Preview 2019 Season Opener v Hawthorn Pre-game Hype Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to rush Greenwood IMO

Let’s gwt him super fit and running on top of the ground in the sanfl however long that takes and pick the guys super fit and in form

Squad will win us a flag and surely we know that now and are happy with our top 30
Exactly, as we have a near fit list, so crazy picking underdone players.

Further, ensures competition for places, as we then have a few forwards competing to hold their place knowing both Greenwood & Gooch should come back into the side... which is healthy.

The season is about the long game, so hopefully we have a relatively healthy list that enables us to manage players during the year, keeping them fresh & developing depth as you never know when we may need it.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
THE MIGHTY THOR said he has done twice as much work as last pre-season. Sounds like he will be cherry ripe to play the McGovern role and then spend more time in the midfield later in the season.

The advantage is that we can make a like-for-like replacement for McGovern and maintain the same structure as previous years:).

THE MIGHTY THOR said he has done twice as much work as last pre-season. Sounds like he will be cherry ripe to play the McGovern role and then spend more time in the midfield later in the season.

The advantage is that we can make a like-for-like replacement for McGovern and maintain the same structure as previous years:).

We shouldn't be aiming to replicate that structure at all for one, as how it worked is more akin to a fluke then a good idea. Secondly, Greenwood loses a lot of worth to this side if he isn't able to do the midfield work as a lot of the good he does comes from that point, with forward being a burst like weapon when he needs a rest/others like Lynch needs a rest.

There isn't any point in your suggestion at all. If Hugh plays, he has to spend the majority of his time in the midfield with forward being a rotation to rest him.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

I thought I heard the crouches on AA tonight say he'd missed a heap of preseason?
Maybe it just shows how much he's missed in the past?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We shouldn't be aiming to replicate that structure at all for one, as how it worked is more akin to a fluke then a good idea. Secondly, Greenwood loses a lot of worth to this side if he isn't able to do the midfield work as a lot of the good he does comes from that point, with forward being a burst like weapon when he needs a rest/others like Lynch needs a rest.

There isn't any point in your suggestion at all. If Hugh plays, he has to spend the majority of his time in the midfield with forward being a rotation to rest him.
It’s not his suggestion, it’s Hughs and unless you think he has gone rouge, this new role has obviously been discussed at the club.

With Brad and Sloane fit, the need for Greenwood in the middle isn’t as great, that’s not to say he won’t have runs through the middle. But he has all the tools to be a dangerous forward, he has resonable height, decent mark, opportunitistic, would be good at winning clearances in the forward line, is agile, applies good defensive pressure and can tackle.

I think it’s definitely worth a shot, there is no harm with trying it.

It’s not his suggestion, it’s Hughs and unless you think he has gone rouge, this new role has obviously been discussed at the club.

With Brad and Sloane fit, the need for Greenwood in the middle isn’t as great, that’s not to say he won’t have runs through the middle. But he has all the tools to be a dangerous forward, he has resonable height, decent mark, opportunitistic, would be good at winning clearances in the forward line, is agile, applies good defensive pressure and can tackle.

I have no doubt it has been discussed by the club, after all, there are very few ideas that aren't worth the time to discuss them. However, i'm not picturing the idea of chasing a structural set up that worked purely by dumb luck being a good idea at all.

Even with Brad, and Sloane being fit, i'd be using Greenwood in the midfield a lot. As much as he doesn't get a lot of outside ball, he is very good in the clinches, especially on the defensive side of things. Something that's going to become much more important this year to negate the initial 6-6-6 set up.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no doubt it has been discussed by the club, after all, there are very few ideas that aren't worth the time to discuss them. However, i'm not picturing the idea of chasing a structural set up that worked purely by dumb luck being a good idea at all.

Even with Brad, and Sloane being fit, i'd be using Greenwood in the midfield a lot. As much as he doesn't get a lot of outside ball, he is very good in the clinches, especially on the defensive side of things. Something that's going to become much more important this year to negate the initial 6-6-6 set up.
Hugh isn’t raising it in an interview without it being more than a discussion, so I suggest you get used to the idea.

And it’s more than just structure, you’ve ignored all that he could bring to the forward line.

I also understand he’s a strong midfielder, but you can only play 3 in there at a time and we have Crouch x 2, Sloane and Gibbs as our primary mids. Greenwood can still be a rotation though there.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

I would hope that he hasn't gone rouge, because then he would probably be transferring to the AFLW side. :)

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

You missed the sarcasm 101 course?

I have stated on numerous occasions that imho THE MIGHTY THOR is our best defensive inside midfielder. Our centre square numbers are so much better when he is in the guts. Perhaps we will resurrect the Darren Jarman plan :eek: (no need to reply, refer above).

Perhaps Hugh was trying to trick Alistair Clarkson? I suspect not. When our coaches or players say something like “Sauce is in front of ROB” what they actually mean is “Sauce is in front of ROB”. Whether you like it or not, it is very likely that TMT will play as a deep forward against the Hawks.

