Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can go through the midfield. I expect he’ll play about 60/40 midfield at the Championships. He won’t at SANFL level though, not in league games.

I’d have him in Fremantle’s side next week as a medium forward. One of those guys who can play taller and be the deepest forward. Obviously we picked up Sturt last year, but they could play together.
Sounds good. I think the club has the wing/midfield in mind for Sturt so I think we need a genuine medium forward. Plus as you say, you can easily play two quality medium forwards if you have them.

I know this thread is about the South Australians...but I should post my overall top 30 before the Championships really gets going. It does have an SA feel to it at least.

1. Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)

2. Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)

3. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from SA)

4. Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

5. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)

6. Lachlan Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)

7. Jeremy Sharp (187cm, 79kg from WA)

8. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)

9. Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)

10. Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)

11. Sam Flanders (182cm, 81kg from Vic Country)

12. Dylan Williams (185cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)

13. Josh Worrell (195cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)

14. Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)

15. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from SA)

16. Mitch O’Neill (181cm, 70kg from Tasmania)

17. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from SA)

18. Charlie Dean (194cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)

19. Liam Henry (179cm, 67kg from WA)

20. Caleb Serong (178cm, 83kg from Vic Country)

21. Deven Robertson (182cm, 80kg from WA)

22. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from SA)

23. Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

24. Fischer McAsey (195cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)

25. Darcy Cassar (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)

26. Liam Delahunty (192cm, 90kg from NSW/ACT)

27. Trent Rivers (188cm, 85kg from WA)

28. Nick Bryan (202cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)

29. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from SA)

30. Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg from SA)

I know this thread is about the South Australians...but I should post my overall top 30 before the Championships really gets going. It does have an SA feel to it at least.

I see you have Josh Morris there at 30. What is his fitness like? I've heard that it isn't the best, will this impact his nationals chances?

I see you have Josh Morris there at 30. What is his fitness like? I've heard that it isn't the best, will this impact his nationals chances?

I always sneak a couple of extra South Australians into my lists. With Morris, he’s come from a fair way back this year to put himself in the frame for selection. I don’t have any of his testing numbers on me, but it’s not something that would really impact his chances. Him kicking goals is all that matters.

He’ll get a real opportunity to put his name out there at the Championships. He could go top 30, or he might miss out completely. We’ll know in about a months time.

Chris - I am interested in your reasoning around Luke Jackson and where you have him, as I am confused in my own mind.

On one hand he has not done "much" except throw up lots of hitouts and decent numbers at a colts level, which he did last year, plus reasonably impressive but not totally eye diverting championships (To the naked eye he appears to be a "basketballer" type ruck; mobile and agile with good hands and reasonable kick). This combined with a recent history showing a declining interest by clubs to draft talls early would suggest to me that he will go 20s-40s with a median value around 33.

On the other hand, taking it from a freo-like perspective (and assuming we get lucky with Henry for a pick outside the first round) then rhetorically asking what is best available in the 10s - 15s I end up concluding that it would be very handy to have a very mobile and agile ruck with reasonably good skill levels, and it seems that Luke Jackson is the obvious answer.

Thoughts?

He can go through the midfield. I expect he’ll play about 60/40 midfield at the Championships. He won’t at SANFL level though, not in league games.

I’d have him in Fremantle’s side next week as a medium forward. One of those guys who can play taller and be the deepest forward. Obviously we picked up Sturt last year, but they could play together.
Unfortunately for you guys I think Cam will be gone before you. Looks almost a certainty that the Crows will have pick 1 and everything I’m hearing has them taking him

Chris - I am interested in your reasoning around Luke Jackson and where you have him, as I am confused in my own mind.

On one hand he has not done "much" except throw up lots of hitouts and decent numbers at a colts level, which he did last year, plus reasonably impressive but not totally eye diverting championships (To the naked eye he appears to be a "basketballer" type ruck; mobile and agile with good hands and reasonable kick). This combined with a recent history showing a declining interest by clubs to draft talls early would suggest to me that he will go 20s-40s with a median value around 33.

On the other hand, taking it from a freo-like perspective (and assuming we get lucky with Henry for a pick outside the first round) then rhetorically asking what is best available in the 10s - 15s I end up concluding that it would be very handy to have a very mobile and agile ruck with reasonably good skill levels, and it seems that Luke Jackson is the obvious answer.

