Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Some talk on our board about who Hutchings will tag. Names mentioned include Dangerfield, Ablett, Kelly and Stewart. Probably a couple more. Many cats to choose from!

Interested in your perspectives - who do you hate the opposition tagging on your team?

I don't recall you guys tagging much in recent times, but as for me I hate it when Shuey gets a tight tag.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe a crazy idea/suggestion:

Looking back over the first half of the season, we weren't meant to be 11-1 going into the bye, there were those who even suggested that we could be 0-8 with our start to the season - we were something of the underdog for vast stretches at the start of the season and we responded really strongly.

After the bye we were clear on top of the ladder and we were now the hunted. We were up & down across over the second half of the season, especially against teams finding that extra something when playing against the top of the ladder side.

After our loss last week, we again find ourselves as the underdog, having to do the hunting and prove ourselves. Any chance that that may actually be better for this team - backs up against the wall seemed to unite this team at the start of the season, so maybe it will again now...
Yep. Even CS's press conference had that backs against the wall feel. They all look fiercely determined right now.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Yep. Even CS's press conference had that backs against the wall feel. They all look fiercely determined right now.

They only look fiercely determined because they got found out against the pies, come game time it will be a different story and they will go to water again.

I don't think Stanley is a lock in this game. What if they bring back Henderson as a KP defender and leave Blitz in the ruck?
Please no

It's not a criticism of Blicavs because you just know that regardless of the position he is asked to play that he will go out there and give it 100% - he could be asked to play as a roving small forward, he would give a weird look to both Enright & Scott, but he would do his best but probably look out of his depth in that role.

In terms of him playing in the ruck, he goes alright as 3rd man up or pinch hitting as an in game change, but not for a full game, especially against more athletic rucks.

If they want Henderson as a kpd then drop a defender like Kolo who really wasn't good last week and seems to have not been right since his concussion. May also help Taylor if he isn't the only genuine tall defender down back

Some talk on our board about who Hutchings will tag. Names mentioned include Dangerfield, Ablett, Kelly and Stewart. Probably a couple more. Many cats to choose from!

Interested in your perspectives - who do you hate the opposition tagging on your team?

I don't recall you guys tagging much in recent times, but as for me I hate it when Shuey gets a tight tag.
Should go to Kelly. Dangerfield is untaggable.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They only look fiercely determined because they got found out against the pies, come game time it will be a different story and they will go to water again.

“Got found out” what a joke. We withdrew Stanley before the match because thunderstorms were forecasted that never eventuated. Bews injured in the warm up, Dahlhaus injured in the opening minutes, Duncan does his knee before half time, Rohan strains a hamstring, Tomahawk uncharacteristically kicks 0.4 and we still only lose by 10 points.

This board is overcome by drama queens. At the start of the year no one had us making the eight. We finished top and now everyone’s whinging about losing the first final. Take some perspective.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
“Got found out” what a joke. We withdrew Stanley before the match because thunderstorms were forecasted that never eventuated. Bews injured in the warm up, Dahlhaus injured in the opening minutes, Duncan does his knee before half time, Rohan strains a hamstring, Tomahawk uncharacteristically kicks 0.4 and we still only lose by 10 points.

This board is overcome by drama queens. At the start of the year no one had us making the eight. We finished top and now everyone’s whinging about losing the first final. Take some perspective.

So you were happy with the performance on Friday night were you? The thousands of Cats fans who flooded social media to vent their anger were they all wrong because the media said we wouldn't make the 8? Get a grip, the fact of the matter is this club is mentally weak and once again s**t the bed when it mattered most just like previous years, and yes they got found out that they were pretenders and never really in the hunt for the flag. Whatever happens from hereon whether we beat WC or not it will all come back to that Pies game and how disgusting some of our play was and how we cost ourselves a genuine shot at a prelim and flag. Anyone who thinks we beat Richmond in a prelim if we make it must be on some pretty good s**t.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

If they want some additional motivation all they need to do is tune into local radio and press over here. :(
Radio this morning was discussing how Kelly would be feeling playing his last game for Geelong , McGovern suggested Kelly should book a flight with the rest of the Eagles when they come back to Perth and straight sets is trending massively.
No doubt the Eagles are a powerful Club but certain supporters and sections of the media over here take arrogance to a new level.

I don't normally get sucked in to this crap but to be honest I'd give my left nut for us to come out and eliminate them and see the chardonnay set eat their words and choke on their caviar :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
If they want some additional motivation all they need to do is tune into local radio and press over here. :(
Radio this morning was discussing how Kelly would be feeling playing his last game for Geelong , McGovern suggested Kelly should book a flight with the rest of the Eagles when they come back to Perth and straight sets is trending massively.
No doubt the Eagles are a powerful Club but certain supporters and sections of the media over here take arrogance to a new level.

