Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Two things:

First:
Average Grand Final attendances at Adelaide Oval
– 32,064 (Excluding Port Adelaide).
– 39,187 (Including Port Adelaide).
= +22%

Second: Under no circumstances should we remain in the SANFL IF the side we field is NOT our AFL reserves side. Absolute waste of time and resources to field three mens teams. I don't believe this is a genuine contemplation within our administration. I think it is in the best interests of SA football for there to be no national reserves (despite the NO AFL in the SANFL crowd) as it will deteriorate the standard of local football here. However if a national reserves does occur we absolutely must be in it and we cannot be running three mens teams.
I can’t see a reserves comp happening for some time but I do see you guys playing in the VFL within a couple of years. Had a very good chat to a SANFL club President a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that Williamstown and Port Melbourne have enquired about joining the SANFL and that the SANFL club delegates are pushing for a cap of 12 AFL players each week in the SANFL and they have a meeting coming up in a few months where this will be pushed further. Can’t see you or the Crows wanting to stay if that gets up. The AFL is also leaning on the SANFL to have the same rules across all comps that their sides are in to ease transition between the two comps. If Williamstown and Pt Melbourne head over here the VFL would virtually be a Victorian AFL reserves comp and even talk of the Swans and GWS joining as the NEAFL is uncompetitive.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Lol 31 frees
Absolutely reckon you blokes copped the rough end of the pineapple but unless things have changed the last kick OOB counts on the free kick stat sheet and there was a patch in the second quarter where I recall you guys giving away 4-5 frees for this in about 5 minutes. The ball was carrying the forwards heads with the breeze and rolling out. The Glenelg “diving” and acting was way over the top though IMO

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For me it was all those times we bombed it into the middle and half-forward and literally every Magpie to have ever existed leapt for it like a cocaine-addled mark’s up.

Could not one of them have stayed down to crumb?

The random Glenelgs who effortlessly rebounded must’ve thought their coach had rubbed a genie lamp.
This has been happening for years at Port. Is it ou4 players who are just dumb, or our coaches?

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can’t see a reserves comp happening for some time but I do see you guys playing in the VFL within a couple of years. Had a very good chat to a SANFL club President a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that Williamstown and Port Melbourne have enquired about joining the SANFL and that the SANFL club delegates are pushing for a cap of 12 AFL players each week in the SANFL and they have a meeting coming up in a few months where this will be pushed further. Can’t see you or the Crows wanting to stay if that gets up. The AFL is also leaning on the SANFL to have the same rules across all comps that their sides are in to ease transition between the two comps. If Williamstown and Pt Melbourne head over here the VFL would virtually be a Victorian AFL reserves comp and even talk of the Swans and GWS joining as the NEAFL is uncompetitive.
12 players each week? Oh just brilliant SANFL. What a joke.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Two things:

First:
Average Grand Final attendances at Adelaide Oval
– 32,064 (Excluding Port Adelaide).
– 39,187 (Including Port Adelaide).
= +22%

Second: Under no circumstances should we remain in the SANFL IF the side we field is NOT our AFL reserves side. Absolute waste of time and resources to field three mens teams. I don't believe this is a genuine contemplation within our administration. I think it is in the best interests of SA football for there to be no national reserves (despite the NO AFL in the SANFL crowd) as it will deteriorate the standard of local football here. However if a national reserves does occur we absolutely must be in it and we cannot be running three mens teams.
I’m assuming these figures are since redevelopment which wouldn’t really count for much as Port have been in three GF’s in that time, all against high drawing traditional clubs, Norwood, Sturt and Glenelg.
Yet last year attracted more than 40k without Port playing and there’s a pretty fair argument that if Sturt, Norwood or Glenelg played each other there’d be 40k plus again.
The other years, 2015 and 2016 have involved WWT and West Adelaide who always draw lower crowds. So if you are just doing it from 2014 it’s a stupidly small sample size that pretty well deems it nonsensical.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Funny, hey, Port and Crows wanted all of our reserves playing in our own reserves teams instead of scattering amongst the other SANFL teams like we did previously so as they could learn our game plan and be 100% trained in our own system by us.

Well it sure hasn’t seemed to benefit our AFL team so far.
Perhaps we should go back to the old system while we wait to move into a National reserves team.
Maybe then our reserves players will learn how to actually football rather than Hinkleyball.
Sick to death of the SANFL’s attitude anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
I’m assuming these figures are since redevelopment which wouldn’t really count for much as Port have been in three GF’s in that time, all against high drawing traditional clubs, Norwood, Sturt and Glenelg.
Yet last year attracted more than 40k without Port playing and there’s a pretty fair argument that if Sturt, Norwood or Glenelg played each other there’d be 40k plus again.
The other years, 2015 and 2016 have involved WWT and West Adelaide who always draw lower crowds. So if you are just doing it from 2014 it’s a stupidly small sample size that pretty well deems it nonsensical.

