VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

i was also there..

dont get carried away with stats.. most of our blokes were average tonight.. Footscray spanked us, no-one really put their hand up for selection
A neighbour saw last night's game and said Sandy were flat as a pancake and nobody near senior AFL selection quality.

+1 from me sadly.
Good endeavour, but our disposal is absolutely bloody terrible. Very lucky to be as close as we were. Only one I would maybe disagree on is Longer. Looked okay (especially early but faded out a bit).

Also I know people are probably sick of hearing me saying this in these threads, but I have had a gutful of players being played in different roles / positions in VFL to AFL (and at different times within games even). Would love to see Coff played in the same role for longer than 2 quarters without being thrown forward, back or mid at a whim. IMO clear roles help young kids develop. Not a fan of what we have done with Lonie for 4 years, Clark last year or are doing with Rice and Coff now. Coff was forward last week, back this week and spurts in the middle here and this has to be contributing to his current struggles. IMO just plant the kid at half back and leave him there. God knows we need another player in the back half that can hit targets.

Has anyone got a theory as to why our ressies are so lame? I don't watch them not being in the state but it just seems we have sucked at Sandy for quite some time.

Add Fridays game that makes us:
0-11 against AFL aligned opposition since April last year
4-22 against AFL aligned opposition since the beginning of 2017

As much as we like to think we have depth by rattling off a few names, we actually don't have much at all. Been pretty clear for a few years, and seems to only be getting worse not better.

For a fair while our Saints depth has been pretty average. Combine that with the lack of strong vfl players on the list due to not being guaranteed a game and some interesting selections like playing 3-4 rucks at times has made us pretty average. Hopefully as our own depth improves and list balances out we may start to see improvement.

Pretty spot on mate. Combine the above with the ongoing issues between Sandy and St.Kilda, and that pretty much sums it up

Last edited:

+1 from me sadly.
Good endeavour, but our disposal is absolutely bloody terrible. Very lucky to be as close as we were. Only one I would maybe disagree on is Longer. Looked okay.

Also I know people are probably sick of hearing me saying this in these threads, but I have had a gutful of players being played in different roles / positions in VFL to AFL (and at different times within games even). Would love to see Coff played in the same role for longer than 2 quarters without being thrown forward, back or mid at a whim. IMO clear roles help young kids develop. Not a fan of what we have done with Lonie for 4 years, Clark last year or are doing with Rice and Coff now. Coff was forward last week, back this week and spurts in the middle here and this has to be contributing to his current struggles. IMO just plant the kid at half back and leave him there. God knows we need another player in the back half that can hit targets.

As much as we like to think we have depth by rattling off a few names, we actually don't have much at all. Been pretty clear for a few years, and seems to only be getting worse not better.

Pretty spot on mate. Combine the above with the ongoing issues between Sandy and St.Kilda, and that pretty much sums it up
Nothing wrong with players doing other roles for a period. It’s about learning different things. That’s what development is.

Sandy were playing with no tall forwards and with the exception of Armitage, no proper inside mids. Longer dominated the ruck, yet we were smashed in the midfield. The only players with any height were Longer, Joyce, Austin & Marsh, so Footscray dominated the air. There was also a tricky stiff breeze which Footscray played a lot better.

Sandy were playing with no tall forwards and with the exception of Armitage, no proper inside mids. Longer dominated the ruck, yet we were smashed in the midfield. The only players with any height were Longer, Joyce, Austin & Marsh, so Footscray dominated the air. There was also a tricky stiff breeze which Footscray played a lot better.

Sounds rough. I guess there are a lot of big guys missing for various reasons: King, Pierce, Carlisle, Rowe, Clavarino, Roberton, McCartin. Unfortunately most of them won't be back any time soon though. Lewie and Rowe should play soon and Clav only a few weeks away.

Sounds rough. I guess there are a lot of big guys missing for various reasons: King, Pierce, Carlisle, Rowe, Clavarino, Roberton, McCartin. Unfortunately most of them won't be back any time soon though. Lewie and Rowe should play soon and Clav only a few weeks away.
I gather Rowe is doing one of those Mini-Preseasons atm.
Why did Pierce not play?

I was there. Had a look.

