VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Jeez Robbie Young is struggling isn't he. Also interesting that we pick up Wilkie as a rookie and he is already lightyears ahead of Clav.

Don't want to sound negative but the Clavarino selection is looking pretty bad at this stage.

Clav is a different sort of player to Wilkie, and he's 19YO while Wilkie is 23.
Wow ...that Grien Myers is stuggling, compared to that guy Tim Kelly they just picked up.

Not sure about Austin.

Need to replace Brown.

Logic says Battle forward if needed.

Then again if King plays seniors, Sandy will need a kpf.

I want us to give Brown another year, he's in ripping form.
Austin injured all year, its probably more about his medical condition than anything else.
Biggy mostly plays forward , but fills in , in the ruck.

Claverino made the u18AA team in his draft year so he wasn't a speculative pick up. He can play.
Young is the confusing one.

To me , we got Long, and he'd been of limited success.

Now you can't just go to the draft, especially the rookie draft and grab a player who will make it. So in grabbing Hind, Paker , Kent , and Young, they seemed to be after some zippy forwards/wingers with a bit of X-Factor.
3 out of 4 would make Meatloaf pretty happy , not that we'd ever let him back near a footy ground.

According to ghost he was walk up first 22 before he got injured.

I don't watch enough VFL to have any real thorough opinion, but of the 4 or so games this year and 6 or so last year he's never been close. If he was going to play it would have been to give him senior experience. He looked way behind Goddard last year who actually a had a few stand out games and this year looks like he belongs with the unaligned Sandy players not the AFL squad. Perhaps he's one that will look better at senior level, but he looks a long way off IMO.

Yeah I don’t think there’s any way Young’s going to cut it.
Looks way off.

He is probably only depth as a small forward. It's actually the hardest role to play at VFL level because the ball comes down so messily. He's got skills just doesn't get enough footy. He's the type who needs games to adjust to the pace but he's behind Lonie, Kent and Parks.

Clav is a different sort of player to Wilkie, and he's 19YO while Wilkie is 23.
Wow ...that Grien Myers is stuggling, compared to that guy Tim Kelly they just picked up.

Gryan Myers is looking like an elite prospect, Clav is nowhere near his level.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I want us to give Brown another year, he's in ripping form.
Austin injured all year, its probably more about his medical condition than anything else.
Biggy mostly plays forward , but fills in , in the ruck.
Last report had Biggy as most comfortable down back but I don't think there's a lot in it.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jeez Robbie Young is struggling isn't he. Also interesting that we pick up Wilkie as a rookie and he is already lightyears ahead of Clav.

Don't want to sound negative but the Clavarino selection is looking pretty bad at this stage.

Robbie Young might be the worst draft pick we've made since Brad Howard. He was a 10 disposal, 1 goal per game player in the SANFL and he's a 10 disposal, 0.6 goal per game player in the VFL. It was absolutely baffling when we picked him. Taking a chance on a talented kid like Sydney Stack would have been nice

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Robbie Young might be the worst draft pick we've made since Brad Howard. He was a 10 disposal, 1 goal per game player in the SANFL and he's a 10 disposal, 0.6 goal per game player in the VFL. It was absolutely baffling when we picked him. Taking a chance on a talented kid like Sydney Stack would have been nice
Or the many others who haven’t made it around those picks. We took 3 mature players Reckon we are well in front.

might be more than just onfield why we selected him.

So does Clavarino. Maybe a rare type of pecorino?

I'm seeing Gryanmyers coming from the Northern Europe region...perhaps a Gruyere style of cheese. Clavarino definitely some kind of aged hard cheese from middle Italy perfect with Sangiovese or rough shredded on a pasta. Needs a few more years maturing to get maximum effect at this stage though.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some guys bloom into very good players and some don't cut it - Marshall was taken as a rookie at 10 , Sam Draper was taken in the same rookie draft but was selection number one - you win some and lose some and seeing Marshall has turned into some sort of player you also have to give theses guys time.
Marshall will be 24 at the end of the year , so when looking at guys like Clavarino who is just turned 20 we have to be patient - however I can't comment on Young but as we have seen from Lonie this year players can totally turn their career around when you least expect it.

Same goes with Long and Marshall , at this stage in there careers I feel they don't give the 4 quarters we need , however sometimes it just takes time and atm I feel Long is gradually getting better.

Howard was a 2nd rounder. YOung 4th.
I'm not going to lose sleep over a 4th rounder.
Whether he makes it or not, he's already a better pick than ,Spencer White, Nathan Wright, Brody Murdoch , Nathan Freeman etc because we didn't waste a second on him.

Back