VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe I'm ignorant of the arrangement with the Zebs, but why the hell is our scenario with Jake Bachelor not standard fair of the list management? To have 3 or 4 (quality) ex afl players working at the club part time and playing at sandy to support and develop our kids seems a no brainer.
This is a serious question, does anyone know the answer??

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Maybe I'm ignorant of the arrangement with the Zebs, but why the hell is our scenario with Jake Bachelor not standard fair of the list management? To have 3 or 4 (quality) ex afl players working at the club part time and playing at sandy to support and develop our kids seems a no brainer.

If its a choice of a young kid or Batchelor then the young kid plays. Only 7 backs play each week. There were 8 available this week so Jake decides he shouldn't play. Seems the right thing to do.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
That's nothing to do with my question mate..

I thought you asked why he didn't play each week. Thats how it comes across. Maybe im reading it wrong. And also why we don't have part time coaches playing which I didnt answer. If that was the point of the question well I think the obvious answer is money is better spent elsewhere. You only have so much money that can be spent on coaching.

IdawVGI.png

TlLwkhR.png

Probably overplayed major issue .

Bartel said something today pre game thought was spot on , said young guys will kick the ball towards
boundary line outside 50 going forward at the insistence of coaches purely because they prefer to not
score than turn it over .
Then we bomb it into 50 from the flanks, 15 on 1 to our third string forwards, ball spills, turnover, oppo run it out with a chain of handballs and kicks across 45°, sprinting past the fittest team in the comp, as they hit a leading forward target
Goal
Next ball up....acres in the ruck and jake at ff with armo at chb

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
I don't think standalone is the issue now that we have full control

The abomination that is the Sandy Red, White & Black jumper is proof we don't have full control.

Like it or not, there are people associated with Sandy that see us as the enemy, and will forever white-ant our efforts to be in control. A stand alone side, with Sandy left to rot in their self importance (and debt) is the only way for us to prosper.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The abomination that is the Sandy Red, White & Black jumper is proof we don't have full control.

Like it or not, there are people associated with Sandy that see us as the enemy, and will forever white-ant our efforts to be in control. A stand alone side, with Sandy left to rot in their self importance (and debt) is the only way for us to prosper.
ha, the shirt has finnis' good corporate citizenship written all over it. Yes a bunch of old men are full of hate over it, but I don't see how it should impact performance now we're controlling it over their dead body as it were.

The changes did see a loss of talent at sandy though which potentially take a while to get over given the limited value for players. Hopefully the mid season draft etc. will increase interest

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
I remember a poster did a really good post going in to detail about Richmond VFL side preparation vs Sandringham last year and it was chall and cheese.
Was me. August 2017 at Punt road. Think Gilbee was the coach. In the warm up we looked a Sunday pub team playing the pros. And that’s the way the game went.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was me. August 2017 at Punt road. Think Gilbee was the coach. In the warm up we looked a Sunday pub team playing the pros. And that’s the way the game went.
Got to say, and I know their plane was delayed so it was a bit of a rush job, but the 1's training on Saturday reminded me of auskick when the coaches didn't turn up and it was left to a couple of the dads to have a go

Appreciate it wasn't their main block for the week and was no doubt more for the fans than for their benefit, but professional it was not....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Have posted this before. Got a good mate whose boy was playing as a kind of fill in at Sandy. He said some of the Saints players didn’t talk to the lesser lights, and in games ignored the lesser lights in better positions to receive the ball. I watched this after it had been pointed out and he was right. This was nearly two years ago so no idea if it has got better. But wasn’t good then that’s for sure.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Got to say, and I know their plane was delayed so it was a bit of a rush job, but the 1's training on Saturday reminded me of auskick when the coaches didn't turn up and it was left to a couple of the dads to have a go

Appreciate it wasn't their main block for the week and was no doubt more for the fans than for their benefit, but professional it was not....

Train like you play. You can still be light and have fun in a structured warm up if that’s what you want.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I remember the post....it was alarming reading to say the least.
The bloke I sat with that day is highly connected in the AFL world and had been a player. He isn’t a Saints person but doesn’t bag the Saints either. He told me not in complaining manner, just observing. Another poster backed it up with his own story at the time.

Just wish they would sort it out.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Have posted this before. Got a good mate whose boy was playing as a kind of fill in at Sandy. He said some of the Saints players didn’t talk to the lesser lights, and in games ignored the lesser lights in better positions to receive the ball. I watched this after it had been pointed out and he was right. This was nearly two years ago so no idea if it has got better. But wasn’t good then that’s for sure.

Well one of my best mates son plays now and I can assure you that doesn't happen now. The only that does happen is the saints players get first go in their preferred position which is what most of us on here wanted.

WCE did this for years. seems like we are just catching on now.

If its a choice of a young kid or Batchelor then the young kid plays. Only 7 backs play each week. There were 8 available this week so Jake decides he shouldn't play. Seems the right thing to do.

Imagine the melts if Batchelor played instead of White.

Well one of my best mates son plays now and I can assure you that doesn't happen now. The only that does happen is the saints players get first go in their preferred position which is what most of us on here wanted.

I saw Freezer and Billy Longer out at Grill'd last season with a mostly Sandy crew and they looked pretty chummy, it certainly didn't look like they were acting any different. One of my cousin's son played down there last year and his mum never mentioned any bad blood between them either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back