Thoughts?

Yeah rucks are always the hardest to fit in, and I really didn't know what to do with Luke Jackson. If I was solely projecting draft position, I perhaps wouldn't have had him as high - as you said, largely due to recent draft history. But based on purely talent and potential, it's hard to have Jackson outside the top 15 and he arguably should be higher. I think he's the best ruck in the draft, and could develop into that Paddy Ryder like ruck - slightly undersized compared to others, but almost an extra midfielder and I think he could also become a capable key forward.

He could also benefit from a lack of elite tall talent in the draft. I think Worrell and Dean have potential, but the only talls I would consider 'safe' are key defenders. So if a club does project Jackson as having forward ability too, he could rise quickly.

Hopefully he has a dominant Champs and clears it up a bit, because it could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if clubs picking after the top 10 have him at the top of their 'best available' list but talk themselves into going in another direction.

Round 8

Good games from the three league players, with Mead continuing to push for a debut. Damon Freitag perhaps the pick of the rest, putting his name back into the mix for the ruck/key forward spot.

League
Will Gould - 19 touches, 7 marks, 5 rebound 50s
Dylan Stephens - 25 touches, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s
Cameron Taheny - 9 touches, 6 marks, 5 goals

Reserves
Angus Rana - 6 touches, 29 hitouts
Dyson Hilder - 9 touches, 4 marks
Brady Searle - 16 touches, 6 clearances, 8 inside 50s
Declan Carmody - 12 touches, 8 tackles
Jackson Mead - 22 touches, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Darnell Tucker - 19 touches, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s
Daniel Sladojevic - 14 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal
Oliver Grivell - 14 touches, 4 rebound 50s
Josh Shute - 14 touches, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
Jed McEntee - 15 touches, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 1 goal
Lachlan Burrows - 10 touches, 7 tackles, 14 hitouts, 1 goal
Jordan O'Brien - 13 touches, 4 tackles

U18s
Harrison Magor - 37 touches, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 7 clearances
Luke Edwards - 26 touches, 11 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Callum Park - 22 touches, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50s
Corey Durdin - 28 touches, 7 marks, 7 inside 50s
Jack Carpenter - 24 touches, 8 marks, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Riley Thilthorpe - 18 touches, 5 marks, 6 rebound 50s
Tom Rundle - 13 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Damon Freitag - 15 touches, 8 marks, 15 hitouts, 5 clearances, 3 goals
Harry Schoenberg - 25 touches, 5 tackles, 7 clearances
Jamie Coff - 19 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals

Yeah rucks are always the hardest to fit in, and I really didn't know what to do with Luke Jackson. If I was solely projecting draft position, I perhaps wouldn't have had him as high - as you said, largely due to recent draft history. But based on purely talent and potential, it's hard to have Jackson outside the top 15 and he arguably should be higher. I think he's the best ruck in the draft, and could develop into that Paddy Ryder like ruck - slightly undersized compared to others, but almost an extra midfielder and I think he could also become a capable key forward.

He could also benefit from a lack of elite tall talent in the draft. I think Worrell and Dean have potential, but the only talls I would consider 'safe' are key defenders. So if a club does project Jackson as having forward ability too, he could rise quickly.

Hopefully he has a dominant Champs and clears it up a bit, because it could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if clubs picking after the top 10 have him at the top of their 'best available' list but talk themselves into going in another direction.

That is exactly how I see him and same comparative player as well in Ryder - yes hopefully the championships will clear it up.

Whats your thoughts on Jack Carpenter at Centrals. Seems to be playing as a big midfielder and getting good numbers. Think he's seen as a forward in state squad though?

Unfortunately for you guys I think Cam will be gone before you. Looks almost a certainty that the Crows will have pick 1 and everything I’m hearing has them taking him

Bar a disastrous injury or them saying I’ll be heading to Geelong at the end of my contract, I can’t see anyone outside of Rowell and Anderson going at one.

Taheny looks a jet, high yield but low production though so his championship will be important to show he can get enough of it.

Currently he is almost underrated by the vic centric watchers, which is understandable. He would be in that 3-10 range.

