VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He seems to be going ok the boy. Has traits that can make the transition too. Hopefully he stays injury free from here.

I got there just before 1/2 time after junior footy had finished (the young W2L had a day out, snagged 4 & should have kicked 6).

We walked in the gate just as The King snapped his 3rd so we missed his 1st half show.

Langlands impressed me, reckon he might have something to work with. Nice size, serious wheels & uses the ball well.

White: well what an indictment on the coach that he can’t get a go.

Mayo is a big athletic kid too... when he got on his bike to chase a defender he showed some impressive pace. A Ben Brown like run up at goal too.

Hanners just cruised around, picked up possessions when he felt like it & looked like he was just out for a pleasant Sunday stroll.

Batchelor was great in defence... with all he fill ins he just ran the show, directing blokes out of the backline.

We had to leave early in the last but it was great to see Max & Hanners in action together. Hopefully we’ll see them in RWB before the month in out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandringham have a bye this week , which is bad timing for Hannebery and King

And White, Richo will use his donuts stats sheet from the bye as a reason not to select him.

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
With no Webster and no Geary and his good form, if White can't crack it for a game next round (even with DMac recovering) the writing is surely on the wall. Knowing Richo though, he'll probably play him in the 2nd last round, drop him for the last round, then delist him.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
With no Webster and no Geary and his good form, if White can't crack it for a game next round (even with DMac recovering) the writing is surely on the wall. Knowing Richo though, he'll probably play him in the 2nd last round, drop him for the last round, then delist him.
If he keeps his form up he'll get a chance. Or he'll get picked up. Goddard, Mav and Minch got picked up for comparison...

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
White has to get a run soon. Surely. I have thought he was up to it from the early games he played. Really liked his guts and endeavour. Plus he's got a good boot.

Whether his discipline in adhering to the 'system' is good or bad I have no idea. I can't buy that it is all Richo as to why he doesn't get a game. Playfair particularly as the defensive coach would have a big say, as would the others. I read the rumours about how Richo doesn't like him, but that is just hearsay. Must be more to it.

Last edited:
White has to get a run soon. Surely. I have thought he was up to it from the early games he played. Really liked his guts and endeavour. Plus he's got a good boot.

Whether his discipline in adhering to the 'system' is good or bad I have no idea. I can't buy that it is all Richo as to why he doesn't get a game. Playfair particularly as the defensive coach would have a big say, as would the others. I read the rumours about how Richo doesn't like him, but that is just hearsay. Must be more to it.
It gets very frustrating for supporters.

We know he gets lots of kicks, marks and handballs. Consistently. We know he's a beautiful kick. But apparently he's not meeting some other criteria that would see him get selected.

Meanwhile players who are apparently meeting this other criteria are being selected although they struggle to get kicks, marks and handballs.

When the team gels and gets a win it's not so bad.

But when they fail it just makes us scratch our heads and say things like "why can't Whitey get a game?"

At some stage you just have to let a footballer football.

It gets very frustrating for supporters.

We know he gets lots of kicks, marks and handballs. Consistently. We know he's a beautiful kick. But apparently he's not meeting some other criteria that would see him get selected.

Meanwhile players who are apparently meeting this other criteria are being selected although they struggle to get kicks, marks and handballs.

When the team gels and gets a win it's not so bad.

But when they fail it just makes us scratch our heads and say things like "why can't Whitey get a game?"

At some stage you just have to let a footballer football.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, as I have actually not been able to watch White at VFL level, I'd hazard a guess that it's something to with a blend of his engine size and his defensive intent. Maybe a poor two way runner? Perhaps a selfish defender who is unwilling to come off his man? Maybe unable to contest at ground level? I'm like many others though I keep remembering a great game he played in the ones a few years back and thinking he will be good for us when he eventually gets in.

I'm keen to see him play again so I can assess his development. Really hope Langlands gets a go as well.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Brandon White still unfit and can't play?
Best game in any League I have seen him play. My knock on him was his disposal, raking kick but inaccurate.

On Sunday, I saw very little of that. Was directly behind him when he hit King with that bullet 50 metre pass for the goal in the highlights.
Having Bachelor down back I think may have helped his positional play. Being coached literally in match conditions can only help his development.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Bit disappointed by King's lack of forward pressure, not one tackle on the Stats sheet.

Not to worry give ricChoho some time with him and with development we can swap the goal and tackle tallies around.

;)
Well that's wrong then. Laid a tackle in the centre square and won a free kick.

That was more of a Ross Lyon thing to do.

“You had your chance, and you weren’t BOG, so **** off”

So other clubs must have been rushing for him during the mid-year draft..... No?

2010: Tom Lynch 2nd Season. Played 1 game HBF.
Luke Miles 2 games ... End of career.
Mark Hutchings Not played. ( Because couldn't play HBF ).

Then there was his fast-track development of Armitage and Steven.

Back