News 2019 signings and other news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dystopia

Senior List
May 22, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL site reporting that Goldcoast Suns will pick up Sam Fletcher from Boxhill, as one of their pre season avaiable selections.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Box Hill should look into getting Mitch Riordan (Dand-overager) into the squad and maybe Finlay Bayne a mid/forw also from (Dand) imo

but yes, losing Sam Fletcher is a shame, i was looking forward to seeing him in action for BHH this year, good luck to him at Gold Coast then i guess.

Last edited:

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was also looking forward to Sam Fletcher play at Box Hill.
If the GCS pick him up then we loose him and do we just grab a replacement as he was a ball magnet at Dandy.

I'm not sure how it works and if he wants to go to Gold Coast then I wish him all the best.
I guess if he didn't want to move he could say no but getting on an AFL list is most players dream.
I was surprised he didn't get drafted and was happy Box Hill picked him up.

GreggyJ

Draftee
Mar 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Box Hill should look into getting Mitch Riordan (Dand-overager) into the squad and maybe Finlay Bayne a mid/forw also from (Dand) imo

but yes, losing Sam Fletcher is a shame, i was looking forward to seeing him in action for BHH this year, good luck to him at Gold Coast then i guess.
I’ve seen young Finlay Bayne training with the tigers .

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorn listed –

Walker – Struggled to find a way to get involved. Went for his pack marks, but the packs were a bit heavy and although he got hands to a few he didn’t take any. Did take a couple out in front on the hit up – the second resulting in a lovely long set shot goal.

Ross – a very Ross like game, a couple of sightings of something a little special, but largely invisible. Does seem to have tunnel vision near the sticks. Snapped one nice goal.

Golds – Lots of ball out wide or on the end of a clearance. Mostly used it very nicely too, apart from one obvious turnover. Does get a lot of his touches out wide but often sends his disposals back into the corridor.

Miles – Box Hill’s Glenn Maxwell. Super creative and plays with flair. But it can be all or nothing. Today he was great, his willingness to take the game on created 3 of our goals in the 3rd qtr. Ran hard all game. One of our best today.

Glass – To be fair he won a lot of contests and generally used it well. Just looks a little lazy with his passing sometimes and it cost us badly one time. He’s almost thereabouts, but he doesn’t look like he’s got the next step in him at present.

Pittonet – Worked really hard, doing all the hard, un-pretty stuff. Crashed a lot of packs around the wings and flanks, smashed it out of bounds in a heap of contests. Tackled well, and got his share of little hand passes and tap ons, smothers and shepherds. Some sublime taps at the centre bounces too, had a big hand in getting it going our way in the second half. One of our best, opposite of his effort last week.

Mohr – not great. Poor defensively early on, but even in the 2nd half he made some woeful disposal decisions. Not sure he’s the answer if Frawley goes down, not on this showing anyway.

Greaves – a lot to like, especially when Richmond were all over us in the first qtr, he stood up quite well. Seems to have a knack of finding the pill in a one on one scuffle and somehow dishing off under pressure. Workman like, but also tidy skills.

Schoenmakers – Slotted himself behind the ball after Richmond kicked the first four and helped stem the tide for the rest of that first qtr. Didn’t do a lot else until the 2nd half when he got a bit more of it around the ground and also took a superb mark in the goal square in the 3rd. Appeared to take another cracking contested mark in the last that wasn’t paid for some reason. Not bad for his first hit out in a while.

Box Hill standouts –

Andrew Moore was excellent after qtr time. Willed himself to the ball in the packs and got it going our way repeatedly.

Meadows started well, a bit more subdued after qtr time. Sam Fletcher looked lively early as well. Kilpatrick had a good second half, but all of the lads played well after half time. Mason De Witt looks an athletic defender, took some nice marks and got involved a lot.

Apart from the occasional hit out and one or two neat handballs, unfortunately Reeves was largely useless.

Patrick or ‘Paddy’ Anderson, I potted at qtr time for 3 really weak efforts. Well he made amends with some better play, but then took short steps twice more in the last qtr. I’d never heard of him before today so it’s not a pre-conceived notion on my part, and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he ain’t normally like that. But 5 really obvious ‘didn’t go when it was his turn’ efforts in one single match? Yikes.

Mascitti from Port is a great pick up. Our old NGA kid Tristain Tweedie, who ended up at the Dogs for a year, looks ready for the level – good size and athleticism. Nathan Boucher looks like he’s ready to take over from Billy Murphy. He looked really dangerous.

Lachie Walker was handy, got involved in some of our best passages. After playing CHB in all the previous times I’ve seen him, today he played out of the centre square almost all of his game time, and was involved in a lot of clearances our way.

Max Bailey’s comments after the Richmond practice match on the 9 Hawthorn listed players can be found at:
https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-03-13/vfl-player-by-player-practice-match

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Didn’t see this game but from JLT Agree with baileys comment that Mohr doesn’t get beaten. It what happens after. Ball comes to ground and forward crumbers lap it up, or he disposed of it not in the hawks game plan.

Let’s see if he can tidy up

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The concerns I had from what I saw against the Tiges at Punt Road, was more along the line of several panicked kicks (one straight out on the full and another straight to an oppo player with no Hawk anywhere near), and the occasional panicked handball blindly up the line.

In those moments, I thought to myself we don't want this guy anywhere near our AFL side.

However there were other moments where he nullified contests well, and a couple of times he even stepped through traffic with real composure.

A few good articles on the BHH website:
http://boxhillhawks.com.au/byrne-ready-to-fire/
http://boxhillhawks.com.au/dewit-the-fit-for-the-hawks/
http://boxhillhawks.com.au/moore-to-lead-the-hawks-into-2019/

Our AFL affiliation makes it a challenge to recruit players however we have attracted some talented mature and young footballers due to our very good reputation for developing players. I'm looking forward to another successful year watching the Mustang Hawkers in action.

The Casey v BHH practice match will be played on Sunday 24th March at 12 PM.
The final practice match is Werribee v BHH on Saturday 30th March at 2 PM

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently we got overrun in the second half and lost by a couple of goals.

Worst news is that Tim Mohr (according to a Demonland poster who spoke to our doc) has dislocated his knee and broken both tibula and fibula. Worst injury the doc has seen. :(

blangers51

Debutant
Aug 25, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Worst news is that Tim Mohr (according to a Demonland poster who spoke to our doc) has dislocated his knee and broken both tibula and fibula. Worst injury the doc has seen. :(
I was there. He was in heaps of pain. The game stopped for 25 mins until the ambulance could get onto the ground. The knee was bent the wrong way. Most likely career ending.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was there. He was in heaps of pain. The game stopped for 25 mins until the ambulance could get onto the ground. The knee was bent the wrong way. Most likely career ending.
Sounds bloody awful.

Can you give us a rundown of who played and how they went?

blangers51

Debutant
Aug 25, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sounds bloody awful.

Can you give us a rundown of who played and how they went?
I left at half time but there were plenty of hawthorn listed players. Will golds looks good. Has speed and doesn't panic kick. Could be a decent player. Mitch Lewis took a couple of good contested grabs up the ground and kicked a set shot from outside 50. M walker also looked ok. Brand and O'Brien didn't do much. d Howe found plenty of the ball and seamed to have plenty of time. There were a few others that played well but I can't remember which ones.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Terrible news for Mohr.
Just the irony of him probably playing the side he got drafted from for the 1st time, may be his last game.

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Not sure whether it’s as bad as you say - hopefully not.
Knee put back in place and he’s discharged from hospital (but to have further scans).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back