2019 Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was a thoroughly disappointing end to what I think was a positive season. We had our challenges, starting with turning over half our squad, and then getting a season ending injury to one of the remaining 2018 squad members in Madi Browne, and a late start to another of our returning 2018 squad members in Matilda Garrett, also due to injury (I think in our first game of the season 7 out of 10 players were not with the team last year). By the end of the season it looked like we were clicking and we got some big wins over some good opponents late in the season, and our late charge to the finals resulted in a well earned finals birth.

I think our offseason recruiting leading into 2019 was strong with all our recruits showing something, though I think the jury is still out on Sinclair as a back up goaler. It was interesting that once the season started we rarely went to our bench and with Madi Browne going down, our bench players had very little flexibility, Garrett only seems to play GD and Sinclair only seems to play GA. The positional move of the year for me was switching Brazill and Ravallion with both players and the team benefiting from the move, with us able to use Brazill's flare over the whole court whilst Ravallion was a very good defender, with the flexibility to move to centre if we needed her.

Poi was a good last minute replacement for Madi Browne, whom you would hope be available for next season. It will be interesting to see if we stick with her as a replacement for Kelsey who you would expect to miss most of next year (all if they move the season forward to start earlier) or if we go fishing for a bigger named replacement given we have more time, and there is potentially more talent available through the offseason. To me our bench players of Poi, Garrett and Sinclair would be the most vulnerable to replacement if we were to make changes to our squad, given the lack of flexibility they offer coming off the bench.

Personally though, I would like to see minimal changes this offseason and give this squad the opportunity to build off of the work from the 2019 season. The other thing I wanted to mention before I sign off on this very long post, is that it was obvious this season that our coach Rob Wright has had more buy in from our players than our previous coach did, and that the results later in the season was as much about the players playing for him than anything. I do think he has brought a level of harmony to the group that makes me look at our netball squad and think that they area team, something that I didn't get off the group last year.

Be interested in your thoughts toxic

Anyway, thanks for those who took an interest in the Collingwood Netball team this year. I'll keep posting in the offseason as I hear any news as we move into season 2020.

Well that was a thoroughly disappointing end to what I think was a positive season. We had our challenges, starting with turning over half our squad, and then getting a season ending injury to one of the remaining 2018 squad members in Madi Browne, and a late start to another of our returning 2018 squad members in Matilda Garrett, also due to injury (I think in our first game of the season 7 out of 10 players were not with the team last year). By the end of the season it looked like we were clicking and we got some big wins over some good opponents late in the season, and our late charge to the finals resulted in a well earned finals birth.

I think our offseason recruiting leading into 2019 was strong with all our recruits showing something, though I think the jury is still out on Sinclair as a back up goaler. It was interesting that once the season started we rarely went to our bench and with Madi Browne going down, our bench players had very little flexibility, Garrett only seems to play GD and Sinclair only seems to play GA. The positional move of the year for me was switching Brazill and Ravallion with both players and the team benefiting from the move, with us able to use Brazill's flare over the whole court whilst Ravallion was a very good defender, with the flexibility to move to centre if we needed her.

Poi was a good last minute replacement for Madi Browne, whom you would hope be available for next season. It will be interesting to see if we stick with her as a replacement for Kelsey who you would expect to miss most of next year (all if they move the season forward to start earlier) or if we go fishing for a bigger named replacement given we have more time, and there is potentially more talent available through the offseason. To me our bench players of Poi, Garrett and Sinclair would be the most vulnerable to replacement if we were to make changes to our squad, given the lack of flexibility they offer coming off the bench.

Personally though, I would like to see minimal changes this offseason and give this squad the opportunity to build off of the work from the 2019 season. The other thing I wanted to mention before I sign off on this very long post, is that it was obvious this season that our coach Rob Wright has had more buy in from our players than our previous coach did, and that the results later in the season was as much about the players playing for him than anything. I do think he has brought a level of harmony to the group that makes me look at our netball squad and think that they area team, something that I didn't get off the group last year.

Anyway, thanks for those who took an interest in the Collingwood Netball team this year. I'll keep posting in the offseason as I hear any news as we move into season 2020.

Do you know if we’ve been getting good attendances turning up to games? Does it look like we’re getting good fan engagement?

Do you know if we’ve been getting good attendances turning up to games? Does it look like we’re getting good fan engagement?
I haven’t really followed that side of it this year. It seemed like there was good support at the couple of games I attended. It also seemed like those that were there were well into the netball so I’m not sure how much they are picking up from the football link. The Vixens are still the bigger Vic team (a bit like Crows v Power in SA). I dropped my membership this year because they jacked the price up. Last year they charged $40 to add a 3 game netball membership to my footy membership. This season they wanted charge $65 with no specified games allowance as they hadn’t worked out the cost of it but I was told I would likely have to pay more to get games included. I still bought GA tickets as I am into netball but I imagine this would not have helped with getting the footy membership base to pick it up. For me I think they’d get better take up if they provided a better linkages with the memberships. Maybe have a free GA ticket to a home match of their choice (excluding fully ticketed matches) included in the footy membership to encourage footy members to try it.

Maybe have a free GA ticket to a home match of their choice (excluding fully ticketed matches) included in the footy membership to encourage footy members to try it.

I had wondered about giving free admission to footy members for the netball game during the AFL bye round - but I think your idea is a better one.

Will give my “team” thoughts shortly

Disappointed but not surprised by today’s result

After letting everything sink in,

My thoughts.
Our loss to Vixens, outplayed, out coached, but given our list we finished about where I expected we'd finish. (4th/5th)

Goalers:
I said it at the start of the season, without a gun GA we were not winning finals. The 3 teams still playing have gun GA's. Steph Wood, Housby and Tegan Phillips.
Shimona whilst a great target, once our feeders get onto the ring, is essentially a one trick player.
It became obvious on Sunday that very rarely does she drive out on a lead to assist when the mid-court struggles, this makes setting up a defence against us easier.

Mid court.
Ash Braz - simply amazing
Kim P - ok
Kim R - just ok
Injuries hurt, M&K
But we are short thru the mid-court. No height at all.

Defensively

Geva - simply amazing
April - solid year, needs to rapidly improve the consistency in her attacking game.

Bench:
Limited.variability

Our mid-court got exposed tactically on Sunday, and I saw no signs of adjustment.
Compared to the previous game, Vixens chosen options were far shorter, a lot of give go, attack a player on receiving a pass thus self creating space. When April dropped off Tegan, Tegan adjusted and played the primary goaler role, working the ball with Moloney and Watson whilst Thwaites was double teamed. It was a GA master class and April didnt/couldnt shut it down.

We need a Fit Shimona (Who leads and moves)
We need a dynamic 4qtr GA (Nat is not it)
A tall young 3 position mid courter (they are around, the club needs to be brave and chose one for the future).
And we need a plan B & C in attack.

Maybe it was all the "interruptions " during the season, injury, world cup, robs mum, but it felt like we never got a system flowing that all players embraced game after game.

I look forward to 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back