I don't normally get sucked in to this crap but to be honest I'd give my left nut for us to come out and eliminate them and see the chardonnay set eat their words and choke on their caviar :)

Only the left ;)

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
So you were happy with the performance on Friday night were you? The thousands of Cats fans who flooded social media to vent their anger were they all wrong because the media said we wouldn't make the 8? Get a grip, the fact of the matter is this club is mentally weak and once again s**t the bed when it mattered most just like previous years, and yes they got found out that they were pretenders and never really in the hunt for the flag. Whatever happens from hereon whether we beat WC or not it will all come back to that Pies game and how disgusting some of our play was and how we cost ourselves a genuine shot at a prelim and flag. Anyone who thinks we beat Richmond in a prelim if we make it must be on some pretty good s**t.

I get all that - and i can understand your frustration - everyone is frustrated with the poor starts - however one thing you have to give the team credit for - and for many years now- they dont give up - they play the game right out - in fact they motor home - quite a few of those Haw wins - they were 3-4 goals behind at 3qtr time - then finished with a wet sail - so you have to give the side credit for that

You contrast that to pre 2000 - Geelong were known as front runners for years - they would do the total opposite to today - theyd come out in the 1st half and play dazzling football - get a good lead then fall to bits - how many times that happened - too many

I have been a C Scott supporter ( credit for the 11 flag etc ) but this is his 9th year - you only have to look at Rhys Shaw at North ( i know they had the bad one at Geel - but alot of clubs do ) refreshed the joint - had some good wins - flogged Haw etc . Why they gave Scott an extension to 22 - football boards ( because its not their money ) they do dumb things - if it was a private company with their money at stake - they wouldnt give these crazy extensions

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I have been a C Scott supporter ( credit for the 11 flag etc ) but this is his 9th year - you only have to look at Rhys Shaw at North ( i know they had the bad one at Geel - but alot of clubs do ) refreshed the joint - had some good wins - flogged Haw etc . Why they gave Scott an extension to 22 - football boards ( because its not their money ) they do dumb things - if it was a private company with their money at stake - they wouldnt give these crazy extensions

I think its fair to say they went way too early on that extension and based it on home and away results, the most frustrating part about Scott is that he doesn't have the technical nouse (ala Clarkson) to make mid game strategic moves to combat teams who are on top of us, there are too many hail mary decisions based on hope, panic, ego or all of the above. The whole Stanley thing with the weather turned out to be a farce because he was apparently told about his omission at the last training session, he seems to think the entire fanbase is dumb and the entire GFC seems to back that up because they keep making excuses for him, i think the more he continues to lie and downplay important losses (ala "we arent in a form slump") then fans are going to attack him even more, and finally he needs to learn to shut his mouth, too many times especially recently he has made ridiculous comments which surely the GFC board would have cringed at (ala "Cameron didnt have an impact" after kicking 5 against us.)

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

A year ago I would have said Selwood is the player opposition clubs should tag, but nowadays even without a tag his impact isn't tremendous. The players to lock down on are Kelly and Ablett. Kelly simply because he struggles to shake a tag and GAJ because you'll want to prevent him from doing any damage on the outside.

Attempting to lock down on Dangerfield is just a waste of time and guaranteed to fail.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Hall of fame tantrum here! Maybe you’d be better of barracking for one of those clubs that makes the grand final every year... oh wait, they don’t exist, and that’s not realistic. We’re pretenders! Season’s over! I thought there was a semi final on Friday night but looks like you won’t be catching it!

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Think and hope you win well this week. Very few top 4 teams go out in straight sets, so I’m surprised at the people jumping on West Coasts bandwagon.
Playing Richmond in a prelim won’t be so bad for you guys as you match up well on them. I’m tipping a Geelong v Collingwood granny to eventuate.
Go Cats!

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hall of fame tantrum here! Maybe you’d be better of barracking for one of those clubs that makes the grand final every year... oh wait, they don’t exist, and that’s not realistic. We’re pretenders! Season’s over! I thought there was a semi final on Friday night but looks like you won’t be catching it!

Im entitled to voice my opinion, doesn't mean you have to like it and I can appreciate that, my point is if it had happened once it wouldn't cut so much but the fact that its almost a given these days that we will s**t the bed because it has happened so many times constantly it ruins the interest I and many others have in the games which is sad. As i said above the complete lack of accountability the club takes for the constant losses/poor performance/poor decisions is really disheartening and likely wont change while the current administration is in power. I hope they do come out and show some heart and put in a performance worthy of a top of the ladder team, however my confidence in the group to get it done is not high.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Think and hope you win well this week. Very few top 4 teams go out in straight sets, so I’m surprised at the people jumping on West Coasts bandwagon.
Playing Richmond in a prelim won’t be so bad for you guys as you match up well on them. I’m tipping a Geelong v Collingwood granny to eventuate.
Go Cats!

We do? How so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back