2nds 2019 SANFL Grand Final- Port Adelaide v Glenelg 3pm Sunday 22/9

Remove this Banner Ad

A pretty disappointing performance, and a very dull game after such a great spectacle in last year's GF. Port never looked like they could win at any stage. The sort of display you get when the club is run by people with no understanding of, or interest in, the Port Adelaide ethos, and therefore none of that attitude being instilled in the young players. Looked like a bunch of kids making kid mistakes, and much like the Port AFL side: a bunch of plodding, poorly skilled mids, no game plan, aimless bombing of the ball into the forward line, etc. etc.

A few thoughts on players of interest:

Garner - a bit of a favourite on these boards, but wasn't good yesterday. Did a few good/courageous things but too much dumb stuff and seems to have no idea how to tackle without giving away high tackle frees.

Frampton - starting to slide off the Billy train, dropped so many easy marks yesterday it was almost comical. Don't know if the hand injury might have affected him. Kicked poorly too. Not our worst by any means, had every chance to bag 5 or 6 goals, but stuffed it up. Still hope he's with us next year.

Marshall - no impact. Maybe more to do with the crap delivery and lack of system.

Drew - his kicking is atrocious. Looking more and more like another of the type we don't need.

Trengove - got a bit of the ball but hard to see him having enough impact at AFL level to get another go.

Farrell - not competitive enough, only gets the ball if someone else gives it to him. It's OK to be an outside player but sometimes you've got to fight for it. Hope he can improve, but not convinced.

McKenzie - not able to have his usual influence. Hope he gets another year and gets to play in the right role for him, has something to offer.

Ladhams - showed flashes of his talent but no real impact in the ruck.

Hayes - won lots of taps but our plodding midfield couldn't take advantage.

Atley, Mayes, Lienert - all look like no more than SANFL standard players.

Overall, a bit deflating - beaten by a more committed and decently coached side. Sound familiar?

.... I meant as far as the AFL starting it's own SA based competition and giving money directly to 'Grassroots' footy, bypassing the SANFL taking it's cut ....
Where would the club's for the AFL's grass roots competition come from?

Would they entice clubs to leave SNAFL affiliated competitions or would they create new clubs and attract new players or entice players away from existing clubs?

I can't see this as a very cost effective way of providing extra funding to grass roots footy in SA.

For me it was all those times we bombed it into the middle and half-forward and literally every Magpie to have ever existed leapt for it like a cocaine-addled mark’s up.

Could not one of them have stayed down to crumb?

The random Glenelgs who effortlessly rebounded must’ve thought their coach had rubbed a genie lamp.
Lost count of the times I yelled at Tobin Cox to stay down and crumb ffs. Flew for everything like a new age Brett Ebert.

Sturt and Norwood have fallen away. Is it temporary? Glenelg bobbed up looking a level above the rest of the sanfl teams whilst the rest of them dropped away. Port and crows were up there this year. I wonder if the Bays splurged money and their strength will be temporary, and if Port and the crows begin to sit in the top three of the league from this point onwards barring a lot of injuries. I wonder if the sanfl clubs financial buying power of better players is lesser and the standard of sanfl teams slide down an increment, as we saw when the crows joined the AFL and Port joined the AFL. Or not.
Would the Richmond reserves or the Hawthorn reserves or Bulldogs reserves have accounted for Glenelg? Are the Vic AFL reserves sides better than ours? I don't know if the sanfl clubs are on a slide or should be.

The last two Cinderella stories, West and North tumbled very quickly after their flags, so let's hope see if the same fate befalls the Palindromes. Maybe after such long periods without winning one these teams spent the next year still celebrating.
North had more quality youngsters to get gutted. Glenelg was more older ex-AFL players so they aren't likely to be impacted much. A latter day Centrals of 'not quite good enough for the top level' older and bigger players beating up on better youngsters, before they fill out and either get drafted interstate or playing in the 1's (for Port and Adelaide).

North had more quality youngsters to get gutted. Glenelg was more older ex-AFL players so they aren't likely to be impacted much. A latter day Centrals of 'not quite good enough for the top level' older and bigger players beating up on better youngsters, before they fill out and either get drafted interstate or playing in the 1's (for Port and Adelaide).

So another dynasty of the de-listed coming up eh?

