News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

AFL Club
St Kilda
If he'd kicked straight in the first half of the season I don't think we'd be having the discussion.

He kicked 6.12 in the first 11 games of the season and before he was dropped he had the worst case of the yips we've seen for ages. Certainly played higher after he came back and got 25+ possessions in 5 of those games, but more importantly kicked a lot straighter (8.7)

That's the Billings we want to see - getting a lot of the ball and using it well and then also being a forward threat.

I hope we might see quite a few more players getting more midfield/wing minutes this year because we desperately need the likes of Gresh, Billings and Acres to step up and prove they can be AFL standard mids.

I'm hoping Longy might be the big surprise packet this year and even Paton, Parker and Lonie should get a look in.
They did play him off a wing later in the year but his kicking at goal early in the year caused him to lose all confidence. He should have been moved much earlier before the rot set it. In any event he will be changing thru the middle this year which will be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mat Mann

significantly pleased himself
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red Bull
Journalists, why would anybody care about what they say these days, so full of bias and prejudice for and against clubs and players. its about getting a story out 1st regardless of factual correctness or morality. True Journalism died an eon ago in the footy world.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Journalists, why would anybody care about what they say these days, so full of bias and prejudice for and against clubs and players. its about getting a story out 1st regardless of factual correctness or morality. True Journalism died an eon ago in the footy world.
Sad but ultimately true Mat. Current journalism standards are not driven by getting a real understanding of players, clubs and the AFL organisation but by exposure, sensationalism and "hits".

AFL Club
St Kilda
Sad but ultimately true Mat. Current journalism standards are not driven by getting a real understanding of players, clubs and the AFL organisation but by exposure, sensationalism and "hits".
It’s almost like if we want to be informed by well researched, accurate and grounded pieces of writing that the journalists need to be paid well rather than have their pay tied to clicks and hits. Who would of thought?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Underrated post.

st_trav_ofWA

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure if this is a worry or not considering it didn't work so well last year...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/01/14/no-drastic-game-plan-changes-coming-to-saints-says-phillips/

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
last season was terrible but i think it was more our skill errors that killed us more than anything that and the fact we struggled to get hands on the ball enough ... stats will show we entered the forward 50 a reasonable ammount and we defended fairly well but the last kick to find the target in the forward movements let us down ... i feel we will prob tweek the game plan but i dont reckon it woill be a compleate overhaul of it

BringBackPowerFwds

7.78 x Coleman medalist
AFL Club
St Kilda
last season was terrible but i think it was more our skill errors that killed us more than anything that and the fact we struggled to get hands on the ball enough ... stats will show we entered the forward 50 a reasonable ammount and we defended fairly well but the last kick to find the target in the forward movements let us down ... i feel we will prob tweek the game plan but i dont reckon it woill be a compleate overhaul of it
Surprisingly, we finished 2nd behind Collingwood for average disposals per game. We got enough of the ball but I agree with you that the quality of our ball use, particularly I50 was not at a consistently high enough level.
Our over-reliance on handball was where I felt we came unstuck. I have watched a couple of our pre season training sessions and the thing that struck me the most was players getting back quickly off the mark and moving the ball on quickly by foot. Perhaps this is one of the tweaks to our game plan but we won't really know until we start seeing the kick to handball ratios for the preseason games. Here's hoping we can kick it more because we have, and are going to have, some pretty mint
targets I50.

Nutsngum

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Surprisingly, we finished 2nd behind Collingwood for average disposals per game. We got enough of the ball but I agree with you that the quality of our ball use, particularly I50 was not at a consistently high enough level.
Our over-reliance on handball was where I felt we came unstuck. I have watched a couple of our pre season training sessions and the thing that struck me the most was players getting back quickly off the mark and moving the ball on quickly by foot. Perhaps this is one of the tweaks to our game plan but we won't really know until we start seeing the kick to handball ratios for the preseason games. Here's hoping we can kick it more because we have, and are going to have, some pretty mint
targets I50.
If someone can teach Seb Ross how to push back off a ******* mark I will mark it as a successful pre-season. Whoever were his junior coaches should be shot for not stamping that out early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom