Preview 2019 Season Opener v Hawthorn Pre-game Hype Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL gave May a 1 week suspension but Shiels escaped his gut punch with a fine which we all know if it was Tex he'd get a week

Hawks are the worst exponents of the gut punch tactic. I’m sure they bank on never getting suspended for it. Wil be interesting to see if it happens again Saturday and if it does, you know it’s an instruction.

Hawks are the worst exponents of the gut punch tactic. I’m sure they bank on never getting suspended for it. Wil be interesting to see if it happens again Saturday and if it does, you know it’s an instruction.
and it's usually on Eddie Betts seen it like 4 times in 3 seperate games against them

giphy.gif

Anyone got footage of Shiels punch?

If you want to send a message at the start of the year you’d surely give him a game if it’s a blatant punch or do the AFL prefer fines so the bottom line looks better helping their bonuses?

Anyone got footage of Shiels punch?

If you want to send a message at the start of the year you’d surely give him a game if it’s a blatant punch or do the AFL prefer fines so the bottom line looks better helping their bonuses?
It was behind play, regulation closed fist jab in the gut. I saw it at 3/4 time they replayed the vision.

Douglas out...I think Dougy could become a bigger whipping boy than DMAC this year.

At least it’s understandable that Dougie might have a few credits in the bank. We’ve gifted Mackay about 150 games of football so one can assume he has a pretty significant overdraft facility. Hopefully he maxed it out last year or we’ve called it in.

This is my team (locks in bold):

B: Kelly, Talia, Laird
HB: Smith, Keath, Doedee,
C: Seedsman, Brad, Milera
HF: Lynch, Tex, Hugh
F: Betts, JJ, Murphy
FOL: Jacobs, Sloane, Matt
IC: Gibbs, Jones, Atkins, Knight

Out from the JLT - Hartigan, Douglas, Fogarty and CEY

But I fully expect Douglas to get a spot in front of either Murphy or Jones.

I would say that Knight, Dougie and Rat are all locks. Hugh a lock if fit. Murph, Gooch and Jones fighting for a spot but doubt that Gooch will be available anyway. Keath/Harto could go either way. Keath is great with ball in hand but Harto’s body does a lot of good things. If the game stopped at quarter time, Keath would be a certainty but Harto worked back into the game quite well. I won’t be surprised if either name appears in the 22. Any change other than Hugh for either Murph or Jones will shock me though.

Exactly.

Its ok though. Big VFL club and prominent player. Nothing to see here.
We all know the rules....no key player of a big Vic club can be suspended for round 1.....or a GF.
As interstate supporters we need to grow up and accept the rules....our constant demands for equality and fairness are getting tiresome.
As for Taylor Walker.....that outspoken, undisciplined thug is walking a VERY fine line....we dont need South Australians thinking they can attack the ball like that in this competition. Fog will be next.

We should all pay our Foxtel subscriptions....pay our memberships, thank the Victorians for allowing us to play in their MCG (once or twice a year) ...and shut the hell up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first 3 games of this year will tell us if we are a contender or not.
We should win all 3 if we are a top 4 side.
Hawkes love to bet us and are very well coached - but we should run over them with our prep and home ground advantage.
6 day break to Sydney at SCG.
We need to win this as we did last year.
6 day break to Geelong....who are up and about....and would fancy beating us at home.
I get the feeling we have trained and prepared for these first up games....need to win at least 2 of 3
But all 3 sets up our year....from there we will have some serious momentum.
6 or less losses usually gets you top 2 ....this is what we need to be aiming at.

From memory there’s no statistical disadvantage having a 6 day break but the chances of winning after back to back 6 day breaks is pretty slim.

Exactly.

Its ok though. Big VFL club and prominent player. Nothing to see here.
We all know the rules....no key player of a big Vic club can be suspended for round 1.....or a GF.
As interstate supporters we need to grow up and accept the rules....our constant demands for equality and fairness are getting tiresome.
As for Taylor Walker.....that outspoken, undisciplined thug is walking a VERY fine line....we dont need South Australians thinking they can attack the ball like that in this competition. Fog will be next.

We should all pay our Foxtel subscriptions....pay our memberships, thank the Victorians for allowing us to play in their MCG (once or twice a year) ...and shut the hell up.
Just for some balance, If a big name player was getting off at a Victorian club, May would have got off. It's Liam Shiels. He's hardly a gamebreaker.

The Shiels decision is ridiculous. The AFL stated at the end of last season that they would be cracking down on players hitting other players. The Shiels punch was exactly what they were talking about, a deliberate gut punch when the ball was nowhere to be seen.

The rule now seems to be that you will get a fine if you punch the opposition in the guts providing they don’t collapse like a pricked balloon (think Selwood or Dangerfield).

If we need Shiels to miss in order for us to beat Hawthorn then we are not as good as we would like to think.

We've clearly been intimidated by them in recent times. Even Laird has played a few stinkers against them, fumbling and looking like a rabbit in the headlights.

I want to see that this has changed. Similar to that minor round game against Geelong in 2017, this is our chance to break the cycle and make a statement on our home turf.

The AFL didn't even wait until the season proper started before dropping the facade that they will be cracking down on punches behind play.
I Bet a filthy player like Tex would be rubbed out pretty quick for the same hit....to the aplause of all in AFL house.

We need slaughter this year and rub thier faces in it.

From memory there’s no statistical disadvantage having a 6 day break but the chances of winning after back to back 6 day breaks is pretty slim.
Well.....we play Richmond 5 Days after GWS.....with Richmond coming off the Bye.
Similar to the bullshit we copped against Hawthorn last year.
Clearly a coincidence.
Naturally the VFL will do what it can to help out those poor big Vic clubs.

Good question....my gut feel is the club is doing a Brown....he was tracking ok....but couldn't increase his loading and thus needs an operation now.
Im hoping im wrong ....but the radio silence is not a good sign at all....means he's not tracking as hoped....they are pretty quick on the good news.

played in the trial game though, my worry is he re-injured or even a different injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back