Sturt and Norwood have fallen away. Is it temporary? Glenelg bobbed up looking a level above the rest of the sanfl teams whilst the rest of them dropped away. Port and crows were up there this year. I wonder if the Bays splurged money and their strength will be temporary, and if Port and the crows begin to sit in the top three of the league from this point onwards barring a lot of injuries. I wonder if the sanfl clubs financial buying power of better players is lesser and the standard of sanfl teams slide down an increment, as we saw when the crows joined the AFL and Port joined the AFL. Or not.
Would the Richmond reserves or the Hawthorn reserves or Bulldogs reserves have accounted for Glenelg? Are the Vic AFL reserves sides better than ours? I don't know if the sanfl clubs are on a slide or should be.
Most SANFL premiers have been gutted by the following draft. Norwood lost heaps after 2014, West in 2015, Sturt in 2016 lesser degree in 2017 and North in 2018. Throw in the MSD and it guts them even further, West a case in point. Glenelg will likely lose 4-5 to this years draft.

Also the ability for SANFL players to continue to balance training demands, family and work commitments past their late 20’s is proving an issue. The money dangled in front of them out in the country is hard for some to ignore.

Most SANFL premiers have been gutted by the following draft. Norwood lost heaps after 2014, West in 2015, Sturt in 2016 lesser degree in 2017 and North in 2018. Throw in the MSD and it guts them even further, West a case in point. Glenelg will likely lose 4-5 to this years draft.

Also the ability for SANFL players to continue to balance training demands, family and work commitments past their late 20’s is proving an issue. The money dangled in front of them out in the country is hard for some to ignore.

Hmm ... I wonder if the sanfl clubs have become financially less capable of hiring enough of the better non-afl players? Have they become less financially capable of developing quality sanfl players of 5 years ago? Is there going to be a further drop in sanfl standard or will many of the clubs bounce back again next year?

I am absolutely gutted. Not just because we lost the Grand Final today.

I am gutted because today its finally sunk in to me that the club i grew up supporting no longer exists. It is dead

Today we saw nothing more than the Port Power reserves (yes i said that deliberately) wiping their arse with our sacred guernsey.
They just didnt give a fu** today. No desire. No intensity. No hardness.. nothing
You could have chucked a power guernsey on this team today as they played exactly the way the AFL team played and lost the exact same ******* way

The team i grew up supporting would have smashed the living suitcase out of any Glenelg team that thought they had a chance to beat us in a grand final. We have been fed all week the grand finals of old. Scotty Hodges dragging himself on to the ground after busting his knee up in 1990. Against all odds we would grind teams into the dirt in GFs. 1 goal 8 in 1989. 1994 when we were 5 goals down early against the eagles will our way back into the game then put our foot down on their throats. We were feared and hated because of who we were and what we stood for. The PBs gave the other teams nightmares.

I yearn for what i had when i was a little tacker. Now we are nothing more than a soulless franchise masquerading as the PAFC and its killing me.

Today i went. After the first 10 minutes i lost all emotion again because we have seen all this s**t before and i am ******* over it.

It makes me sick because we lost to Glenelg.. ******* Glenelg.. and to think that smug campaigner Graham Cornes would be grinning like a Cheshire cat makes me angry.

Im falling out of love with my football club and its making me incredibly sad.

The team you support WOULD have annihilated Glenelg, the reserves of that team didn’t though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why the scrubber league has different rules to the AFL...it just doesn't make sense. Surely the leagues should have the same rules nation wide, what a pile of horse s**t the SANFL is.
That last touch rule is diabolical.
certainly is to our (hinkleys) gamestyle, streaming out of defence and then kick to the pocket for a stoppage.

any chance any of our forwards would lead and any chance any of our mids would lower their eyes and any chance any of our mids could hit a target.

the most frustrating gameplan in the afl and now the sanfl.

Norwood had 1 player drafted in the 2014 draft. Anthony Wilson in the rookie draft to West Lakes.

West Adelaide lost 6 players. Aaron Francis (Essendon), Riley Bonner (Ports) and Matt Hayball (Geelong). With Jono Beech (Adelaide), Will Snelling (Ports) and Tim Keogh (Gold Coast) being Rookied.

Sturt lost Jarrod Lienert (Ports) Lewis Young (Bulldogs) to AFL drafts in 2016. Sturt lost 6 players in the 2017 draft.

Norf lost 5 in the 2018 draft. Rozee and Woodcock (Ports), Robbie Young and Callum Wilkie (Saints) and Jordan Sweet (Bulldogs).

Westies and Norf were the only ones you got correct. You completely reversed Sturt's fortunes.

Glenelg will lose Gould thats probably it. Their side is built on guys who've already been dropped as not good enough for the AFL.

qk4TPBY.png

yhQIrDg.png

Not sure why the scrubber league has different rules to the AFL...it just doesn't make sense. Surely the leagues should have the same rules nation wide, what a pile of horse s**t the SANFL is.
That last touch rule is diabolical.
The last touch rule is straight out of U9's.

Screenshot_20190923-173709.png

Norwood had 1 player drafted in the 2014 draft. Anthony Wilson in the rookie draft to West Lakes.

