Injury 2019 Saints Injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wasn’t Carlisle in for surgery months ago?

Absolute BS from our injury management department.
Can’t stop laughing at these sort of responses. I would suggest that if you have had back surgery you would know why. You do everything possible to stop this type os surgery. Huge risk and also no certainty of fixing the problem unlike most other injuries. Those liking your comment are also showing ignorance. Maybe listen to footballers who have surgery to their back to know why you wait until the last possible moment.

And unless you know Carlisle he may or may not have wanted surgery anyway but why not just blame the club. We will win a flag one day and some will claim we should have won by more.

Sad to see Jack Steven with mental health issues, I hope he makes a full recovery and is back soon. It is always better to put your hand up and get a bit of help-even just a chat with mate can make a big difference. Don't carry the load alone-share it around!

Time to launch Operation "Get Marlion Pickett". We have enough tall backs and I doubt what's on offer out there is any better than what we already have. Pickett is skilful, hard running type who would be ideal off half back or even pinch hitting in the midfield. A great mate and mentor of the Panther as well.

My queries on him is this. Given his demonstrated form and skill level, why was he overlooked in both drafts late last year? St. Trav., St. Cicatriz, Stavros? What's the gossip on him in WA and what are your assessments of him. On the surface he looks a beauty to me. I know he has a troubled background, but seems to have turned his life around. All intelligence from the WA chapter of BF gratefully accepted.
i dunno what the club thoughts were but at 26 already i reckon his age may have put people off ... he certainly has skills and can play at an AFL level but i personally think he is at his celing and theres not much scope to grow so really you are takeing a punt on a guy who would be like a inconsistant 1st or second year player who happens to be in the age group of the guys who are in our leadership group ...

Stephen O'Rileys boy is an option overlooked as an 18yearold in the draft due to a up and down season likes to think he is a forward but most coaches see him as a defender ...

i dunno what the club thoughts were but at 26 already i reckon his age may have put people off ... he certainly has skills and can play at an AFL level but i personally think he is at his celing and theres not much scope to grow so really you are takeing a punt on a guy who would be like a inconsistant 1st or second year player who happens to be in the age group of the guys who are in our leadership group ...

Stephen O'Rileys boy is an option overlooked as an 18yearold in the draft due to a up and down season likes to think he is a forward but most coaches see him as a defender ...
And then there’s my hope Michael Coombes, take him before he plays his first for South Freo, HB, Wing, HF

Yeah but that's the interesting thing about this Rookie replacement draft - do you have to sign them up for two years or can you only sign them for one year since the vacancy only exists for one year.

If that's the case then you'd need to pick a mature aged player with a a AFL ready body rather than a project player.

So Pickett, Marsh, Schoilthe whoever either makes it and you resign him next year or just spends this year on an AFL list getting paid twice as much as they would be earning in the WAFL.

Left field suggestion - Brendan Goddard

Time to launch Operation "Get Marlion Pickett". We have enough tall backs and I doubt what's on offer out there is any better than what we already have. Pickett is skilful, hard running type who would be ideal off half back or even pinch hitting in the midfield. A great mate and mentor of the Panther as well.

My queries on him is this. Given his demonstrated form and skill level, why was he overlooked in both drafts late last year? St. Trav., St. Cicatriz, Stavros? What's the gossip on him in WA and what are your assessments of him. On the surface he looks a beauty to me. I know he has a troubled background, but seems to have turned his life around. All intelligence from the WA chapter of BF gratefully accepted.

as much as it pains me to pump up an ex pie and east freo player, i'd take Marsh from the WAFL, if we are after a defender. the other three options would be Angus Litherland, Jordan Lockyer and if we want an attacking defender Heal (i am surprised he isnt on a list). all three a tad undersized though!

if we are after a midfielder then I would be taking Delucca. in fact i'm surprised we didn't do it in the draft, given the issues with Armo. plus Steven now. Dunstan looks a mile off.

as much as it pains me to pump up an ex pie and east freo player, i'd take Marsh from the WAFL, if we are after a defender. the other three options would be Angus Litherland, Jordan Lockyer and if we want an attacking defender Heal (i am surprised he isnt on a list). all three a tad undersized though!

if we are after a midfielder then I would be taking Delucca. in fact i'm surprised we didn't do it in the draft, given the issues with Armo. plus Steven now. Dunstan looks a mile off.
There has been no inkling from the saints that we will take anyone

Something worse than being reported, Gringo? Shades of A. Hamill - 2 weeks? Billy was lumbering around at Moorabbin on Saturday morning with the other rehabbers. He took a set shot at goal from 15 metres out, straight in front and missed everything. Does not augur well for the season. Winx on the other hand.........

I know I shouldn't have but I laughed out loud at the highlighted.

Was too easy to create a mental picture of Billy doing that!!!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

strong contender for dumbest comment of the week ...

its back surgery not a routine oil change on the car ... there would have been a bundle of methods used to rehab the injury before surgery was even put on the table, the due dilligance of our professional medical staff would have certainy been done ...
professionals with expert knowledge made the call on when to have the surgery ... but yeah nah must be a poor decision ....
Seems as though I made a poor uneducated remark in the heat of the moment and I stand corrected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spinal surgery is always a last resort. There are a multitude of reasons including:
- risks associated with surgery (particularly spinal)
- relatively low rates of success (the literature as a whole suggests it is no better than conservative management anyway)
- the extended recovery post surgery
- in-depth pain science reasons which I won’t delve into here
- once surgery is done you can’t “undo” it
- you need to rehab it after in a similar way to what they have done over the last few months anyway
- plus others

The other important thing here is that Carlisle’s disc protrusion progressed since December, therefore, a greater indication for surgery. In this country, thankfully, discs are generally only operated on when the nerve compromise worsens and good conservative rehab has failed. It’s likely that Carlisle’s nerve symptoms were much less in December.

The management of Tiger Woods is considered by many in the industry to be diabolical. He had at least 4 surgeries and has only recently come good. I bet he wishes he didn’t rush off to surgery (although obviously this would have been the advice he was given at the time).

I’m curious as to which part of our injury management is BS?
Seems as though I made a poor uneducated remark in the heat of the moment and I stand corrected.

Doesn't augur well for Robbo's prognosis.....

I'd relate it more to Carlisle going under the knife.

Robbo in real doubt long term is my guess

Or just common sense because we can put Bytel on the LTI so we might as well stock up in an area where there is possible weakness.

Clavarino also injured, Austin has been injured and Joyce and Battle are pretty inexperienced there. Good move by the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back