Ed Phillips - Solid game playing on the wing. Might be the best 2 way runner at the club, often dropping deep into defense to help out. Very much an outside player, at times can be too easily shifted aside in one on one contests. Kicked a good goal from a set shot, on an angle from 45m out. Has improved every year since coming to the club, but i can't shake that nagging feeling that his ceiling is not that high. Could be wrong though. I guess we will find out.

Doultan Langlands - High possession 1st half, seeming to gather his touches surreptitiously, quieter in the 2nd half. Played on-ball, wing. Improved performance from a player who did not make much impact last year. Don't know if he has any stand out qualities.

Brandan White - Was more creative with his ball use than in previous years. Can often kick long down the line, but managed to spot up a few players instead of blazing away including a lovely inbound pass that set up an attacking thrust. Was ok, looked very skinny.

Billy Longer - Wet track performer who won a few decisive hit outs, was a little more involved than usual, blocked and created space for the on ballers when in packs, but he is slow and does not mark around the ground. Marshall for me.

Bailey Rice - Played forward, had no impact. Hard to see to Rice making it. He has some good qualities, he's tough, reads the play quite well and is a reasonably creative and accurate kick. But seriously who can he play on in the backline in the AFL? He's nowhere near quick enough for the fast small forwards and he does not possess the height or athleticism for the medium forwards. And with the pressure being applied in opposition forward lines i can see him getting run down or hurried a lot.

Robbie Young - Electrifying speed. Him and Hind would have to be the quickest players at the club, at least over 20m. Hind might just shade him. What i liked about Young was his reading of the play, timed his run at a few contests so he hit them at speed to gather the ball. Kicked a goal, and nearly kicked another after a clever crumbing off the pack attempt. Left footer, his kicking was pretty good. Good 1st half, faded thereafter.

Logan Austin - Poor game, little impact. Should try and stand next to his opponent a bit more. For a mature player needs to be better than this. Behind Joyce.

David Armitage - Got a a lot of the ball, especially early, but was wasteful. Good leader to have around the group and will be an asset at this level, but he is only depth now.

Darragh Joyce - Only played a half. Unlike Austin he actually stands next to this opponent. Defended well, did not seem to be outpointed in one on one contests. Did not win much of the ball but was assured when he did. Not as nervous as before, a player who has improved a lot.

Jonathan Marsh - Big strapping player who has serious pace for a guy his size. Ran away from two smaller players (jeez, he's got wheels said a bloke behind me) in the 2nd quarter in an impressive display of athleticism. Alright early, but seemed to spend quite a bit of time on the bench, presumably being managed though out the game. Judging by his height, physique and pace, i think he can play both key position and medium defender. Could even play on smaller players. Could even play midfield. Now to find out whether he is any good. Better for the run in horse racing parlance.

Ben Long - Took an excellent mark in the 1st quarter running against the flight of the ball to kick the opening goal. Made a big difference when shifted onto the ball late in the 2nd quarter. Was consistent after that, providing much needed drive and pace around the ball. Won a few centre clearances and tackled with gusto. Started forward, spent the majority of the rest of the game in the centre. Was our best player along with Hind.

Nick Hind - Whoosh. And there he goes. Sonic the hedgehog like. Has an ability to hit top speed straight away. From 1st gear to 4th. Decent opening half, very good 2nd half. BOG in 3rd quarter. Kicked two, including one off a couple of steps from 55m with the wind in the last quarter. Worried Footscray with his pace. Used the ball quite well. Played in defense. Did i mention he's quick?

Paton, Pierce, Alabakis did not play.

I was there. Had a look.

Ed Phillips - Solid game playing on the wing. Might be the best 2 way runner at the club, often dropping deep into defense to help out. Very much an outside player, at times can be too easily shifted aside in one on one contests. Kicked a good goal from a set shot, on an angle from 45m out. Has improved every year since coming to the club, but i can't shake that nagging feeling that his ceiling is not that high. Could be wrong though. I guess we will find out.

Doultan Langlands - High possession 1st half, seeming to gather his touches surreptitiously, quieter in the 2nd half. Played on-ball, wing. Improved performance from a player who did not make much impact last year. Don't know if he has any stand out qualities.

Brandan White - Was more creative with his ball use than in previous years. Can often kick long down the line, but managed to spot up a few players instead of blazing away including a lovely inbound pass that set up an attacking thrust. Was ok, looked very skinny.

