t see why we even need one now. The list is set apart from Haggis in draft day, coaches are either locked in or about to be employed anyway. Coaches set the game plan etc, fitness dept is set and Harper‘s dept ensures they get to the games on time with their kit. If we’re going to settle, we can do that next year. Not settling this year will have no meaningful impact on future flag chances.

I can’t see why we even need one now. The list is set apart from Haggis in draft day, coaches are either locked in or about to be employed anyway. Coaches set the game plan etc, fitness dept is set and Harper‘s dept ensures they get to the games on time with their kit. If we’re going to settle, we can do that next year. Not settling this year will have no meaningful impact on future flag chances.
I agree, but if Nicks wants a guy we need to get them

We don't want to go down the path of not giving another coach who they want.

If he thinks we're ok then that's fine.

Would be happy with 7 and 10 personally.

It's so hard splitting individuals from 4 to 10 that this is the best year to split back to two top 10's imo.

Would be dump truck full of pig s**t time if we traded 4 for 14 and 17
Would have to also get geelongs 2020 1st as well and maybe we give back the bulldogs 2020 2nd or a 2020 3rd rounder

I agree, but if Nicks wants a guy we need to get them

We don't want to go down the path of not giving another coach who they want.

If he thinks we're ok then that's fine.

I think Nicks should get what he wants in terms of his coaching group, but GM of Footy should be outside of his influence. We shouldn’t be asking him if he’s ok with Neil Balme coming over. If he won’t work under a Neil Balme led footy dept, then he can find another job. Hypothetical and extreme example of course and I know that we’re a bit gun shy after the Burton debacle, but we need to be careful that we don’t go too far in the other direction.

I think Nicks should get what he wants in terms of his coaching group, but GM of Footy should be outside of his influence. We shouldn’t be asking him if he’s ok with Neil Balme coming over. If he won’t work under a Neil Balme led footy dept, then he can find another job. Hypothetical and extreme example of course and I know that we’re a bit gun shy after the Burton debacle, but we need to be careful that we don’t go too far in the other direction.
I think the GM has been found.

Understand & support trading #4 for two x first round

But why would Freo do that deal ....makes no sense ...they want Henry and maybe Jackson ? ...Understand that scenario if Henry gets a bid by Crows or Syd ....but is that realistic ?

Could see
Freo #7 & #10 to the Crows for #4
Crows #7 to Geel for #14 & #17
Crows give #17 to Freo

Summary
Crows #4 becomes #10 & #14
Geel #14 & #17 becomes #7
Freo #7 & #10 becomes #4 and #17

Good for Adel & Geel .....not sure still the benefit to Freo
This really only works for Geelong

We paid 19 and 8 for 4.

Giving it up for 10 and 14 seems cheap?

Surely we'd be looking to bring 23 in closer to a first or get 10 lower?
Things change.

It's been a while since we made the trade last year when might have have had a shot at a very low digit pick and top potential draftee. Since then bLoos didn't do too badly, GC got #2 as a PP and draft candidates seem a bit even after the top 3.

If Hamish & co think we're better off (for where we're at now) reversing that trade somewhat, then insisting on sticking with #4 just because of what we've paid for it would just be stubborn.

Things change.

It's been a while since we made the trade last year when might have have had a shot at a very low digit pick and top potential draftee. Since then bLoos didn't do too badly, GC got #2 as a PP and draft candidates seem a bit even after the top 3.

If Hamish & co think we're better off (for where we're at now) reversing that trade somewhat, then insisting on sticking with #4 just because of what we've paid for it would just be stubborn.
You should never look to move backwards but only forwards. By this I mean that any deal for pick 4 HAS to be be better than the equivalent of picks 9 & 19. I don't mind if we trade back down but if Geelong say were interested, then they have to pay a kings ransom for it - 14, 17 and 2020 1st with maybe a later pick (ie 2020 3rd) going back otherwise it just does not seem worthwile. If it was 4 & 28 for freo's 7 & 10, then I'd consider that as we will still get a similar player at 7 and get another good one at 10

You should never look to move backwards but only forwards. By this I mean that any deal for pick 4 HAS to be be better than the equivalent of picks 9 & 19. I don't mind if we trade back down but if Geelong say were interested, then they have to pay a kings ransom for it - 14, 17 and 2020 1st with maybe a later pick (ie 2020 3rd) going back otherwise it just does not seem worthwile. If it was 4 & 28 for freo's 7 & 10, then I'd consider that as we will still get a similar player at 7 and get another good one at 10
Well yes, we should try to get the most we can if we choose to split #4. But if we can't make a profit from splitting #4 but still be better off splitting it, you'd stick with not splitting #4 and not do better (for where we're at) than we could have otherwise?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'd rather trade 4 for 6 and GWS 2020/1
I don't think this is a possibility now the AFL allows trading at the time of the bid.

GWS will just trade out pick 6 & bring in more points.

I don't think this is a possibility now the AFL allows trading at the time of the bid.

Depends if they rate someone in the top 4 this year better than a player at their pick next year. Will still get Green plus another top 4 player.

Depends if they rate someone in the top 4 this year better than a player at their pick next year. Will still get Green plus another top 4 player.
Don't think it's worth their next year's 1st rounder to go up 2 spots as not that much difference in quality of players between the 2 picks.

Well yes, we should try to get the most we can if we choose to split #4. But if we can't make a profit from splitting #4 but still be better off splitting it, you'd stick with not splitting #4 and not do better (for where we're at) than we could have otherwise?
I'd be inclined to not split it if we did not win from a split in terms of pick gain and take 4 to the draft to get a very top end kid rather than 2 kids at the back end of the 1st round

Sweet, since we're well placed to get them points they need, pick 4 and 6 here we come. What a coup if we can convert those two back to say 6 7 and 10 or 6 14 and 17.

The trade after bid thing is a poor call on behalf of afl, but frankly not a big game changer.

The merit in trading around bids is to get picks before a bid. If we bid at 4, GWS don't benefit much from trading at that point. They only benefit if they trade before the bid to get a player then match for the later bid.

As a young boy I dreamed of being a football. But tonight I say we must move forwards not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards draft picks.

The trade after bid thing is a poor call on behalf of afl, but frankly not a big game changer.

The merit in trading around bids is to get picks before a bid. If we bid at 4, GWS don't benefit much from trading at that point. They only benefit if they trade before the bid to get a player then match for the later bid.
Yes, I appreciate that, but GWS don't have the necessary points & would go into significant deficit next year.

So unless they are desperate for 2 top 5 players, which I doubt, they are better of downgrading pick 6 for more points if there is a bid on Green prior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back