In the unlikely event that all of our best inside mids remain fit, some of them will have to play other roles from time to time. Our A team is likely to be Sloane, Brad and Matt. Gibbsy will probably spend some time on the wing and Dougie is likely to have very little time in the midfield. Riley Knight, Gallucci etc will mainly play in attack. I am happy to trust our coaches to find the best spot for our players but it will make it harder for TMT to win the Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
You obviously havent looked at what other teams are trying easy way is to watch or even go read the hawthorn board

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just checked the Hawthorn Board, team for round one. Out of the last 25 posters to predict the team for round one, 24 named Sicily in defence. Two questions all knowing one;

1) Did you watch all, part or none of the two Hawthorn JLT matches?

2) When will you p.m. me to accept the bet, it’s only a bottle of 2008 St Henri, you probably have a couple dozen gathering dust in your cellar.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I would upgrade that to 'very very good overhead mark'. And better yet, very good contested mark. Has a great trait of never taking his eyes off the ball regardless of what pressure is on him. In fact funnily enough the person he reminds me of when he's going for a mark is actually Erin Phillips, must be the basketball background, cause both of them seem to have a lazer scope on the ball in flight.

We only really have seen him as a midfielder, so he doesn't get to flex that muscle often enough, but if he plays 50% forward this year, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hugh right up the top of our contested marks in 2019.

In fact feel free to pencil that down as one of my big calls for this season. I'm feeling bold!

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just checked the Hawthorn Board, team for round one. Out of the last 25 posters to predict the team for round one, 24 named Sicily in defence. Two questions all knowing one;

1) Did you watch all, part or none of the two Hawthorn JLT matches?

2) When will you p.m. me to accept the bet, it’s only a bottle of 2008 St Henri, you probably have a couple dozen gathering dust in your cellar.

It would say a lot where we are if we lose to an injury ravaged hawthorn at home against a pretty much full strength Adelaide

Not bet I would take on

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would say a lot where we are if we lose to an injury ravaged hawthorn at home against a pretty much full strength Adelaide

Not bet I would take on
Focus Martyboy.

You stated that Sicily would play as a forward and anyone who disputed this hasn’t been watching the JLT PLUS the Hawthorn Bigfooty posters all agreed he would play forward this year. Despite your mocking I have said I am willing to bet he plays predominantly in defence against us.

Put up or shut up!

I admire your Trumpian qualities, make s**t up and then keep repeating it until everyone is exhausted. Perhaps YOU should check what the Hawk Bigfooty posters are saying (as you suggested to me) and stop mocking any posters who disagree with your mindless dribble.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly, as we have a near fit list, so crazy picking underdone players.

Further, ensures competition for places, as we then have a few forwards competing to hold their place knowing both Greenwood & Gooch should come back into the side... which is healthy.

The season is about the long game, so hopefully we have a relatively healthy list that enables us to manage players during the year, keeping them fresh & developing depth as you never know when we may need it.
Agree, this season has some peaks and troughs in terms of schedule too.

Challenging yet winnable opening month (HAW, SYD, GEE, NTH).
Followed by 5 rounds of more winnable games (SUNS, StK, FREO, PORT, BRIS).
Followed by 5 weeks of very challenging games with a bye round (WCE, MELB, GWS, RICH, BYE, GEEL).

I think we get through the first month of tough games then look to bring back guys like Gooch and Greenwood against some softer teams, so they are cherry ripe and confident for that vital 2nd cluster of harder games. Wouldn't mind getting ROB into the mix somewhere around the Bye rounds too. Maybe give Sauce a good 3 week break to get him fresh for the second half of the year.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Focus Martyboy.

You stated that Sicily would play as a forward and anyone who disputed this hasn’t been watching the JLT PLUS the Hawthorn Bigfooty posters all agreed he would play forward this year. Despite your mocking I have said I am willing to bet he plays predominantly in defence against us.

Put up or shut up!

I admire your Trumpian qualities, make s**t up and then keep repeating it until everyone is exhausted. Perhaps YOU should check what the Hawk Bigfooty posters are saying (as you suggested to me) and stop mocking any posters who disagree with your mindless dribble.
My guess is you get a response that is 98% nothing to do with anything you posted...

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
My guess is you get a response that is 98% nothing to do with anything you posted...
I bet it starts with ' you realise that anonymous internet posters dont know anything'' and completely missing the irony

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Agree, this season has some peaks and troughs in terms of schedule too.

Challenging yet winnable opening month (HAW, SYD, GEE, NTH).
2/2
Followed by 5 rounds of more winnable games (SUNS, StK, FREO, PORT, BRIS).
7/2
Followed by 5 weeks of very challenging games with a bye round (WCE, MELB, GWS, RICH, BYE, GEEL).
9/5

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think Greenwood will become an important centre bounce player under the 6-6-6 rule. He seems to have a great ability to win contested clearances and centre bounces have become more important this year, especially when a team has got a run on.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Focus Martyboy.

Put up or shut up!

I don't really care who starts up forward Ive stated the four big ones on numerous occasions

Roughie
Bruest
Gunston
Poppy

The other two maybe a resting ruckman sicily or whoever

the four I would stand on those are

Roughie Talia
Bruest Doedee
Gunston Harto
Poppy Milera

Laird and smith take the lesser lights unless a ruckmen comes down then maybe Harto to the ruckmen Doedee to gunston and smith to Bruest

Hawthorn proved last year their forward line is solid in finishing 4th, they will need to respect such a forward line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back