Billy Longer - Wet track performer who won a few decisive hit outs, was a little more involved than usual, blocked and created space for the on ballers when in packs, but he is slow and does not mark around the ground. Marshall for me.

Bailey Rice - Played forward, had no impact. Hard to see to Rice making it. He has some good qualities, he's tough, reads the play quite well and is a reasonably creative and accurate kick. But seriously who can he play on in the backline in the AFL? He's nowhere near quick enough for the fast small forwards and he does not possess the height or athleticism for the medium forwards. And with the pressure being applied in opposition forward lines i can see him getting run down or hurried a lot.

Robbie Young - Electrifying speed. Him and Hind would have to be the quickest players at the club, at least over 20m. Hind might just shade him. What i liked about Young was his reading of the play, timed his run at a few contests so he hit them at speed to gather the ball. Kicked a goal, and nearly kicked another after a clever crumbing off the pack attempt. Left footer, his kicking was pretty good. Good 1st half, faded thereafter.

Logan Austin - Poor game, little impact. Should try and stand next to his opponent a bit more. For a mature player needs to be better than this. Behind Joyce.

David Armitage - Got a a lot of the ball, especially early, but was wasteful. Good leader to have around the group and will be an asset at this level, but he is only depth now.

Darragh Joyce - Only played a half. Unlike Austin he actually stands next to this opponent. Defended well, did not seem to be outpointed in one on one contests. Did not win much of the ball but was assured when he did. Not as nervous as before, a player who has improved a lot.

Jonathan Marsh - Big strapping player who has serious pace for a guy his size. Ran away from two smaller players (jeez, he's got wheels said a bloke behind me) in the 2nd quarter in an impressive display of athleticism. Alright early, but seemed to spend quite a bit of time on the bench, presumably being managed though out the game. Judging by his height, physique and pace, i think he can play both key position and medium defender. Could even play on smaller players. Could even play midfield. Now to find out whether he is any good. Better for the run in horse racing parlance.

Ben Long - Took an excellent mark in the 1st quarter running against the flight of the ball to kick the opening goal. Made a big difference when shifted onto the ball late in the 2nd quarter. Was consistent after that, providing much needed drive and pace around the ball. Won a few centre clearances and tackled with gusto. Started forward, spent the majority of the rest of the game in the centre. Was our best player along with Hind.

Nick Hind - Whoosh. And there he goes. Sonic the hedgehog like. Has an ability to hit top speed straight away. From 1st gear to 4th. Decent opening half, very good 2nd half. BOG in 3rd quarter. Kicked two, including one off a couple of steps from 55m with the wind in the last quarter. Worried Footscray with his pace. Used the ball quite well. Played in defense. Did i mention he's quick?

Thanks for the report mate, appreciate it!

I was there. Had a look.

Great write up mate , i think you nailed it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there. Had a look.

I saw Hind playing VFL last year and he was the quickest player I have seen running along side state league players. Looks rocket powered. He actually looked like a cartoon character with his pace.

Can see why you took Alabakis. Was beaten comfortably beaten by Draper but Draper is 3 years into an AFL system and Alabakis is first year in.

I was there. Had a look........

QUOTE]
Geez would be nice if we can see a bit of Long in the guts when he gets into the 1s again.

Said a few times on BF, we need some creativity in the centre clearances, gresh Long, Parker even Lonie can rove packs up forward well, let them do it off a ruckman.

+1 from me sadly.
Good endeavour, but our disposal is absolutely bloody terrible. Very lucky to be as close as we were. Only one I would maybe disagree on is Longer. Looked okay (especially early but faded out a bit).

So true , people say we have plenty of half backs and need mids , maybe so but not many of our half backs are any good

Paton, Rice ,White,Langdoodles to name a few i doubt will ever make the grade

I was there. Had a look.

Hey mate great write up. Much appreciated. Any word on Coffield?

Not a fan personally.
Not against the Saints colours but the "SANDY" in the middle makes it look awful.
Could of put a Zebra or their logo or anything. Makes it look like a crap soil provider is sponsoring us.

Nothing wrong with players doing other roles for a period. It’s about learning different things. That’s what development is.
I agree with you to an extent and there really isnt a right or wrong answer as it would depend on the individual and the developer and many other factors. But.. personally i think if you are throwing a young player all over the ground, it will increase their development time.

I was there. Had a look.

Great write up and muchly appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back