Preview 2019 Season Opener v Hawthorn Pre-game Hype Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I survived, did you see me unload on you?

But it was an easy mistake, you are obviously new to this board and how Big Footy works.
Well I have never used the tagging function much to be honest. Never to old to learn though. Thank you for your coaching. 3 Brownlow votes for DMac this week I hope.

Who is this capable half back you are referring to?
Haha.

He is capable. Plays the role better than Knight and we lose too much in an attacking mid if Gibbs is put back there. I would actually suggest Murphy better across HB than these two. Gibbs would do it better. But he is more value as an attacking mid.

I am just trying to work out the thought process of why he is playing. Hopefully I am not wrong and he is just depth and drops out for Seed. If he plays when all of Smithers, Seed, Milera and even Laird are in I will light up my pitchfork.

The way I see our list DMac is cover for HB. CEY is cover for midfield and Otten is cover for KPP.

I love that we have gone in with Knight, Jones, Eddie and Murphy. That is a lot of tackle pressure. Which was a highlight of the GWS JLT game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mackays idiotic selection has overshadowed Jones selection and Keath favoured over Hartigan, bloody Mackay.
Not for me it hasn't, but then again I'm a positive sort of guy.

It is a very poor decision mind you, and it'll be poorer if he plays next week.

Knight can’t play wing?
Very few players have spent meaningful minutes on the wing since Don arrived. Essentially we have used Seedsman, Atkins and Mackay. Other players who have spent time on the wing include Gibson, Milera, Smith, Gallucci, Sloane and Gibbs. Riley Knight has been used as a pressure forward and as a tagger but has spent very little time on the wing.

My preferred option was to use THE MIGHTY THOR as an inside mid and use Sloane and Gibbs in a mixture of inside mid and wing. Without TMT another option was to bring in CEY and use Sloane/Gibbs on the wing, clearly we didn’t want to slow down our inside mid group.

Mackay provides two options which will not change our inside mid mix. He can play as a defender and allow Smith or Milera to move to the wing or he could replace Seedsman in a like-for-like replacement. Despite the way the team is named, it would not surprise me if Mackay plays on the wing as a direct replacement for Seedsman so we can keep Laird, Milera and Smith in defence.

The good news is that Chayce Jones spent quite a bit of time on the wing in the three trial matches, particularly the under 23 trial. I also expect Gallucci when fit to spend more time on the wing and Ned also spent time on the wing in the under 23 trial.

Change is coming but so is Winter. Hopefully it arrives quicker than GoT.

You're not arguing that we should've kept Henderson, are you?

We shouldn't have kept Hendo because there was no way we were going to play him in his best position.

As a defender he was utterly hopeless and we showed no signs of using him up the field like Hawthorn do

Bullshit.

It will be Jones or Murphy making way (if no one gets injured).
Yeah we'll see
The good news is that 39 or our squad (at this stage) will pull on a Crows jumper this weekend. Only Brown, Seedsman, McPherson, Hamill (not sure why) and Otten (emergency for AFL) will miss out on a game.

In addition, Greenwood, Gallucci, Himmelberg, McAdam, Stengle, Davis and possibly Hartigan are not yet fit enough to play in the Ones. The players who are ready to go but were not selected are CEY, ROB, FOG, Poholke, Wilson, Hunter and McHenry (I am assuming that Scholl, Butt and Strachan are not ready yet).

1) I would love to get games into the FOG but I think our structure will be better with one less tall in attack.

2) The selection of Bran Nue Mackae was only surprising because it seems like he is a bit underdone however I did not see the last Twos trial match and only one Bigfooty poster has indicated they were at the match.
Do we want to play one of the underdone players like THE MIGHTY THOR, Gallucci or McAdam?
Do we want an extra inside mid (CEY, Poholke, Wilson) and for Gibbs, Brouch and Sloane to spend time on the wing? I believe we have the need for speed.
Do we play another tall forward (FOG, Hunter) or two ruckmen (ROB)? I am not keen on this.
So..... it came down to Bran Nue Mackae or playing NED and moving Chayce to the wing.

3) I am personally delighted to see Smurphy selected. In 12 months he has come from being the last player selected on our rookie list to an emerging AFL player, imho.

4) I was pleased but not surprised that Alex Keath was given the nod (what a waste of some top class melts when one poster declared that Keath had been dropped for JLT-2). I suspect that part of the reason was the restricted pre-season for Hartigan and I would write him off too soon.

5) It is great to see we have taken the chaynce with Chayce.

Overall it is a fast, fit team and whilst I expect a tough game, it is a game we should win.
Club reporting Hamill has a fractured finger.

It's been stated correctly that the game will speed up this year .....if you haven't a quick midfield, you'll have problems

This comment just adds weight

There were a lot of players walking half way through the last quarter last night. Players completely out on their feet. Will be interesting to see if tonight's game looks similar late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A mate texted me this and I thought he was kidding.

I just don't see what we are gaining here.

Move Knight to a wing, Milera back to hbf, bring in one of McHenry/McAdam/Stengle for the forward role Knight leaves.

Bring in any of those three and we are gaining X-factor, pressure, speed in the forward line and replacing seeds booming kick with the, albeit less polished, tenacious, gut running, high intensity game of Knight.

Bring in Dmac and we just lose seeds weapons and replace it with possibly one of the most vanilla, mediocre players in the competition.

As in previous years, if dmac is providing our outside run, we are in a lot of trouble.

So get over it.

No. I want to see us win a premiership, and this move offers no help to that at all. Going for the safe, super mediocre player instead of using this as an opportunity to explore an option that could end up actually helping us out later on in the season run once we see injuries start to properly set in. Now this won't harm us against Hawthorn at all, because we should be winning this match by 5-8 goals no matter what we do here, but it does harm us long term by denying that testing.

Especially using the words "tough call" with this selection. This is the exact opposite of tough. This is a lazy selection.

There were a lot of players walking half way through the last quarter last night. Players completely out on their feet. Will be interesting to see if tonight's game looks similar late.

Wouldn't surprise me - it's warmish for footy, and humid by Melbourne standards.

Last year we were running on the spot in the last quarter against the Bombers. Both Adelaide and North were spent late in the game in R1 2016. No matter what the conditioning, there's always a bit of extra nervous energy expended in the first match.

Last time we defeated the Dawks, Dmac was good and played his run and carry role admirably.

It is a sign. Crows by plenty. Dmac with 1 Brownlow vote in a career defining game.

When he refers to 'tough call' he's talking about picking Mackay. You see everyone on the planet knows he should not get picked. Everyone knows he's underdone, and a fringe player at best. Everyone knows he is limited and there are many other options.

Hence picking him, just because, was definitely the 'tough' call. Gee our selectors are brave. Well played everyone.

A mate texted me this and I thought he was kidding.

I just don't see what we are gaining here.

Move Knight to a wing, Milera back to hbf, bring in one of McHenry/McAdam/Stengle for the forward role Knight leaves.

Bring in any of those three and we are gaining X-factor, pressure, speed in the forward line and replacing seeds booming kick with the, albeit less polished, tenacious, gut running, high intensity game of Knight.

Bring in Dmac and we just lose seeds weapons and replace it with possibly one of the most vanilla, mediocre players in the competition.

As in previous years, if dmac is providing our outside run, we are in a lot of trouble.

And that mate was ... Albert Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back