West Adelaide lost 6 players. Aaron Francis (Essendon), Riley Bonner (Ports) and Matt Hayball (Geelong). With Jono Beech (Adelaide), Will Snelling (Ports) and Tim Keogh (Gold Coast) being Rookied.

Sturt lost Jarrod Lienert (Ports) Lewis Young (Bulldogs) to AFL drafts in 2016. Sturt lost 6 players in the 2017 draft.

Norf lost 5 in the 2018 draft. Rozee and Woodcock (Ports), Robbie Young and Callum Wilkie (Saints) and Jordan Sweet (Bulldogs).

Westies and Norf were the only ones you got correct. You completely reversed Sturt's fortunes.

Glenelg will lose Gould thats probably it. Their side is built on guys who've already been dropped as not good enough for the AFL.

Can Glenelg continue to afford them? Can any sanfl club afford having several of these players that are just out of the afl ability level?

Hmm ... I wonder if the sanfl clubs have become financially less capable of hiring enough of the better non-afl players? Have they become less financially capable of developing quality sanfl players of 5 years ago? Is there going to be a further drop in sanfl standard or will many of the clubs bounce back again next year?
It’s very hard to get interstate players to come here as they have to find work also and fit into the salary cap.

Ok got 16 and 17 mixed. Norwood probably lost a lot of their core the previous year, definitely during their 3-peat.
My point still stands in regards to premiers dropping soon after a period of success.

Can Glenelg continue to afford them? Can any sanfl club afford having several of these players that are just out of the afl ability level?
Surely the SNAFL clubs are flush for cash now that they don't have to prop up Port Power.

Our game plan is not really any game plan (AFL or SANFL).

The Bays had a system. It was basic. It worked. It was uncomplicated. They would make body contact at the on ball scrimmages and marking contests. The ball would be jarred free. They had crumbers to lap up the morsels and distribute to outside runners. Under pressure, they just tossed handballs forward at a 45 degree angle knowing that a team mate would be trained to run to that position. Never changed. Never was picked up by players nor coaching staff at Port. Simple as!
Contest every ball. Get numbers there. Run it away. Ended up with unpressurised, fluent ball movement into attack.

Contrast that with Port. We let them go unmarked so many times. Gould, for example, kicked long to the corridor several instances. A Port and Bays player wrestled each other, the third man up was a Glenelg player, who floated across them and marked uncontested. Time after time!

We just bombed it high and ugly (seriously, I have never seen a game where one side had so many wobbly punts and complete miskicks). How do you bloody expect someone to mark those?

We would all fly for the mark, spoil each other, and have no crumbers.

Fundamental footy 101.

Epic fail Port. We got caught HTB or smothered kicks so often because we don't have a simple system. We grab the ball, then look around to spot up a team mate, taking a second or two. When we eventually see one, it's taken too much time, and it's too late, and we are caught. If we do get it away to a team mate, sometimes it's not the first option 'A' but it's to team mate 'B', so players who had anticipated getting the next possession in the chain were caught out of position, and someone else who had not thought he would be required then had to hot foot it to get into position to receive the ball from team mate 'B' instead of team mate 'A'. And it's all under pressure, and consequently there is no fluency in the movement forward.

All hail King Ken's (flawed and clueless) game plan permeating through every level of the Club!

Which explains why we were so "deer in the headlights" so often in pressure situations. Devise a winning game plan you ****ing idiots.

Agreed with most of the 'Tisers' best players for a change.

Suttcliffe - skipper's effort. Best after a shaky first ten minutes. Tried his guts out all day. Influential midfield and forward. Laid a lot of tackles and took the heavy hits, unlike so many others!
Garner - Scott kicked 3 goals (one when Garner was on the bench) and stood McBean and Reynolds for times as well. Hardly put a foot wrong. Courageous intercept marks running back into the pack. Laid tackles. Fearless character - can see why he is likened to Hodge. Needs AFL exposure - future skipper IMHO. Second best.
Frampton - didn't quite work for Billy, but people saying he had "checked out" are complete w***ers and have no clue. If anything he was trying too hard, and snatched at marks a bit too much. Still clunked at least half a dozen contested grabs. Kicked one goal set up two others, laid 3 bone jarring tackles, missed two shots he should have nailed, crashed packs and presented all day. Whilst he should have taken more marks, he was against 3 opponents most of the time, and at least brought the ball to ground - as mentioned before, not his fault our crumbers were non existent!!!! He actually gave a s**t as seen by the emotion he displayed out there. And played 80% of the game with an injured hand. Third best for me.
Lienert - hard to guage his game. Caught a lot HTB or smothered kicks (refer earlier paragraph regarding "system"). Lot of hack kicks to no great advantage, but at least he got the ball and gained good distance. Serviceable game.
McKenzie - solid. McBean had no influence up forward. Did his job. Finally go tht message in the third quarter and sent a bomb from the kickout to the centre circle, where Billy clunked a contested mark, hand balled off and ended up with a Suttcliffe goal. Serviceable.
Hayes - actually dominated the hitouts when rucking and a couple of nice grabs too. Needed to hit the ball into the open space. Was just dropping the ball at his feet but the Bays mids were spanking our inside mids and cleared the ball from his taps. Good game from the big guy. Serviceable.
Drew - shocking first half. Lifted in the second half and showed hitherto unseen physicality with smothers and crunching tackles, so he gets a pass mark for me for that.

