News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here! (Part 2)

Sweet, since we're well placed to get them points they need, pick 4 and 6 here we come. What a coup if we can convert those two back to say 6 7 and 10 or 6 14 and 17.
If we are keen to 2 players in the top 10, we should be looking at opportunities to do so. Freo has been talked about, but yes we could do a deal with GWS at pick 4 for pick 6 where we promise not to bid on green & package up some points for them. Expect would need a 3rd club involved.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
That's the test for Reid. I would have that as a min. Throw in 49. Overs in points for us but will allow Freo to get Henry.
Every club supporter wants these deals heavily favoring them .....but thats not the reality

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Every club supporter wants these deals heavily favoring them .....but thats not the reality
Why would Freo be interested at all in trading up? I just can't see it unless it's for pick 3 which gives them carte blanche to select any player other than the big 2 and Green and still get their Academy guy Henry via points even if they go into deficit anyhow? Or am I reading it all wrong? 7 and 10 gets them their Academy guy Liam Henry and another prospective top liner anyhow.....only other WA player likely to go in the top 10 is Luke Jackson even though there is some real quality from WA in this particular draft, better than SA in this draft IMO.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Why would Freo be interested at all in trading up? I just can't see it unless it's for pick 3 which gives them carte blanche to select any player other than the big 2 and Green and still get their Academy guy Henry via points even if they go into deficit anyhow? Or am I reading it all wrong? 7 and 10 gets them their Academy guy Liam Henry and another prospective top liner anyhow.....only other WA player likely to go in the top 10 is Luke Jackson even though there is some real quality from WA in this particular draft, better than SA in this draft IMO.
Agreed .....only thing I can think of is if ADEL or SYD bid on Henry .....If I understand corrctly, this would require FREO using pick #7 and #10 would slide back due to points required ....but I can't see that scenario happening

Holding #7 and #10 .....will get FREO two top lads ....Henry and "maybe" Jackson ......but I reckon Jackson to MELB at #8 is a real possibility

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Agreed .....only thing I can think of is if ADEL or SYD bid on Henry .....If I understand corrctly, this would require FREO using pick #7 and #10 would slide back due to points required ....but I can't see that scenario happening

Holding #7 and #10 .....will get FREO two top lads ....Henry and "maybe" Jackson ......but I reckon Jackson to MELB at #8 is a real possibility
Jackson at 3 4 5 or 6, all of Melbourne, Us Sydney and Gws have expressed intrest in him. After Melbourne's pick 3 if Jackson is there Freo will be on the phone to us. Asking what do you want for 4

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
They need to have the balls to use pick 4 and pick an absolute gun.

I hear alot about how good Hamish actually is, well this is his chance to prove it.

If he is as good as people say then he will nail pick 4.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC

I hear alot about how good Hamish actually is, well this is his chance to prove it.

The problem with that is he'll have to pick someone that turns out as good or better than Dangerfield for people to believe he got it right.... that just ain't happening.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem with that is he'll have to pick someone that turns out as good or better than Dangerfield for people to believe he got it right.... that just ain't happening.
No, he will just need to pick close to the best player in the draft from pick 4 onwards

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Flanders is probably the closest player to Dangerfield stylistically around pick 4 in this draft apart from a bit of size...a fair bit more reliable with his goal kicking than Dangerfield though.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Jackson at 3 4 5 or 6, all of Melbourne, Us Sydney and Gws have expressed intrest in him. After Melbourne's pick 3 if Jackson is there Freo will be on the phone to us. Asking what do you want for 4
I seriously can't see Jackson going before #7 ......basically a James Sellar scenario ....198cm athletic big man ....too short for AFL Ruck and very little forward experience ....whoever drafts him, will try and make a fwd out of him ....sound familiar with Sellars?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

But you can only select from the talent available

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
But you can only select from the talent available
That's all I'm asking. Have the balls to say this is the absolute best player you can pick at pick 4.

If he's as good as people say, then having pick 4 and being able to pluck the best player out of the remaining pool should be pretty good foundation for gunnage.

If you think about every draft there's at least 4 genuine guns that come out of it.

He simply needs to pick 1.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
That's all I'm asking. Have the balls to say this is the absolute best player you can pick at pick 4.

If he's as good as people say, then having pick 4 and being able to pluck the best player out of the remaining pool should be pretty good foundation for gunnage.

If you think about every draft there's at least 4 genuine guns that come out of it.

He simply needs to pick 1.
It's easy to say that if talent was rated on a static list everyone picks from. If you rate a player as the best player available on your list, but you know you can move down and still get him and improve later picks, why wouldn't you do that?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
So Reece Homfray article today says we haven't talked to Kelly about the football GM job and are likely to invest more in development coaching rather than a senior assistant for Nicks with the belief Nicks feels comfortable with who is there given Mattner, Godden and Clarke have all won premierships at different levels of football and the level of youth we'll have coming in over the next few years.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Reece Homfray article today says we haven't talked to Kelly about the football GM job and are likely to invest more in development coaching rather than a senior assistant for Nicks with the belief Nicks feels comfortable with who is there given Mattner, Godden and Clarke have all won premierships at different levels of football and the level of youth we'll have coming in over the next few years.
Something doesn’t compute. He looks a strong candidate, if you’re conducting a thorough review how could he not have interviewed him yet? Who have they interviewed?

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
So all those leaks through the year came from josh Jenkins right ? Care to explain what happened behind the scenes.

Exactly. It’s not every year u get an opportunity to land 2 top 5 players....unless your gifted freebies like GC
GWS currently have picks 6, 40, 59, 60 & 80.

If they traded next year's 1st rounder & pick 6 for pick 4, they would even lose more points/picks next year when they need to match.

They would be paying heaps for 2 top 5 picks.

Still think more likely they use pick 6 to get more points for matching the bid & still have a late 1st rounder / early 2nd rounder to use.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
GWS currently have picks 6, 40, 59, 60 & 80.

If they traded next year's 1st rounder & pick 6 for pick 4, they would even lose more points/picks next year when they need to match.

They would be paying heaps for 2 top 5 picks.

Still think more likely they use pick 6 to get more points for matching the bid & still have a late 1st rounder / early 2nd rounder to use.
But they had that and used them to get pick 6

Back