News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way would I do that deal unless we get a much better pick than he's worth. 1st or 2nd rounder.

Jenkins is a 30 year old proven flake with a ridiculous contract. The combination of Himmelberg and Fogarty, along with JJ’s pathetic responses to being dropped, his continual incompetence in important games, and complete inability to consistently apply pressure, take contested marks or do anything we need a big forward to do, now render him a useless cancer at our club. A 19 year old Fogarty, who was horribly out of form for the majority of 2019, has just put together a better fortnight than Jenkins has produced all season, playing the same position.

If anyone even offers pick 35 for Jenkins, that’s overs.

Cut and run. Pay 250k of his 600k(ish) salary to whoever wants him, and then use some of the coin we save to retain a wanted player such as Keath, or to go towards the salary of a potential trade acquisition such as Fantasia or Francis.

A similar move should be made with Gibbs if there’s a club out there willing to take him on. Highly doubtful in the case of Gibbs because every man and his dog can see that he has the intensity of a garden hose and is mentally shot.

There is literally no point in retaining 30 plus year olds on high-end deals who can’t perform consistently at the required level.

These are the sorts of calls Malcolm Blight made in 1996. It’s a different league now, but the same logic applies.

The Jenkins contract made little to no sense at the time when we had a desperate Brisbane banging our door down for a trade involving us receiving the highest draft pick in club history. The club was spooked by “player retention” issues and inexplicably dished out a $3 million(ish) 5 year deal to a player that arguably had no business even being offered 4 years, all things considered.

It makes even less sense to continue compounding that mistake now by paying him to underperform at SANFL level.

Jenkins is a 30 year old proven flake with a ridiculous contract. The combination of Himmelberg and Fogarty, along with JJ’s pathetic responses to being dropped, his continual incompetence in important games, and complete inability to consistently apply pressure, take contested marks or do anything we need a big forward to do, now render him a useless cancer at our club. A 19 year old Fogarty, who was horribly out of form for the majority of 2019, has just put together a better fortnight than Jenkins has produced all season, playing the same position.

Cut and run. Pay 250k of his 600k(ish) salary to whoever wants him, and then use some of the coin we save to retain a wanted player such as Keath, or to go towards the salary of a potential trade acquisition such as Fantasia or Francis.

A similar move should be made with Gibbs if there’s a club out there willing to take him on. Highly doubtful in the case of Gibbs because every man and his dog can see that he has the intensity of a garden hose and is mentally shot.

There is literally no point in retaining 30 plus year olds on high-end deals who can’t perform consistently at the required level.

These are the sorts of calls Malcolm Blight made in 1996. It’s a different league now, but the same logic applies.

The Jenkins contract made little to no sense at the time when we had a desperate Brisbane banging our door down for a trade involving us receiving the highest draft pick in club history. The club was spooked by “player retention” issues and inexplicably dished out a $3 million(ish) 5 year deal to a player that arguably had no business even being offered 4 years, all things considered.

It makes even less sense to continue compounding that mistake now by paying him to underperform at SANFL level.
They areSick of the fans whinging and moaning all the time about players leaving. Sign them up then the fans whinge about them being on to long of contracts you can't have it both ways

Nobody wants an entitlement culture to begin to take hold amongst their list. Our oldies have zero value on 5he open market. They’re culture killers. You can bookmark this.
He'll almost certainly be at another club next year.

Get the fu** out of our club mate...

Idiotic again from our club.... Jenkins can sit on his arse if he feels like it...
JJ is not really doing anything wrong and I agree this is 100 percent the fault of list management to offer him a ridiculous 5 year deal.

This deal and to a lesser extent the Tom Lynch deal are prime examples of the issues with this club.

Total incompetence.

It's like a bunch of mates blindly running a business.

JJ is not really doing anything wrong and I agree this is 100 percent the fault of list management to offer him a ridiculous 5 year deal.

This deal and to a lesser extent the Tom Lynch deal are prime examples of the issues with this club.

Total incompetence.

It's like a bunch of mates blindly running a business.
Problem was that at the time both jenkins and lynch were bang on form and we had lost other good players. The club was in a bad spot as if we lost them at the time there would have been a huge backlash. We are paying the price now though..no win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These were the "ground breaking" 9 points from that EY review:

I could have come up with that and I would have done it for free.

The challenge is the willingness to be truly challenged and desire to take action. Behaviour and leadership.

Given Chapman is in bed with former senior Partners of KPMG, and KPMG would be relying on alot of down stream work from chapmans new company, this will be nothing but an exercise in proving that everything is fine and only little tweaks are needed.

This is the guy that said there was due process followed and there was no better candidate than Burton.

