Preview 2019 Season Opener v Hawthorn Pre-game Hype Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is looking increasingly likely Greenwood will be available and selected for our R1 match v the Hawks. He had a good return via the SANFL trial and now a week off, so its like being back for two weeks.

Assuming the team from JLT 2 is the template, which is reasonable by observing its line-up, this leaves in my opinion two line ball choices, namely Hartigan or Keath and either Murphy or Jones. I really can't call the key back position. Hartigan is the more experienced but Keath the more naturally talented with more upside. With a finals window in view, I will go for Keath in order to get games into him. A similar state of affairs exist between Jones and Murphy and I will go the same way. I will say Jones based upon his superior natural ability, upside and with a view to September. When Pyke said picking the team will be difficult I think these are the sort of choices and dilemmas he had in mind.

Here then is my most likely R1 side:

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Int: Gibbs Jones Kelly Knight

Last edited:

I think it is looking increasingly likely Greenwood will be available and selected for our R1 match v the Hawks. He had a good return via the SANFL trial and now a week off, so its like being back for two weeks.

Assuming the team from JLT 2 is the template, which is reasonable by observing its line-up, this leaves in my opinion two line ball choices, namely Hartigan or Keath and either Murphy or Jones. I really can't call the key back position. Hartigan is the more experienced but Keath the more naturally talented with more upside. With a finals window in view, I will go for Keath in order to get games into him. A similar state of affairs exist between Jones and Murphy and I will go the same way. I will say Jones based upon his superior natural ability, upside and with a view to September. When Pyke said picking the team will be difficult I think these are the sort of choices and dilemmas he had in mind.

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

That is a strong side to put on the park. Even changing Keath for Hartigan and Murphy for Jones still makes us a very difficult team to beat if we are switched on. My one fear is that the Hawks, knowing they are inferior, will come out and go the knuckle as they are prone to do. If that happens, I hope our blokes stand up and deal thuggery for thuggery for a change.

Following last year’s debarcle I hope any semifit player is not rushed back into the AFL. THE MIGHTY THOR might have to be an exception. If he is not injured but lacks peak aerobic condition then it may be best for him to start in the AFL. If he plays in a Twos trial against Poort Maggots rather than against the Hawks, he will be even further behind the aerobic fitness of players in the AFL. With a fit Brouch, Sloane etc he can play mainly up forward while he is building up his fitness.

Statistically TMT is our most effective stoppage player (as measured by stoppage wins per stoppage). He plays a vital role in our structure.

You know, I always struggle with that word. I tossed up which one to go with. Both looked wrong.........hoped no one would notice:drunk::thumbsu:
That is a strong side to put on the park. Even changing Keath for Hartigan and Murphy for Jones still makes us a very difficult team to beat if we are switched on. My one fear is that the Hawks, knowing they are inferior, will come out and go the knuckle as they are prone to do. If that happens, I hope our blokes stand up and deal thuggery for thuggery for a change.

I don't think that scenario will play out in Round 1. The point is that the Hawks do not know they are inferior. I also think that they have a very good side on paper and are known to be one of our problem opponents. We have to beat them. To do this, we must overcome the Clarkson game plan whereby they clinically pass the ball to loose men all the way down the field. I'm sick of seeing them handball sideways from traffic to an unmarked player who then does what he likes. The ex-Hawk Lewis did this to us twice in the same match last year, accepting a handball inside from the wing, alone, and then slotting 50-m goals. We seem to be slow learners in combatting this stuff. :(

Following last year’s debarcle I hope any semifit player is not rushed back into the AFL. THE MIGHTY THOR might have to be an exception. If he is not injured but lacks peak aerobic condition then it may be best for him to start in the AFL. If he plays in a Twos trial against Poort Maggots rather than against the Hawks, he will be even further behind the aerobic fitness of players in the AFL. With a fit Brouch, Sloane etc he can play mainly up forward while he is building up his fitness.

Statistically TMT is our most effective stoppage player (as measured by stoppage wins per stoppage). He plays a vital role in our structure.

I admire your enthusiasm, but your first sentence is right, even for Thor.

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Int: Gibbs Jones Kelly Knight[/QUOTE]

Forwardline looks very slow

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

That’s easily fixed, you’ve got Jones and Knight on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Forwardline looks very slow[/QUOTE]

Jones and Knight are there though.

Relax guys, don't get salty, I was trolling Marty the same way he constantly trolls all of you on here. I thought that would have been obvious.
You trolled and belittled every worker in here that is not white collar.

By even saying that it’s quite obvious you have a belief that workers are beneath you.

When deciding between Keath and Hartigan for the final key defender spot could we go with... neither of them?

Talia with Doedee and Kelly.

How tall will the Hawks forward line be?
Definitely worth some thought , we may need Harto on the smalls ala Robbie gray as Kelly is our only real shutdown defender for them and the rest are mainly offensive

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Greenwood
Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Greenwood is a massive in if he gets up. Doesn't win a lot of the ball, but is a damn dangerous inside player (especially his defensive work), and is developing into quite a good forward option when we've needed something different.

Though, i'd be going Greenwood for Doulgas in this case. Murphy/Jones is a much more dangerous combo then Douglas/Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back