VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe let him build up some form and fitness, maybe play him late in the season, maybe let him get used to AFL before even considering him at CHB, ROVER, RUCK, some of the comments.

Let the kid do his thing. We ruined enough talent in wrong positions.

Seems pretty obvious to me that assuming there are no setbacks *touch wood*, he'll debut in our first game in Melbourne post-bye - think it's Brisbane, right? Gives him 6 weeks in the VFL which sounds pretty reasonable. Maybe even a week off the same time that we have the bye. Building nicely though.

Clark will be straight back in for Phillips, hopefully Coffield and White can come in as well.

2q8dg1f.jpg

#oneday

Sure if that works for team structure but I think King can play in multiple positions.
And we still have McCartin, Bruce, Membrey as FF types, none of which can play anywhere else
I can’t believe that anyone thinks McCartin will play another game in the AFL.

Watched just over 3 quarters.

Concur with what lots of the others have said

Clarke - I think was best on for us. Honestly who cares if he has a bit of puppy fat , buddy is a bit chunky , Willis Rioli won a premiership, Clayton Oliver and paddy Cripps took a couple years to get perfect tone.

Also he covered the ground fine. I think the issue for Hunter atm is just his defensive spread from the stoppage. But when he has it he is creative. Had some beautiful runs along the wing/through the corridor. He also has great balance and core strength to evade and break through tackles. Really think we need to persist with him in the seniors because of his scope to really dominate.

Coff - best Coff has played for a while. Really tried to take the game on great to see him win more of the ball. Still has his speed and his kicking is still good despite some mungrels after trying to pull of too much.

White - as usual he and dicey just do their role. He attacks the contest and his boot could really help us

Rice - his attack on the man and the ball is tenacious. Just know what he’ll give

Maxy King - he’s he looks good, against some quality defenders he’s just too tall and athletic. We have to be patient it’s not going to happen immediately.

Joyce - gets better each time he plays hope he gets some more chances as he really needs a block of games to adjust.

Long started slow but got going a little , just needs consistency.

For the people who want to ease back King in the VFL.... we play Carlton next week.... VFL sides would beat them at the moment. I wouldn't mind debuting against Carlton then back to VFL for a few weeks.
He had a good game but he is not where near AFL ready. He has only played 2 games of football in 12 months and still needs time getting his fitness up and load into his legs.

Going into the game with the attitude 'it's only Carlton' is exactly how we lose this game. They have been pretty good at times this year and we will need to play our best to beat them. We can't be carrying kids who aren't ready because that's how disasters happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think most of my thoughts were covered yesterday. To sum up:

Clark - clearly our best for the second week in a row. Smashing down the door for selection. The kid is a jet, and I am dying to see how he goes when played as a genuine mid all game in the AFL. Watching him stream away from stoppages after winning the clearance is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately if he plays next week, I expect it to be on a flank / wing, and for most supporters to want him dropped again after he only gets a dozen touches. He is mid FFS. Its not like we have any elite ones keeping him out of there ...

White - didn't see as much of him this week (as I was following King end to end), but geez his ball use stands out regardless of where you are in the ground. One of only 2 Sandy players that actually hits targets. Insert here the same question most of us have been asking since 2017, "why isn't he playing?"

Absolute daylight to the next best. If anyone else who played yesterday gets picked, it is absolutely not a selection based on form

Coff - looked better this week. Think we are seeing the benefits of him playing the same role for a few weeks in a row (only got pushed into the midfield occasionally but spent most of the game at half back). Was the other player whose ball use and decision making stood out. Still a way off, but big improvement again this week. Please for the love of God leave him there!

Bubbles - solid game as a forward. Still think he is a backman though. Playing an absolutely selfless role, and not sure what else he can do for the team. FYI, constantly bombing it on his head is not a good game-plan (Side note. A big reason we lost was because our backline was too tall and our forwardline was too small. But Gilbo forward and Rice back didn't seem to occur to the coaching staff. People say Ratts has been a huge get for our club. Getting someone like Knights to coach Sandy IMO would have as much - or more - of a positive impact on our long term future).

Longer - beat Z.Clarke comfortably. Think that says more about Clarke than Longer. Did a couple of things around the ground that where okay, but largely played a Longer game. Still a better backup option than Z.Clarke though!

Long - easily the Saints player that had the least impact on the game. Collected a few junk time stats, but looked well off the pace of VFL (let alone AFL). Will probably get picked despite doing SFA

Joyce - a few nice intercept marks. Absolutely worth persisting with as a backman.

Hind - tries really hard and does break the lines. Kicking lets him down though. Shows flashes, but starting to think this is his level. Think a less effective Adam Saad, or a more effective Nathan Wright

Clav - Struggled. Thrown forward very late in the classic "Dawson / Carlisle to the forwardline move." Stats tell me he had 12 touches. Shocked by this! That's okay because he is young and learning. But a fair way off yet.

Armo - cooked

Langlands - Made a few absolute howlers. Will want to improve significantly on that if he wants to stay on the rookie list

As for Winx, what can I say that hasn't been said across the last 8 pages? I know I hardly need to add to the hype, but seriously … get excited!!
If that is what he can do second game back from a knee reco, on severely limited minutes, with terrible (and I mean absolutely horrible) delivery, often being double / triple teamed, often with no other tall forward cover, and with only a handful of touches, then I shudder to think what he can do match-fit and with Bruce and Members as cover. If he puts it all together, this kid is going to absolutely tear games to pieces.

