Preview 2019 Semi Final v West Coast

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that explains early wins over the pies and tigers at the ‘G...
More seriously, I think that as the season progressed we seemed to revert to a KP game style.

Actually, Finey made a related argument on Footyology this week. Basically, KP home advantage + father/sons + Danger-go-home = inflated H&A win ratio + finals losses + slim draft pickings.

Scott has a significantly higher H&A win ratio than Clarkson. Sort of proves a point, doesn’t it.
Yep-although the father/sons are having a pretty reduced impact now. We won 8 games away from K.Park this year and that’s really why we are on top. I doubt any other team in the comp managed 8 away wins this year. Most teams build their seasons on home ground wins. Some people like to make a fuss about Geelong’s home games because apparently we are the only team that has a home ground advantage!
Hawks don’t seem to really have dominating seasons-they just go well in September.
Think there is something in the ground dimensions though but what can be done about it? Train permanently on Deakin? The club has decided, rightly or wrongly, that they are up for the battle to make K.Park an increased h&a venue, and a finals venue.

Last edited:
More seriously, I think that as the season progressed we seemed to revert to a KP game style.

Actually, Finey made a related argument on Footyology this week. Basically, KP home advantage + father/sons + Danger-go-home = inflated H&A win ratio + finals losses + slim draft pickings.

Scott has a significantly higher H&A win ratio than Clarkson. Sort of proves a point, doesn’t it.

We rolled out basically there same style against the Pies in R1 as we did in the QF. And it's becoming pretty heavily exaggerated in terms of how bad the loss was.

On top of that, the idea that you'd want to create two radically different gamestyles for two stadia is absurd. AFL structures have way too many moving pieces to justify that big an investment of time and resources when you could just make smaller changes to your actual plan instead.

We rolled out basically there same style against the Pies in R1 as we did in the QF. And it's becoming pretty heavily exaggerated in terms of how bad the loss was.

On top of that, the idea that you'd want to create two radically different gamestyles for two stadia is absurd. AFL structures have way too many moving pieces to justify that big an investment of time and resources when you could just make smaller changes to your actual plan instead.

I give you this ... if we kick every single goal we should have ..it would have looked better..

FSons thing ..is surely froma the previous era we have not had a good one for a long time..

I give you this ... if we kick every single goal we should have ..it would have looked better..
It all comes down to not being able to execute the basic skills in finals. Intent is there. The leaders/experienced players better stand up tonight. If Hawkins kicks 0.4 again or misses a shot from 10 meters I'm going to lose it.

It all comes down to not being able to execute the basic skills in finals. Intent is there. The leaders/experienced players better stand up tonight. If Hawkins kicks 0.4 again or misses a shot from 10 meters I'm going to lose it.

At the start of the year ..we could not miss..and the style was less important.. scoring created confidence..and we flowed better being more relaxed.. the finals and then the misses ..just had a treacle affect..

Yep-although the father/sons are having a pretty reduced impact now. We won 8 games away from K.Park this year and that’s really why we are on top. I doubt any other team in the comp managed 8 away wins this year. Most teams build their seasons on home ground wins. Some people like to make a fuss about Geelong’s home games because apparently we are the only team that has a home ground advantage!
Hawks don’t seem to really have dominating seasons-they just go well in September.
Think there is something in the ground dimensions though but what can be done about it? Train permanently on Deakin? The club has decided, rightly or wrongly, that they are up for the battle to make K.Park an increased h&a venue, and a finals venue.

The deakin thing , mcg sized ground is just trying to massage the problem. If we play a more direct game style , less an issue. Every ground has a straight line between the goals..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say I'm quite surprised by everyone in the media pumping up the Eagles for not only this week, but the rest of the finals. This is the same team that Hawthorn flogged by 7-goals in the last round when the Eagles were playing for a top 4 spot. They are massively overrated this year IMO. If we play something that can resemble half decent footy, we will get this done tonight. They're nothing special and certainly not to be feared.

I must say I'm quite surprised by everyone in the media pumping up the Eagles for not only this week, but the rest of the finals. This is the same team that Hawthorn flogged by 7-goals in the last round when the Eagles were playing for a top 4 spot. They are massively overrated this year IMO. If we play something that can resemble half decent footy, we will get this done tonight. They're nothing special and certainly not to be feared.
Hawks beat us too this season. So maybe we're overrated as well?

Clearly it's been a quiet week on the football front with little to talk about :cool:

Time to move to the game day thread folks

A certain Allen Christensen may have played one or two previously as well...
And speaking of AC, he was pretty good. Took one mark against two tigers on the wing that reminded me of his great moment in the 2011 GF. He also showed the rest how to put it through the big sticks as well.

Yes...he can play......

Another thing I noticed was Geelong players gave him little time when the game concluded....cursory recognition only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back