None else deserved much praise tbh. Too timid at the contest. Need Cahill/Fos style blokes with big game temperament, physical courage, appetite for the contest, mental toughness, etc. We have recruited too many slow, timid players with no capacity to influence a game.

Trengove and Mayes - didn't give a yelp or impact positively when they did have the ball. Delist.
Farrell - timid. Unless he "does an Amon" and blossoms after a few years I would trade.
Frederick - hadn't played for nearly a month, and was rusty. Got caught a lot, but took them on and wasn't scared. Keeper!
Ladhams - not his best gam but took couple of good grabs. Still keep as he has potential. Keep.
Hewett - did he play? Delist.
Cox - tried hard, two grabs in packs and goals. Enough to keep him on, not a great game yesterday though.
Woodcock - never seen him do much in all the games I have watched this year. Strange draft selection, and shows nothing to me. Bye.
Marshall - understand all he has been through, and credit to the lad for that. But not ever going to be the great white hope contested marking beast we wish him to be. At best a poor man's Hoff type of player. Really lacks presentation as a forward and at times looks like he doesn't care. Clueless when switched onto McBean. Come at me, but I would trade him as much for his own sake as the Club's.

A sorry day for the PAFC and the devaluation and ridicule brought onto the PB.

Appreciate and respect your views but gee whiz. Potting players left right and centre. One kid you want to farewell played the second half with a fractured cheekbone, ran 14 plus kms and busted his arse and played his role as he has done every game this year while developing. “Standing on the outside looking in” should be left to Cold Chisel.

The pain is excruciating.

The scum played like it was their last day on earth and were frightened of losing; our players played like it was just another game. That's to be expected though because once upon a time, not so long ago, when a player was honoured with being asked to play for Port Adelaide and he walked in the door at Alberton, there were old timers with bent fingers and hips that clicked when they walked, there were kiddies clutching footballs looking in awe at the photos of past champion players and teams, 16, 17, 18 yearolds listening intently to the experienced people who have been around the club all their lives, there were volunteers and underage coaches, family members, parents who had come down from the country to see how their son was getting on: that does not happen any longer. The new players get an induction with plenty of words about the past but football clubs aren't museums, they are PEOPLE and we abandoned those people and our heritage to become a shallow, flimsy, corporate entity and the players that played in the Grand Final represented exactly what we have become - the pain is excruciating.

The pain is excruciating.

The scum played like it was their last day on earth and were frightened of losing; our players played like it was just another game. That's to be expected though because once upon a time, not so long ago, when a player was honoured with being asked to play for Port Adelaide and he walked in the door at Alberton, there were old timers with bent fingers and hips that clicked when they walked, there were kiddies clutching footballs looking in awe at the photos of past champion players and teams, 16, 17, 18 yearolds listening intently to the experienced people who have been around the club all their lives, there were volunteers and underage coaches, family members, parents who had come down from the country to see how their son was getting on: that does not happen any longer. The new players get an induction with plenty of words about the past but football clubs aren't museums, they are PEOPLE and we abandoned those people and our heritage to become a shallow, flimsy, corporate entity and the players that played in the Grand Final represented exactly what we have become - the pain is excruciating.

Can Port find its way back?

Can Port find its way back?
Yes. By restoring the club back to what it was before the advent of the "all the AFL players playing for the Magpies/reserves". We need to go back to the SANFL, cap in hand and tell them that we have seen the errors of our ways and that the "model" of having all the AFL players at Alberton is unfair to the other SANFL clubs and that we want to go back to the way it was where SANFL clubs had a "mini draft" to select AFL players newly recruited to Port Adelaide Power. As for the players already at Port, we will retain our allotted number of AFL players as per the amount allowable to the other SANFL clubs AND we will have our zones returned to us AND we will field a SANFL team along with reserves and under 18's and under 16's as well as under age "talent squads". Whether or not the cows want to be go down the same path, who gives a f**k! If they think they have an advantage, then good luck to them, it's something we have to wear because of our shortsightedness.

Unless we get back to the model that served and nourished us for 100 years plus, we will become extinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back