The King is coming …

Last edited:
‘He can’t kick’ ‘why are we going to pick up an injury bust’ ‘all his marks are against junior opposition, I can’t see him doing it at senior level’ ‘we need smith’. Litterly all the bs 90% of posters were on about this time last year when I was saying we are going to pick maxy as he is once in a generational talent everyone disagreed with me back then and here we are! Not to jinx it but it’s pretty hard not seeing him do that at afl level in the future.. imagine when he is 25 after 7 pre seasons.. triggering bro cheers for the support last year in the draft thread!

Think most of my thoughts were covered yesterday. To sum up:

Clark - clearly our best for the second week in a row. Smashing down the door for selection. The kid is a jet, and I am dying to see how he goes when played as a genuine mid all game in the AFL. Watching him stream away from stoppages after winning the clearance is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately if he plays next week, I expect it to be on a flank / wing, and for most supporters to want him dropped again after he only gets a dozen touches. He is mid FFS. Its not like we have any elite ones keeping him out of there ...

White - didn't see as much of him this week (as I was following King end to end), but geez his ball use stands out regardless of where you are in the ground. One of only 2 Sandy players that actually hits targets. Insert here the same question most of us have been asking since 2017, "why isn't he playing?"

Absolute daylight to the next best. If anyone else who played yesterday gets picked, it is absolutely not a selection based on form

Coff - looked better this week. Think we are seeing the benefits of him playing the same role for a few weeks in a row (only got pushed into the midfield occasionally but spent most of the game at half back). Was the other player whose ball use and decision making stood out. Still a way off, but big improvement again this week. Please for the love of God leave him there!

Bubbles - solid game as a forward. Still think he is a backman though. Playing an absolutely selfless role, and not sure what else he can do for the team. FYI, constantly bombing it on his head is not a good game-plan (Side note. A big reason we lost was because our backline was too tall and our forwardline was too small. But Gilbo forward and Rice back didn't seem to occur to the coaching staff. People say Ratts has been a huge get for our club. Getting someone like Knights to coach Sandy IMO would have as much - or more - of a positive impact on our long term future).

Longer - beat Z.Clarke comfortably. Think that says more about Clarke than Longer. Did a couple of things around the ground that where okay, but largely played a Longer game. Still a better backup option than Z.Clarke though!

Long - easily the Saints player that had the least impact on the game. Collected a few junk time stats, but looked well off the pace of VFL (let alone AFL). Will probably get picked despite doing SFA

Joyce - a few nice intercept marks. Absolutely worth persisting with as a backman.

Hind - tries really hard and does break the lines. Kicking lets him down though. Shows flashes, but starting to think this is his level. Think a less effective Adam Saad, or a more effective Nathan Wright

Clav - Struggled. Thrown forward very late in the classic "Dawson / Carlisle to the forwardline move." Stats tell me he had 12 touches. Shocked by this! That's okay because he is young and learning. But a fair way off yet.

Armo - cooked

Langlands - Made a few absolute howlers. Will want to improve significantly on that if he wants to stay on the rookie list

As for Winx, what can I say that hasn't been said across the last 8 pages? I know I hardly need to add to the hype, but seriously … get excited!!
If that is what he can do second game back from a knee reco, on severely limited minutes, with terrible (and I mean absolutely horrible) delivery, often being double / triple teamed, often with no other tall forward cover, and with only a handful of touches, then I shudder to think what he can do match-fit and with Bruce and Members as cover. If he puts it all together, this kid is going to absolutely tear games to pieces.

The King is coming …
Langers looks good when bursts from congestion. He made a couple of howlers but so does everyone on our list.

not sure if you're old enough Dr but I don't think that story has a happy ending
Indeed.. Might be googling twin towers was not researched enough!
Incorrect

The original twin towers were designed in the 60s and constructed in the 70s. After the horrific attacks in 2001 it was identified that there were flaws in the design which made them vulnerable in such a terrorist plot.

The St Kilda twin towers are of a much more advanced design. They are extremely mobile and thus can be moved around the country as demand requires, however they will be located primarily at the Docklands in Melbourne and RSEA Park in Moorabbin. And although their size and dominance will probably inspire new attacks, the Saints towers have been equipped with many advanced safety features including long arms which will allow airborne missiles to be trapped and repelled :thumbsu:

#allgood

Going to harp again but what about Hind ? I just want to see what he can offer. Is this week his chance ?
Why are so many blowing their bolt over Hind , yes he is quick , and turns it over just as quick ,

For the people who want to ease back King in the VFL.... we play Carlton next week.... VFL sides would beat them at the moment. I wouldn't mind debuting against Carlton then back to VFL for a few weeks.
That makes no sense at all , so if he did play this week which he wont IMO and kicks 4 we send him back the VFL the week after ,,,, Yeah right as if that's going to happen, just relax and give him a few weeks to get his fitness up a bit , surely people can wait a few weeks to do whats right for the lad instead of thinking of what they want

Remove this Banner Ad

Back