AFLW 2019 Season structure announcement at 11am AEDT today, Oct 26th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspect they'd go ~1pm Saturday timeslot for the first prelim, then maybe the same time but on Sunday for the second prelim and the grand final.

I guess this could work assuming there would be Thursday night games for the first 2 Rounds of AFL.
Example:

Round 1 AFL
Thu 7.20
Fri 7.50
Sat 3.20 4.35 7.25 7.40
Sun 3.20 4.40 7.40

AFLW Prelim Finals
Sat 12.45
Sun 12.45

Round 2 AFL
Thu 7.20
Fri 7.50
Sat 1.45 2.10 4.35 7.25 7.40
Sun 3.20 4.40

AFLW Grand Final
Sun 12.45

Shame on most people, then. Quite an insult to the contributions of Queensland, WA, etc.

They actually did say they hope the competition does expand more and have teams from those states as well.

I guess this could work assuming there would be Thursday night games for the first 2 Rounds of AFL.
Example:

Round 1 AFL
Thu 7.20
Fri 7.50
Sat 3.20 4.35 7.25 7.40
Sun 3.20 4.40 7.40

AFLW Prelim Finals
Sat 12.45
Sun 12.45

Round 2 AFL
Thu 7.20
Fri 7.50
Sat 1.45 2.10 4.35 7.25 7.40
Sun 3.20 4.40

AFLW Grand Final
Sun 12.45
The thing that would screw it up is the AFLW Dockers earning a home final, something I alluded to on the previous page. But it seems likely the league aren't worried about that.

This year, in terms of WA time, the "clean air" they had ready for such a scenario was either a 10.05am Saturday or a 7.05pm Sunday start, ie. 10.05pm for Victorian viewers (apparently those two options wouldn't hurt crowd numbers and/or ratings, going head-to-head with junior tennis is heaps riskier).

I'd have the women's grand final (and 2nd prelim) locked in at Sunday 4.05pm AEDT--should only need 115 minutes absolute max for the game itself, and the post-match could be swung over to a secondary channel if desired. Play the men's games on that day at something like 1.10pm and 1.25pm (and, in round 1, the third game as a Perth twilight fixture).

SA + NT have a VFLW team plus a few players from other states have played in the VFLW this season as well.
They actually did say they hope the competition does expand more and have teams from those states as well.
Cementing the VFLW's status as a league in which some of the best women's footballers play some of the season. Whereas the AFLW has all the best women's footballers playing all of the season. I would've thought that's the sole factor in determining which competition is more good... and stuff.

But, in terms of the big picture, what are they to do. It's interesting this has been announced before the lucrative broadcast deal has been settled on. n".

There is no lucrative broadcast deal, Foxtel and Channel 7 are prepared to pay production costs only.

There is no lucrative broadcast deal, Foxtel and Channel 7 are prepared to pay production costs only.
I guess I should've gone further and said billion-dollar broadcast deal, to really drive the point home.

If networks aren't willing to fork out considerable money to televise the longer/fairer kind of season I (and others on here) want to see, it's worth repeating my rhetorical question: what is the AFL to do.

I initially disagreed with this idea, but now that it's here, we just have to make it work.

On the plus side, the conference split ups appear to at least make some sense, juggling positions and geography.

I'd say this is really all about having a workable system for ongoing expansion - looks like we will be stuck with conferences permanently.

I guess I should've gone further and said billion-dollar broadcast deal, to really drive the point home.

If networks aren't willing to fork out considerable money to televise the longer/fairer kind of season I (and others on here) want to see, it's worth repeating my rhetorical question: what is the AFL to do.
At this point, I would almost consider the broadcasters irrelevant. The AFL should decide the schedule, and length of the season.
Keep it at cost for a couple more years. Fox will show them all, they have entire channels devoted to s**t no one watches, putting AFLW on dedicated AFL channels when there is nothing else new for them to broadcast is a no brainer.
Get 7 to broadcast what they will, 1 short AFLW match a weekend shouldn't be to hard, even with other commitments, and if there are weeks they will not, then Fox only it is.
In a few more years, when we are closer to something that resembles the full product, then negotiate with the broadcasters.
This is the AFLW Beta version, it should be at cost.

According to Caroline Wilson, Channel Seven will be broadcasting an AFLW double header every Saturday night. The first game will start at 6.30pm, followed by a second game from WA (or possibly SA or Qld) at around 8.45pm AEDT. All 5 games each round will be live on Fox Footy or Fox 503.

The full fixture will be released next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Caroline Wilson, Channel Seven will be broadcasting an AFLW double header every Saturday night. The first game will start at 6.30pm, followed by a second game from WA (or possibly SA or Qld) at around 8.45pm AEDT. All 5 games each round will be live on Fox Footy or Fox 503.

The full fixture will be released next week.
Hurry up with the fixture!!!
If the crows get 3 Sunday games at home, I’ll be committing to the highest membership for the only good seats at Norwood oval.

i just hope they ditch the opening game between carlton v collingwood especially with carlton finishing Last both yrs
give it to the [premiers each year to kick off the season

i just hope they ditch the opening game between carlton v collingwood especially with carlton finishing Last both yrs
give it to the [premiers each year to kick off the season
Collingwood is just keeping Richmond’s spot warm for 2020 ;)

Carlton put on a great show in the 2017 opener and placed 4th that year, while Collingwood finished both seasons off playing some very entertaining football. Weighing it all up, I wouldn't mind if they kicked off proceedings again--they have to play each other at some stage (well, actually they don't but that's a whole other issue). Less chance of ugly slow lockdown stuff from the Blues with Keeping out and Harford in now too, I predict.

Edit: This is all under the assumption that they'll do the extra Friday night FTA game for the season launch as previously done, but I suppose that could change too.

Carlton put on a great show in the 2017 opener and placed 4th that year, while Collingwood finished both seasons off playing some very entertaining football. Weighing it all up, I wouldn't mind if they kicked off proceedings again--they have to play each other at some stage (well, actually they don't but that's a whole other issue). Less chance of ugly slow lockdown stuff from the Blues with Keeping out and Harford in now too, I predict.

Edit: This is all under the assumption that they'll do the extra Friday night FTA game for the season launch as previously done, but I suppose that could change too.

It's hard because the teams are so incredibly unpredictable from year-to-year at the moment due to player movement, the draftees and tactical changes.

It's not like AFL where you can roughly predict good teams from last year will be around the mark - why Carlton got so many Friday night games in 2018 I don't know.

It makes sense they want to use Princes Park for an opening game due to a reasonably large crowd turning up; football drought + easy access location + likely warm weather. Princes Park means wanting to have Carlton also involved, and two Melbourne based teams also means a chance for a bigger crowd.

I think they over-estimated the crowd this year, but having a bit of a precinct to encourage people to come along, eat from some food vans, watch the game, and hope that it is a good match is about as good as we're going to get at this point.

Carlton v North Melbourne perhaps? The new team will have a reasonable amount of draw and should have a good list.

Press Conference will be at Vic.Park! Yeeeah!
Hope this means Collingwood AFLW games will be played there - a HUGE boost for the AFLW (which, due its Licence conditions, Coll. FC is supposed to be promoting the AFLW & GR female AF)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back