The problem are the leaders of this club, whereas that wasn't the case with Richmond. Their leaders approached it with the right mindset.

To achieve true change there needs to be a no holds barred review by the right people.

Chapman has started a business that literally trades on his name, there’s no way that anything is coming out that doesn’t state that we’re a brilliantly run football club. “And if you’re needing your business to be similar, may I direct you to Chapman & Co”.

Last edited:
Depends what he means by senior players. It's not going to be a full tear down and rebuild while guys like Walker, Sloane, Talia, Brown, Smith, Crouch Brothers, Seedsman, Lynch etc are still best 22 players.

We're still gonna have about 12-16 of the same guys in the team next year.

I would think he’s talking about the old and uncontracted 4. 2 of who have retired and at least 1 would play on if offered a spot. Otto also said he wanted another year but I’m not sure he said, as Dougie did, that he’d move family to keep playing if an offer was right.

I can understand the JJ are-contracting, nit the 5 years though. What I can’t understand is re-signing Lynch the year after. Only 1 downhill skier can play in a forward line that is only breaking even and not distributing quality ball forward.

I cannot believe these dickheads sat on their hands last year, in an SA talent laden superdraft, and we're now planning to go all out in this on?

Morons!!
Rozee was probably out of reach. Although a shame we weren't able to trade down as Port did.

Luko certainly was out of reach. GC were never giving picks 1 and 2 up. I have a feeling we (or Port) will end up with Rankine quite cheap a la Troy Menzel, once the rigours of AFL training take their toll on his body and mindset.

I do wonder if there is any truth in the murmurings of us getting Luko this year with GC reloading (again) with their first pick, PP and our Carlton pick.

But I am dirty we didnt get Hately. He is a good size and the kind of guy you build a future midfield around. Should have been him instead of Jones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rozee was probably out of reach. Although a shame we weren't able to trade down as Port did.

Luko certainly was out of reach. GC were never giving picks 1 and 2 up. I have a feeling we (or Port) will end up with Rankine quite cheap a la Troy Menzel, once the rigours of AFL training take their toll on his body and mindset.

I do wonder if there is any truth in the murmurings of us getting Luko this year with GC reloading (again) with their first pick, PP and our Carlton pick.

But I am dirty we didnt get Hately. He is a good size and the kind of guy you build a future midfield around. Should have been him instead of Jones.

How was Rozee probably out of reach if Port traded down to get him? They beat us to it

I’ve no issue with Jenkins taking the position he has. We contracted him, all he is doing is sending a very clear message that if we intend asking him to leave, then he won’t be doing so for less money.

Why should he. It’s a problem that’s entirely our own making and no person in their right mind would volunteer to walk away from guaranteed income.

Everyone is in reach at a price, I think if you learn anything from Hawthorn that is their focus

Some would say they punt too much, like how they went after Wingard, but they did the same with Burgoyne and it came off

Live by the sword die by the sword is the Hawks attitude

Why are people having a crack at JJ.

We offered a contract, he signed and wants to fulfil it. He is doing what we as fans want players to do?

Or do we only want players that we think shouldn't leave to fulfil their contracts?

I don’t really have a problem with what Jenkins is saying. The reality is, whether he wants to stay or not, he has a contract for 2 more years and this industry tends to frown on those who come out and say “I want to leave”, especially mid season. The landscape may be changing in this space, but that’s how it’s always been.

The simple reality is that what people say in the media and what is actually happening behind the scenes is the often very different. Last year McGoverns manager came out and flat out denied McGovern wanted out, no ifs ands or buts. Then the second the season is over “I want out”. Dangerfield waffle’d on about “I haven’t even thought of it” all season...

If Jenkins came out tomorrow and said “I want out”, there’d be just as many accusing him of being disrespectful and ungrateful.

Reality is he’s contracted for 2 more years, if we want to keep him we can. If he wants to out, he needs to be diplomatic and I suspect the best way to do this is toe the party line of “I’m contracted and intent on honouring that contract”, even if it’s not true. News flash, players, coaches, managers, admin staff etc in the football world lie all the time. We like to think they’re truthful, but they’re not.

I’ve no issue with Jenkins taking the position he has. We contracted him, all he is doing is sending a very clear message that if we intend asking him to leave, then he won’t be doing so for less money.

Why should he. It’s a problem that’s entirely our own making and no person in their right mind would volunteer to walk away from guaranteed income.

Maybe a reason why Keath and Greenwood are negotiating with ourselves and maybe others

When JJ signed he was travelling exttemly well, with reports he was offered $750K by Brisbane and we got the deal done for $550K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back