Round 1

League
Will Gould - 24 touches, 3 marks, 11 rebound 50s
Oliver Grivell - 10 touches, 4 marks

Reserves
Anzac Lochowiak - 24 touches, 9 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Jed McEntee - 21 touches, 9 tackles, 5 clearances
Joshua Shute - 13 touches, 7 marks, 5 inside 50s, 4 rebound 50s
Dylan Stephens - 36 touches, 12 clearances, 1 goal
Cameron Taheny - 16 touches, 9 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal
Damon Freitag - 11 touches, 5 marks, 7 hitouts, 2 goals
Daniel Sladojevic - 6 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Oliver Shaw - 11 touches, 5 tackles, 5 rebound 50s
Jackson Mead - 26 touches, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 1 goal
Kysaiah Pickett - 16 touches, 3 tackles, 6 goals

Hard to go past Kysaiah Pickett with his 6 goals as being the best of the Reserves players this week, along with Dylan Stephens of course.

U18s
Harrison Magor - 28 touches, 7 tackles, 13 clearances, 4 inside 50s
Lachlan McNeil - 25 touches, 8 tackles, 12 clearances, 1 goal
Jamie Coff - 10 touches, 7 marks, 15 hitouts, 4 goals
Corey Durdin - 16 touches, 9 clearances, 6 inside 50s
Zachary Dumesny - 17 touches, 5 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Will Day - 35 touches, 11 marks, 5 tackles, 7 rebound 50s
Jye Sinderberry - 19 touches, 5 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Cooper Horsnell - 16 touches, 4 tackles, 1 goal

Keep an eye on Harrison Magor this year, I suspect he'll feature at the Championships for SA through the midfield and half back. Jamie Coff is another who could be an important player up forward.
What are freitags chances of getting drafted??

Round 8

Good games from the three league players, with Mead continuing to push for a debut. Damon Freitag perhaps the pick of the rest, putting his name back into the mix for the ruck/key forward spot.

League
Will Gould - 19 touches, 7 marks, 5 rebound 50s
Dylan Stephens - 25 touches, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50s
Cameron Taheny - 9 touches, 6 marks, 5 goals

Reserves
Angus Rana - 6 touches, 29 hitouts
Dyson Hilder - 9 touches, 4 marks
Brady Searle - 16 touches, 6 clearances, 8 inside 50s
Declan Carmody - 12 touches, 8 tackles
Jackson Mead - 22 touches, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Darnell Tucker - 19 touches, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s
Daniel Sladojevic - 14 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal
Oliver Grivell - 14 touches, 4 rebound 50s
Josh Shute - 14 touches, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 1 goal
Jed McEntee - 15 touches, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 1 goal
Lachlan Burrows - 10 touches, 7 tackles, 14 hitouts, 1 goal
Jordan O'Brien - 13 touches, 4 tackles

U18s
Harrison Magor - 37 touches, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 7 clearances
Luke Edwards - 26 touches, 11 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Callum Park - 22 touches, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50s
Corey Durdin - 28 touches, 7 marks, 7 inside 50s
Jack Carpenter - 24 touches, 8 marks, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Riley Thilthorpe - 18 touches, 5 marks, 6 rebound 50s
Tom Rundle - 13 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Damon Freitag - 15 touches, 8 marks, 15 hitouts, 5 clearances, 3 goals
Harry Schoenberg - 25 touches, 5 tackles, 7 clearances
Jamie Coff - 19 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals

couple of injuries out of the round from West Adelaide. Tom Rundle (ACL) and Riley Thilthorpe (Ankle)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SA U18s had a trial match against the U20s on Friday night...

SA U18 2.3 5.5 8.8 10.14 (74)
SA U20 1.2 2.2 4.4 5.10 (40)
BEST –
SA U18: Burrows, Mead, Stephens, Shute, Pickett, Tucker.
SA U20: Davis, Rigney, Payne, Voss, Milsom, Johnston.

GOALS –
SA U18: Taheny, Coff 2, Pickett, Tucker, Shute, Schoenberg, Morris, Searle.
SA U20: Johnston 3, Rigney, Neagle.