Yeah nah Glenelg isn't a traditional club like Sturt, Norwood and Port are

You're thinking of Souths

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting hearing Phil Hoffman on the Sunday roast this morning talking about when we went for the second license to join the AFL and he was on our board we definitely didn't want a team in the sanfl. We were told they wouldn't sign us off to join unless we agreed to have the maggies in the local comp because they were worried about the huge impact of not having us might have spelt the death knell of them. Went onto say it's not the same magpies as it once was and we actually wanted to totally cut our ties to join the national comp. Basically we'd outgrown these Adel suburban clubs.

This is correct, Port were not going to have a team in the SANFL, but were forced to by the SANFL, so we could get the AFL licence.
Brian Cunningham spoke about it with our Rick.

Yeah but when I asked him where would our reserves be playing? In the sanfl was his answer. Exactly what we have now.

In 1990 Weber envisioned we'd have a vfl extension side and all our sanfl structures. The young vfl extension was in its infancy. This would've been ideal for us.

In 1994 the club was looking to dump all its sanfl structures and enter the afl alone but according to Bucky our reserves would be playing across all the sanfl teams. Not ideal for us.

Sincethen the AFL's nature has changed. More players are playing for the money, for careers. The club recognised that not only having all Port players playing for Port Adelaide was important so was having ranks whereby any drafted players with a Port culture may return to the club. However the sanfl cut that off and for some reason our club is helpless to have done much about it. Thus the club has invested resources in academies and been a voice at AFL House for the return of zones.

Bucky noted to me that in hindsight it would've been a mistake to have cut all structures in the sanfl. What we have now is exactly that, and it doesn't suit us.

We have been too meek to make ourselves a better afl club and in turn a better sanfl team that can win these grand finals against hack teams.

Garner was crap like most of our players. He won't make afl on that performance.

Garner has been clumsy as hell in both of the last two finals. The umps may have been out to get us, but he kept giving them plenty of excuses.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Rules will be changed in SANFL from next year. AFL are pushing for it.
The SNAFL's General Manager Football Adam Kelly said only last week that they will not bring their rules in line with the AFL's rules despite the AFL pushing hard for it.

The Burger King

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
People pay for tickets when Port Adelaide is involved. I know other years the SANFL give away a lot of tickets to ensure a decent crowd.

Mundusa

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port wins the clearance, bombs it forward blindly.
Glenelg rebounds from 50, uncontested mark in their 50. Goal. Repeat.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Disappointed, with all the out of contract players fighting for extensions I thought we would've been more aggressive, but Glenelg outpaced us and wanted it more. I can't even say the league was trying to stop us, we were the inferior opponent and we blew a big opportunity.
It's been a terrible last couple of years for Port Adelaide, and I really don't know how I'm supposed to be optimistic and positive anymore when nothing is changing. Asking for a reserves premiership really shouldn't be much to ask, or at least that's my interpretation of it, I know football is a hard sport but I've been stabbed by the club multiple times now and the wounds are not getting any easier to manage. You don't get used to it.
I would be a lot more upset if my boys down at the hills didn't wrap up an undefeated season with a cup the other day.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
At the warm up (we were sitting behind the southern goals near the race and cheer squad) the Port faithful were giving everything to inspire the boys.
The blokes were self obsessed, no interaction, not talking to each other, the senior guys were not getting around the kids to calm them, the players seemed disinterested in the support they were getting, all in their own insular little cocoons.
Started getting nervous at that point!

And so it came to pass...……….

Not sure whether it was:
a) not in their DNA to give their bodies, souls and blood to win a piddly second tier comp
b) did a "Collingwood" and just assumed all they needed to do was turn up the and the Cup was theirs
c) were over-hyped causing everything to happen and be done in slow motion.

Whatever. Bays too good. Lucky to be that close, really. What has this Club become when we lose GF's to perennial losers - and so comprehensively?

The s**t sandwhich of the past 12 years is the gift that keeps on giving. And it appears there is no end in sight. Meanwhile the Board, coaches and many of the underperforming players slap each other on the back and tell each other things are great, and don't listen to those stupid supporters cos they know nuffink!

This club breaks your heart so often these days. You place so much emotional investment into success and proving to be the best, only to see those in charge bulldoze over the cracks and tell you that bucket of horse **** in the corner is really chocolate. The you get angry, frustrated, disillusioned and start to give up yourself. And that festers and individual bits of ice drop off the side of the mountain, and it ultimately becomes an ever increasingly sized snowball rolling down the hill - until it becomes an avalanche!

And the band plays merrily on...………...

All is good. All is calm. All is under control. Pay your money cretins and stop moaning.

And the band plays merrily on...………...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back