Preview 2019 season - FML it’s MEH

How do you feel about season 2019?

• IDGAF

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I’m in balls deep

Votes: 38 88.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a while since there was some controversy on this board so I thought I’d kick off 2019 with a little nudge.

Find myself in a very strange mindset. IDGAF about footy anymore. Why? Could it be the endless changes of the rules? Could it be the endless money spinning ideas of head office? AFLX. Rules changed constantly. Low impact investing of a women’s comp because of mismanagement. Manufactured and handicapped draws. Well, it’s a bit meh.

The game is poorly administered and over officiated. It’s turning into a sanitised appeal-all product with global ambitions. And it’s losing the life spirit of what it was. Unique and exciting and for the people and the grass roots.

I’m not gonna lie. I’m gonna struggle watching AFL this year. I’m a 20 year club member and used to be a die hard AFL fan. I’d watch 4-6 games a weekend no problems. Even last year when we were dominating, it still felt s**t to watch. The grand final - it should have been a great game but I could not have cared less. Maybe this is the valley floor after climbing the peak of Everest in 2017.

Vote and discuss peeps. How do you feel right now about season 2019?

#eco

Last edited:

I actually feel fairly excited for the 2019 season. Richmond just acquired Lynch and I want to see how the season unfolds from there as I have a really good feeling.

I know I should be feeling the same way. I just don’t.

Yeah that's fine, I understand. I actually felt that way heading into the 2018 season so I know how that feels

Only thing gets me back in is a Lynch ACL in round 1 followed by a LARS that gets him back by round 22 and Gary Ablett like finals performance that takes us to flag plus norm/brownlow/matthews/ayres like season from someone. *lookin at you dusty*

I Don't get it.
As a Richmond supporter, if you're not excited about the next 6 months you'll never be excited.
After 30 odd years of crap, I'm in love with everything!

I Don't get it.
As a Richmond supporter, if you're not excited about the next 6 months you'll never be excited.
After 30 odd years of crap, I'm in love with everything!

That could be it brother. 30 years of crap. Can 2017 be topped? Maybe that’s not the right question. Maybe the question is, with 2017 behind us should there be another flag in this group?

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I have supported Richmond through thick and thin since 1969 as a 5-year-old.

However, the AFL HQ constant tinkering with the game and self-opinioned numbats like Gerard 'I know what is good for the game' Whateley has left me somewhat ambivalent.

I keep asking if Geelong had won the premiership in 2017 would Whateley have been calling for changes to the fabric of the game, the cynic in my thinks not.

Until the AFL leave the game alone and stop trying to turn it into Basketball, the ambivalence will remain.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Pointing the finger right at AFLHQ.The rules committee seem like its a given to change something about the game each year just to justify their position.Will always follow our club club with passion however watching other games is in decline for me.Even watching carlton getting belted each game has lost some of appeal,Not because i feel sorry for them but moreso where the game is at.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
Been a while since there was some controversy on this board so I thought I’d kick off 2019 with a little nudge.

Find myself in a very strange mindset. IDGAF about footy anymore. Why? Could it be the endless changes of the rules? Could it be the endless money spinning ideas of head office? AFLX. Rules changed constantly. Low impact investing of a women’s comp because of mismanagement. Manufactured and handicapped draws. Well, it’s a bit meh.

The game is poorly administered and over officiated. It’s turning into a sanitised appeal-all product with global ambitions. And it’s losing the life spirit of what it was. Unique and exciting and for the people and the grass roots.

I’m not gonna lie. I’m gonna struggle watching AFL this year. I’m a 20 year club member and used to be a die hard AFL fan. I’d watch 4-6 games a weekend no problems. Even last year when we were dominating, it still felt s**t to watch. The grand final - it should have been a great game but I could not have cared less. Maybe this is the valley floor after climbing the peak of Everest in 2017.

#eco

Hear ! Hear ! Good statements Loin Chops. Powerful statements. Statements of purpose. Keep this up and a Poty is coming your way.

Was it Monash uni that did a study a couple of years ago of AFL fans that found a large and growing number of people were like you: over officiated, de sensitised, pedantic and bland ?

I'm going the same way. Still follow Richmond as hard as ever but the game is a technical, over officiated game (off field and on) and full of sensationalist soccer mum drama queens in the media and at AFL headquarters that seem they want nothing else but an expanded game of basketball with an oval shaped ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
I have supported Richmond through thick and thin since 1969 as a 5-year-old.

However, the AFL HQ constant tinkering with the game and self-opinioned numbats like Gerard 'I know what is good for the game' Whateley has left me somewhat ambivalent.

I keep asking if Geelong had won the premiership in 2017 would Whateley have been calling for changes to the fabric of the game, the cynic in my thinks not.

Until the AFL leave the game alone and stop trying to turn it into Basketball, the ambivalence will remain.

Mince Whately is an example of the sort of person that pervades society nowadays. The nerdy, pious, selfish, rights and rules PC sort of person that dispenses his righteous sermons on everyone while I'm sure, conveniently "forgets" his own standards when it suits. Can't stand that bloke.

May 13, 2015
Spotswood Campus
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍Ophidian Old Boys🐍

#eco
I feel your pain Sir_Loin; I have followed the club since KB had hair and seen the VFL and AFL go through a lot of trial and error.

I get the AFL are keen to market a sexy product that appeals to a diverse, multi cultural crowd, is OH&S friendly and gender neutral.

I get how having a fast, exciting game that can compete with all the other sport products will get more of the sponsor dollars.

However the idea of change, breaking the old traditions, and introducing “new rules” I don't get.

I guess I am at period in my supporter life where “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

either that or I'm just a grumpy old pr!ck ;).

That could be it brother. 30 years of crap. Can 2017 be topped? Maybe that’s not the right question. Maybe the question is, with 2017 behind us should there be another flag in this group?
Simple .........YES!
I never believed this club would:
A) Win a flag 2017.
B) Be the best team in the country until 2nd last game 2018.
C) Win a record 22 consecutive games at the G (won't be beaten)
D) Become a 'destination club' attracting players like Lynch.
C) Rightly are flag favourites for 2019!

Guess what?.........They ALL came true.
Put AFL cynicism aside folks and enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.
;)

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
My interest in footy has narrowed to just the Tigers.
Used to watch other free-to-air games, now I can't last a full game.
Used to read the footy articles in the Herald Sun. Now couldn't be bothered.
Same with Footy shows on TV. I enjoy Front Bar but that's it.
Same here.Use to watch all footy shows.
All shows have at least one over opinionated Buffoon which spoils the show completely.Yes you moreso than anyone Gerard Wankley.
Footy Classified is about the only show i watch these days and even thats hit or miss.

Back