Resource 2019 Shanghai game - lead up info, photos, videos, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

On advice of Ford I have started this thread to separate the 2019 game information from the general China strategy/info thread. We will have a separate preview, game day and review threads, but this is more for the general info re ticketing, getting to Shanghai, accommodation, things to do there etc. Basically this is the build up thread. I wont be going but some of the people I travelled with in 2017 are returning for the game.

The 3 year game announcement thread is here and is mainly discussions in October when the game was announced.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/port-vs-st-kilda-in-shanghai-2019-2021.1208005/

A Saint's supporter, Van Demon started this thread to ask some general questions so check out this thread as well as it has some basic travel info and Q&A about Shanghai.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/shanghai-game-v-saints-2019.1213823/

There will be 40 Festival of Australia events leading up to this game starting from 20 May so if I find info about them I will put it in here.

1554875858452.png
1554875880875.png

Ticketing and events info

https://shanghai2019.com.au/?camefrom=EMCL_2840727_134867670

Gav and Nick Reiwoldt visiting Shanghai to promote the game

Last edited:

AFL, Kennedy enter China partnership to progress the game
AUSTRALIA'S leading luxury retail brand, Kennedy, today announced its partnership of the Australian Football League's China game and operations until at least the end of the 2021 season.
The partnership will establish Kennedy's position as an 'Official Match Day Partner', with teams playing for the 'Kennedy Cup' over the next three years.
Kennedy Executive Chairman James Kennedy said the agreement would help foster continued development of the game in both China and among Australia's growing Chinese community.
"To be able to support the AFL in the promotion and delivery of our great game into China is a significant sponsorship for Kennedy and one we are proud to be part of," Mr Kennedy said.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-14/afl-kennedy-enter-china-partnership-to-progress-the-game

Wonder what Port know about this?

for the last couple of years photos of the game only show 1 side of the ground … and the cows supporters pay us out about the so called lack of people at the game ...

this year those that go to the game... can you take pictures of the crowd (all around the ground) … as well as the game … so we can shut up the idiots on the other page (when they do their usual crap about the game)

..... this year those that go to the game... can you take pictures of the crowd (all around the ground) … as well as the game … so we can shut up the idiots on the other page (when they do their usual crap about the game)
So where do I start? A sarcastic "Yeah, that'll work."? Or an explanation that the game has so far been capped* at 10,000 and actually is pretty empty?
It's a rectangular military parade ground that is shortened and has large empty rounded corners to make the playing area a bit rounded. You could probably double the amount of people allowed in but it will still look like a crowd from one of our Footy Park games from 2012.

* No I don't know who by but would expect it's local government.

Getting late in the day for organising visas etc but this year the Chinese government has a Visa Application Service Centre in Adelaide, at Suite 1.2, Level 1, 33 King William Street.

Getting late in the day for organising visas etc but this year the Chinese government has a Visa Application Service Centre in Adelaide, at Suite 1.2, Level 1, 33 King William Street.
Yes I sent my visa off to Canberra like last year and they promptly sent it back to me and told me to go through Adelaide or Melbourne

Yes I sent my visa off to Canberra like last year and they promptly sent it back to me and told me to go through Adelaide or Melbourne
That's how I found out. Although the phone call I received did not give Melbourne as an option, not that that matters.
Sort of puzzling because this page says Canberra services SA. Then even when you look deeper Adelaide is hidden within the information on the Melbourne centre.

That's how I found out. Although the phone call I received did not give Melbourne as an option, not that that matters.
Sort of puzzling because this page says Canberra services SA. Then even when you look deeper Adelaide is hidden within the information on the Melbourne centre.
Exactly, totally contradicts itself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is bizarre standing on glass 400m above the ground and moving them off the steel rail as they do in this video.

We are supposed to do this.... with my 8yo whom has a fear of lifts after watching die hard one night :think:

That glass floor is certainly intimidating but definitely worth a visit. As the Tower is very popular, the tourist friendly staff ensure the elevator is packed to the maximum and a few moreo_O.

The 360 view is stunning.:)
With the obvious caveat that smoggy days are more common than clear ones and consequently you get what you get with the view.

If you are going to Shanghai for the first time here are a few tips from Gav and Nick. Some basic stuff

The cabbies will get you despite what they say

If you are going to Shanghai for the first time here are a few tips from Gav and Nick ...
Good on them for promoting the practical stuff.
3 day swipe card tickets for the subway (Metro) are great value, so easy to get everywhere. The Maglev is brilliant, but those who use it have to have some ability to navigate from the Longyang Road terminus. The Metro has an adjacent station but it could all be daunting for 1st timers.
Of course cheap and easily found taxis are another option but make sure you have the address of the place you want to go written out in Chinese to show the driver, and make sure you have enough cash to cover the journey. EFTPOS card use is much, much less prevalent in China than Oz and I don't recall any taxi using it.
Install translation software on your phone (e.g. Google Translate) and download the Chinese language pack i.e. don't count on your phone being able to access the net for this. And practice using it e.g. find some Chinese signs on the net and have the phone translate them.

Something a little different to see in Shanghai is the Longhua Memorial Park of Revolutionary Martyrs. Photogenic Stalinist-style sculpture and something for the history buffs. Though of course the history is that of the Communist Party's fight with the occupying Japanese, which morphed into a civil war with the Nationalists once the Japanese were gone.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back