I didn't get to see it, and haven't really heard much about it or how the team lined up. Lachlan Burrows was named as BOG, I'm interested whether he played in the ruck or not. He's a 19 year old, 195cm and 95kg with excellent fitness from his decathlete past. If he keeps performing well, I think clubs will look at him as someone with big upside.

Been a little while since I've taken a stab at an SA side...

b: Jordan O'Brien - Dyson Hilder - Oliver Grivell
hb: Will Gould - Karl Finlay - Joshua Shute
c: Luke Edwards - Jackson Mead - Brady Searle
hf: Kysaiah Pickett - Daniel Sladojevic - Cameron Taheny
f: Josh Morris - Jamie Coff - Darnell Tucker
r: Lachlan Burrows - Dylan Stephens - Harry Schoenberg
i: Angus Rana - Will Day - Damon Freitag - Jed McEntee - Cooper Horsnell

Not sure about the ruck spots or if both Rana and Freitag would play, SA tended to prefer the smaller and more mobile ruck last year. So I've covered all bases with them on the bench. There's a few players I like who I've left out, so wouldn't be too disappointed if I was wrong.

I didn't get to see it, and haven't really heard much about it or how the team lined up. Lachlan Burrows was named as BOG, I'm interested whether he played in the ruck or not. He's a 19 year old, 195cm and 95kg with excellent fitness from his decathlete past. If he keeps performing well, I think clubs will look at him as someone with big upside.

Not sure about the ruck spots or if both Rana and Freitag would play, SA tended to prefer the smaller and more mobile ruck last year. So I've covered all bases with them on the bench. There's a few players I like who I've left out, so wouldn't be too disappointed if I was wrong.

So are you expecting thilthorpes ankle to keep him out of champs or just didn’t want to pick him over others?

So are you expecting thilthorpes ankle to keep him out of champs or just didn’t want to pick him over others?

Believe he’ll miss the Champs and potentially longer. Definitely the most talented of the rucks, but not a guarantee he would have played I feel. The coaches could have gone the longer term route and developed him as a KPP in the SANFL instead.

I would have Anzac Lochowiak in my side.

Anzac was one of the few squad players to line up in the SANFL this week. I only counted him and one or two others. Does it mean something? Maybe. Or maybe not.
Yeah not sure what that means. Maybe his fitness is a bit lacking. As far as skillset goes he is unique in the SA team. Has x factor, can kick goals and is very strong in his core. Cant see him not getting games this year.
I think Zac Dumesny could get a few games as well.

Good hit out by SA u18 on Friday night. Match report from SANFL

Torrens University SA U18 defeat SA U20

By ZAC MILBANK
The Torrens University SA U18 team has tuned up for its opening AFL National Championship match with a solid win against the SA U20 team at Thebarton Oval on Friday night.

Leading at every change, Tony Bamford’s charges continued to increase their advantage before eventually winning by a comfortable margin of 34 points.
Sturt’s Lachlan Burrows, a former Decathlete, was named best for the SA U18s, who were also well served by Norwood’s Dylan Stephens as well as Eagles Jackson Mead and Kysaiah Pickett.
Redleg Cam Taheny, who booted five goals in his last outing with Norwood’s League team, and Eagle Jamie Coff, were the only multiple goal scorers with two each.
Coached by North Reserves premiership mentor Jacob Surjan, the SA U20 team’s best was Glenelg’s Sam Davis while Sturt’s Casey Voss, who made his Statewide Super League debut last Sunday, was also prominent.
Norwood’s Daniel Johnston was the leading goal kicker on the ground with three for the U20 side.
The Torrens University SA U18 team will begin its campaign with Game 1 against Western Australia at Optus Stadium next Saturday (June 15) as the curtain-raiser to the Fremantle v Port Adelaide AFL match.
SA U18 2.3 5.5 8.8 10.14 (74)
SA U20 1.2 2.2 4.4 5.10 (40)

BEST – SA U18: Burrows, Mead, Stephens, Shute, Pickett, Tucker.
SA U20: Davis, Rigney, Payne, Voss, Milsom, Johnston.
GOALS – SA U18: Taheny, Coff 2, Pickett, Tucker, Shute, Schoenberg, Morris, Searle.
SA U20: Johnston 3, Rigney, Neagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back